Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

And another letdown...

B9316215945Z.1_20150211170959_000_G7B9UA

Going in the newly vacant lot  across from the just finished Renasant Bank on West End per the Tennessean...

Looks like a suburban Cool Springs located bank. Do you really need the ugly sign? Its plastered all over the bank itself.

Edited by Paramount747

You were just adding for emphasis.

I do think this decision will create far reaching ripples that will affect developments along the Row for years to come. A relatively short delay that will (hopefully) lead to a better product is worth it, in my opinion.

One can hope but I am a bit pessimistic about this whole thing. I would be really angry if I were a property owner and wanted to monetize my holdings.

Also,  if Music Row is something the city really values, can we start improving the roads and sidewalks? It really is incredible how pothole ridden 16th S is right now, and the sidewalks are in disrepair. So if this really was an area where tourists went(which it is not aside from the Music Row ghost tours, lol), can we start investing some money in infrastructure. If we do not allow development we will be left with even more vacant businesses and unkept alleyways, which no one wants.

One can hope but I am a bit pessimistic about this whole thing. I would be really angry if I were a property owner and wanted to monetize my holdings.

There is nothing the city can do to prevent an owner from monetizing his or her holdings as long as it is consistent with current zoning.  What is being implemented is a soft moratorium on any zoning change.  The rules really haven't changed at all, and the owners of this land have never had the right to build something that is inconsistent with zoning, although I think many developers and owners do feel they have the absolute right to do with their land whatever they see fit.  I understand that argument, but it is inconsistent with our set of laws that are currently in place.

There is nothing the city can do to prevent an owner from monetizing his or her holdings as long as it is consistent with current zoning.  What is being implemented is a soft moratorium on any zoning change.  The rules really haven't changed at all, and the owners of this land have never had the right to build something that is inconsistent with zoning, although I think many developers and owners do feel they have the absolute right to do with their land whatever they see fit.  I understand that argument, but it is inconsistent with our set of laws that are currently in place.

Agreed completely, however if you do not allow zoning changes you will see properties in this area fall further into disrepair. Sometimes I feel like I am the only one on this board who drives down these streets often. The revitalization of Music Row is beginning to spread to Edgehill and up towards 12th, and eventually hopefully all the way to 8th. I worry that changes will prevent this from happening and keep this area poor and crime ridden.

Agreed completely, however if you do not allow zoning changes you will see properties in this area fall further into disrepair. Sometimes I feel like I am the only one on this board who drives down these streets often. The revitalization of Music Row is beginning to spread to Edgehill and up towards 12th, and eventually hopefully all the way to 8th. I worry that changes will prevent this from happening and keep this area poor and crime ridden.

I drive and walk these streets every day as I live in the neighborhood. My house shares an alley with 16th Ave. As for the area being crime ridden and poor, I would respectfully disagree. On my street you can hardly find a house without a terminal degree of some sort, and crime has never been lower. Empty lots and tear downs are now selling for $350,000 and new builds are selling for well over $500,000.  We get occasional property crime, but drug dealing and violence have been removed from the neighborhood for years.

The residential revitalization in and around Edgehill Village have proceeded largely without any zoning changes. There is one property along Sigler that received an SP that nearing a start date, but other than that development has proceeded in accordance with current zoning. Even the large-ish development on Wade was consistent with base zoning.   Even along Music Row proper there is ongoing development that fits within current zoning. The new SESAC headquarters was built by right, and the Forestar Group is building an apartment development with a little retail that is essentially by right. They technically made it an SP to minimally alter some setbacks and to get and additional 5-10% of additional units, but it would have likely been viable without the SP.

• Like 2

I drive and walk these streets every day as I live in the neighborhood. My house shares an alley with 16th Ave. As for the area being crime ridden and poor, I would respectfully disagree. On my street you can hardly find a house without a terminal degree of some sort, and crime has never been lower. Empty lots and tear downs are now selling for $350,000 and new builds are selling for well over $500,000.  We get occasional property crime, but drug dealing and violence have been removed from the neighborhood for years.

The residential revitalization in and around Edgehill Village have proceeded largely without any zoning changes. There is one property along Sigler that received an SP that nearing a start date, but other than that development has proceeded in accordance with current zoning. Even the large-ish development on Wade was consistent with base zoning.   Even along Music Row proper there is ongoing development that fits within current zoning. The new SESAC headquarters was built by right, and the Forestar Group is building an apartment development with a little retail that is essentially by right. They technically made it an SP to minimally alter some setbacks and to get and additional 5-10% of additional units, but it would have likely been viable without the SP.

I live slightly further away on 18th, however the crime thing may have something to do with the new police station. But as you move from music row to the Edgehill projects and particularly as you cross 12th on Edgehill, that is not an area most people would want to live in now. That can change, and I hope it does.

Surely you cannot deny that Music Row at this point in time is not being utilized to its best and highest use? Many of the existing small labels and law firms will be gone within a few years imo, industry change will make this happen.  What will take these firms places? Will the dilapidated homes on Music Row be kept up? Will it become a walkable neighborhood instead of a thoroughfare between Vandy/Belmont and Demonbreun/40/65 as it is now?

Fyi, JJs is owned by same Korean fellow who also owns Bobby's Dairy Dip. Would not expect much nostalga from the owner.

JJ's is owned by a Nashville native named Won Choi who owns several other buildings of historic value in town, including the first Federal Reserve building downtown.  He is a shrewd real estate investor who inherited JJs, then bought several properties in town of historical significance. He bought a building recently that was proposed for a hotel that he was to be a joint investor with, but the deal fell through.  I heard it was a group affiliated with Brown Hotels (??).  I am not sure who the Brown hotel people are, possibly the people behind the 21c hotel. I heard it was the "Branstetter Building"? 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/11/20/nashville-investor-buys-downtown-office-building/70029450/

Edited by MLBrumby

JJ's is owned by a Nashville native named Won Choi who owns several other buildings of historic value in town, including the first Federal Reserve building downtown. He is a shrewd real estate investor who inherited JJs, then bought several properties in town of historical significance. He bought a building recently that was proposed for a hotel that he was to be a joint investor with, but the deal fell through. I heard it was a group affiliated with Brown Hotels (??). I am not sure who the Brown hotel people are, possibly the people behind the 21c hotel. I heard it was the "Branstetter Building"?

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/11/20/nashville-investor-buys-downtown-office-building/70029450/

Wrong JJ's. Choi owns JJ's bistro, which is nowhere near here. Sam Huh owns the market and Bobby's. Great guy.

A Noshville employee says that the developer of the proposed apartment highrise on that property is working to acquire the JJ's market building for an expanded project.  I guess that isn't surprising, but I would consider that another loss.

I heard that a while back when I was there. Interestingly, there are utility markings in the alley behind JJ's.

JJ's is owned by a Nashville native named Won Choi who owns several other buildings of historic value in town, including the first Federal Reserve building downtown.  He is a shrewd real estate investor who inherited JJs, then bought several properties in town of historical significance. He bought a building recently that was proposed for a hotel that he was to be a joint investor with, but the deal fell through.  I heard it was a group affiliated with Brown Hotels (??).  I am not sure who the Brown hotel people are, possibly the people behind the 21c hotel. I heard it was the "Branstetter Building"? 

As far as this building goes, there have been utility markings on both sides of the 21c and the building recently sold. It would be interesting if 21c expanded their project.

Not appropriate for that site at all. I can't believe stuff like the Cook Out and this are still allowed in the same suburban style layout. Hideous.

Aren't there overlays for that area?  Or perhaps there is an overlay but it's just one with weak language that only requires a portion of the building address a sidewalk?