Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

Advance Financial is moving their headquarters at 1901 Church St. to Wedgewood-Houston.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/01/advance-financial-optics-company-moving-into.html

Wonder if something is looming for the old commercial buildings they are vacating.

Maybe they just wanted to be in closer proximity to their client base...?

Really though, the article states things that the expanded space will have, like a fitness center, etc. There's definitely not enough room in their current facility for a gym or a health clinic.

Their current headquarters is across from Tony's apartment proposal on Church. Maybe they are just preparing for growth and the current building did not have room for them to grow. I can definitely see their building on Church getting bought quick and developed in the near future.

• Like 1

If I recall, Adv. Financial really has 2 buildings across the street from each other on Church.

They also have offices at 1816 Hayes (the brick building with red awnings in the background of your Street View capture) as well as Signature Center at 1900 Church (behind and to the right of the capture). It's a veritable campus.

On a semi-related note, Middle Tennessee Erosion placed a construction entrance and sediment tubes on the 1818 Church site this morning. They didn't leave much room for the palm trees, but the night is young.

• Like 2

Overhaul looms for the Demonbreun strip.

Not going to lie, I know the grocer is needed... but redeveloping the whole strip (which I can't tell from the article if they want to) seems like a bit of a waste given it's current popularity.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/01/exclusiveoverhaul-at-music-row-roundabout-targets.html?ana=twt

• Like 2

I have to say this proposal makes a lot of sense given the way the area is developing. We've all commented how Demonbreun from 21st to downtown is becoming a continuous strip of high/mid-rise residential, office and retail. This little strip of of retail has seen its evolution from country themed souvenir shops, to kitschy shops to trendy bars/restaurants. With the exception of Tin Roof, Dan McGuiness and Off Broadway, the retail spaces have been a revolving door of tenants in recent years and there are several vacancies today. Scarcity of parking is probably one reason tenants have had a tough go, and there is even less now.

I don't blame the property owners for rethinking this strip as a candidate for a hotel serving downtown and the MCC. It's closer than both Virgin and WES.

2525 West End is an ok model to emulate - except please don't copy 2525's setback and street front parking.

I have known about this for sometime but asked to keep it quiet. There may be more to this project.

May not be the only Publix either, one more for sure and maybe a third.

Since I know for a fact they are refurbishing the office space above Off Broadway Shoes right now, I'm assuming they're not going to tear down the strip of shops along Demonbruen.  So...does that mean they will build tall in the parking behind that strip of shops?  Or maybe they'll tear down a portion of the strip, closest to the Rhythm?

I hope they don't plan on tearing down most of that row. I love pedestrianized store fronts like that, and I think tearing it down would be a regression. Parking has never been an issue for me (I don't recall ever trying to park around there anyway, just walking or taking a cab to the strip of businesses).  And if it was an issue, it would be solved with a garage in that big lot in back.  As far as the Publix goes, there's plenty of space to build there with a parking garage that wouldn't mean ripping out one of the few organic pedestrian shopping/entertainment blocks outside of the CBD.

• Like 1

^ I hope you're right. It would be rather short-sighted to tear down that walkable retail strip right before the area becomes flooded with new residents and visitors from all the nearby development. All that area needs is a couple of public parking garages to take the place of the large lot people were utilizing before Element started across the street. 

I wonder if they're going to be a little late to the game in regards to a grocery store. With the North Gulch/NW Mutual site getting a full grocery and Aertson trying to land one there may be two under construction before this is even announced.

Nw Mutual one is years away and if it in fact ends up being Whole Foods wouldn't overlap with Publix anyway. And from earlier reports of square footage in Aertson that one isn't likely to be a full on grocery.

The parking lot would be the most likely location.

I disagree. That strip is struggling at the moment because of lack of parking. It needs to become more of a neighborhood destination with the influx of new residents. Just to clarify:it doesn't sound like the strip is being torn down, but that the parking areas will be built up.

The NBJ journalist who wrote the story said it's his understanding it will just be the parking lots.

Edited by ariesjow
  • Like 1