Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

It would be nice but I can't help but cringe at what that intersection would be like during construction. They would probably close off a lane each of West End and Broadway.

If WES were ever built, I'd kind of like to see the Import Auto triangle turned into a plaza with a centerpiece public art project or fountain with some height.

• Like 1

If WES were ever built, I'd kind of like to see the Import Auto triangle turned into a plaza with a centerpiece public art project or fountain with some height.

Whatever goes there, I hope it's a "statement" piece.  Whether it's art...a fountain...observation tower...or an office tower / hotel.

• Like 1

There is a Tazikis (maybe more) in Chattanooga... it was packed the other day when I went to the adjacent Dick's Sporting Goods store. I assume it's the same.  Told my son we'd have to try it out. 

Taziki's already has several locations in Nashville:  Green Hills, West End, Hermitage, Mt Juliet, and Cool Springs with two more about to open in Brentwood and downtown Franklin.

Taziki's already has several locations in Nashville:  Green Hills, West End, Hermitage, Mt Juliet, and Cool Springs with two more about to open in Brentwood and downtown Franklin.

Oh... I thought the name was Taziki's, but I could have been mistaken (it was the first time I saw it).   I was driving, so it might have been a similar name by a Chattanooga or Atlanta company (we tend to get a lot of Atlanta ideas).  It looked like Mediterranean, but there are so many of those places popping up around everywhere that it's probably a similar concept.  Whatever this place in Chatty is, it will have to be better than Ankar's if they want my business. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

Ankars!! Man do I miss that place...used to go there all the time when I'd visit my grandparents during the summer as a kid...i can't even put my finger on what made it so memorable to me...but the flavors were so unique that I can still remember them to this day.

• Like 1

Isn't the "Octagon Building" called the United Artists' Tower ?

In any event, I hope they're not demolishing these two houses:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=36.147232,-86.793419&spn=0.000006,0.002642&t=h&deg=180&z=19&layer=c&cbll=36.147142,-86.792454&panoid=_wcX0d9J7fF-P50q9h29_g&cbp=12,263.52,,0,-6.26

This from the deck surrounding the "octogon building".  Not much left although I thought they were taking out the old SESAC building as well.  Its still there.

IMG_0432.JPG

Yuck... that old SESAC building is F-uggles!  That's one Music Row structure that can fall to rubble. 

With this much new construction, I'm curious why they haven't done something to better address the roundabout.   The plans include a new parking garage, so it seems unnecessary to preserve the small parking lot that fronts the roundabout.     This seems like a missed opportunity to create an urban design that is a better fit with the vertical presence of Element and Roundabout Plaza.  

With this much new construction, I'm curious why they haven't done something to better address the roundabout.   The plans include a new parking garage, so it seems unnecessary to preserve the small parking lot that fronts the roundabout.     This seems like a missed opportunity to create an urban design that is a better fit with the vertical presence of Element and Roundabout Plaza.  

This is the portion directly in front of Dan McGuinness, correct? My only thought is that this parcel may be under different ownership and they weren't on board with losing it. I imagine a dedicated off-street location for a valet stand is more valuable now than ever in this district.

This is the portion directly in front of Dan McGuinness, correct? My only thought is that this parcel may be under different ownership and they weren't on board with losing it. I imagine a dedicated off-street location for a valet stand is more valuable now than ever in this district.

That's entirely possible, I thought about that.    The proposal doesn't seem to touch Dan McGuinness and the parking lot, so it very well may be under separate ownership.   

While they become "calculated" risks as they age, I miss many of the masonry stacks that once "adorned" (or scourged) the skylines of cities from various vantage points.  Can't recall exactly, but during the last 20- 30-something years, Vandy tore down the older of its two heating-plant stacks, and for many years, most universities and colleges have converted from coal to natural gas as a power source for their central- or distributed-power heating systems.  Fisk had done that as far back as the early '70s, I believe, and it had been one of a very few (if any others in the region), which had its coal delivered directly by rail (onto a coal tipple track directly over indoor storage bins.  For many years, Vandy continued to maintain a pile of coal (delivered by Alley-Cassetty Transport).  While most if not all higher-education campuses converted to more efficient (and cleaner) gas-fired units, the stacks often remained as flue-vents for the exhaust.  Many, however, had simply remained idle and abandoned, awaiting eventual demolition, and while these tall stacks often had been constructed to be hefty and stocky, deterioration of masonry joints often have transformed these beasts into towering hazards, especially during seasons of high wind shear and other atmospheric disturbances.

I am surprised that Fisk has not razed its long abandoned central-heating plant smoke-stack (which during the early-mid '90s had been converted from natural-gas to kerosene as a stand-by unit, to protect the 5 or 6 smaller modular gas-fired units installed by Honeywell.  Although it is not mid-campus as is the Vandy smokestack, it's probably only a matter of time that the university will be required to remove it, before it collapses (although it might still be inspected and considered as safe).

One of my favorite masonry smokestacks had been the more modern, postwar erected chimney built of yellow brick to match the main plant which formerly had been Western Electric, just off Woodycrest and Fessler Ln. near the Trevecca University campus.  This stack, once readily noticeable from eastbound I-440 as it passed over I-65, came down sometime during the early 2000s, I believe.  Other than the Fisk stack,  I can almost count the few remaining ones, including Rolling Mill (former Nashville General Hospital), TSU main campus, and most notably the 3 monster stacks of Carlex Company (formerly the Ford Glass Plant), off Briley Pkwy (between the river and Centennial Blvd.)

As sentimental as I tend to be, I won't really miss that Vandy stack, and I was just thinking about it last month while turning at 24th and Vanderbilt Pl.

-==-

• Like 2