Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

Crap, I saw that and forgot about it. Too much to see on a drive anymore. need to start recording my comments as I drive.

Thanks for posting Pete

The overwhelming majority of us do feel ingratiated for all your efforts for graphic eyecandies (and "muffins"), but we also realize that you kaint catch "everthang", you know.  That's what the rest of us are for, like PHofKS, who since his official retirement seems to have "gone to work" harder these days than he probably had to do before [LoL].. That's also a lot of gas and tire wear on you, not to mention your doing a balancing act of driving and pausing every which way, while trying not to pi$$ off those who (dare) get behind you in the lanes.

-==-

Well that is what I heard sometime ago. Over a year ago actually. I have also heard the number of stories the residential/Retail building will be. I think the hotel will go on the other end on Demonbreun. I have a bad feeling the stone house will come down.

That is a cool old house.  As much as I like preservation, I can understand that house being torn down though, being that close to the interstate and in the middle of what it's in the middle of.

Edited by titanhog

^Actually, I was more concerned about these: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=36.146963,-86.791461&spn=0.000009,0.005284&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=36.146963,-86.792487&panoid=fpsZm83vABzAC-vm9GN8qQ&cbp=12,306.07,,0,-4.48

I thought these would be razed for the project, but apparently they're not in the footprint, since it looks like the apartment building will only go to the alleyway and not all the way to Music Square East (unless I misread the plans). Still, I'm not crazy about more of these old houses falling. 

The answer to the question is ........................................YES

FMJ, everything from the corner of 17th & Grand to the old UA tower is in the footprint including the Queen Ann.

• Like 1

The answer to the question is ........................................YES

FMJ, everything from the corner of 17th & Grand to the old UA tower is in the footprint including the Queen Ann.

Glad to get rid of the UA tower - that is some seriously ugly architecture.  

I find it hard to believe they're going to tear town that tower. That's way beyond the scale of knocking down a few houses. Are you sure the UA tower is in the footprint? If it is, that's great, but I just don't see a developer spending that kind of coin to demo that tower for a medium sized apartment complex. That's quite a project in itself that would probably take months (if not longer) and millions of dollars. 

I find it hard to believe they're going to tear town that tower. That's way beyond the scale of knocking down a few houses. Are you sure the UA tower is in the footprint? If it is, that's great, but I just don't see a developer spending that kind of coin to demo that tower for a medium sized apartment complex. That's quite a project in itself that would probably take months (if not longer) and millions of dollars. 

UA tower isn't included

Nw Mutual one is years away and if it in fact ends up being Whole Foods wouldn't overlap with Publix anyway. And from earlier reports of square footage in Aertson that one isn't likely to be a full on grocery.

I'm hoping for a Trader Joe's at Aertson

I like the UA Tower.  Is it attractive?  No.  Of course not.  But oddball, ecletic stuff like that is part of what makes urban living so interesting and stimulating to me.  So many contrasts and flavors and colors and smells etc. etc...living in a place with just a bunch of modern glass boxes, though individually on their own unoffensive to look at, is completely boring and to me would be like living in a place with a bunch of people that look like Barbie and Ken dolls...

... haha

...just like the "Golden Pineapple" geodesic dome of the former First American Bank on 51st Ave and Charlotte (Now Regions Bank).  Back in around '65, that was the "It" of banks in Nashv’l , back when the '64-65 New York World's Fair set the trend for the "mathematical" new wave of modernism, thematically perpetuated at Expo 67 (Montreal) with the construction of the grand U.S. Pavilion.

mirydi probably recalls a considerably larger Gold Dome structure, the former Citizens State Bank (1958) of OK City, saved from the wrecking ball, after concerned “citizens” had been successful in locating a conscientious buyer.  I think that, in its own right, our "Pineapple" has also has become one of those "leave-me-alone" urban specimens.

-==-

Nashville’s Golden “Pineapple” Geodesic-Domed Bank

af6ec413-ad2d-4b03-b707-08ce3f1dc716_zps

U.S. Pavilion and MiniRail – Montreal Expo 67

usa_pav_expo67_zps4dzevzyv.jpg

PreservationNation Blog - National Trust for Historic Preservation

http://blog.preservationnation.org/trust-news/#.VNFxbC4-UuI

Oklahoma City's Gold Dome Bank (PreservationNation Blog)

http://blog.preservationnation.org/2012/05/30/25-years-of-the-11-most-endangered-list-oklahoma-citys-gold-dome-bank/#.VNFx-y4-UuI

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 4

Demo has started on the two houses occupying the space that will become the Split Rock Townhomes on Avoca in West End park.  

Welcome to the forum gilmeras. Always great to see a new poster here.

Glad to see this project is moving forward. some dead space will be filled in.

Take note there is also another project in the works on the opposite side of Long on up the hill where that ugly white building sits on the corner of Long and Nason.

There is another one not too far from there. I cant give location yet as is not public. Both of these are small.

Welcome to the forum gilmeras. Always great to see a new poster here.

Glad to see this project is moving forward. some dead space will be filled in.

Take note there is also another project in the works on the opposite side of Long on up the hill where that ugly white building sits on the corner of Long and Nason.

There is another one not too far from there. I cant give location yet as is not public. Both of these are small.

Thanks!  I should have taken a photo this morning.  I've always hated that ugly white building, so will be good to see it go.  It seems the area is finally starting to realize its potential, but I would love to see some ground level retail...perhaps along 31st between Long and Parthenon where the dilapidated apartments are. 

West End Park has the density to be a very solid urban community...but something about it just feels so incredibly disjointed to me.  It's as if each structure has absolutely no relationship with the one's neighboring it whatsoever.  It feels like a collection of randomly placed structures rather than a cohesive neighborhood.

• Like 2

West End Park has the density to be a very solid urban community...but something about it just feels so incredibly disjointed to me.  It's as if each structure has absolutely no relationship with the one's neighboring it whatsoever.  It feels like a collection of randomly placed structures rather than a cohesive neighborhood.

I agree completely.  Also there is a weird mix of residential and office space, with few (good) restaurants and no real retail.  The Urban Design Overlay was supposed to address some of the inconsistency, but from what I can tell, it may as well have been written on toilet paper.  The developers are not being held to the letter, or even spirit, of that document.  

• Like 1