Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

What was torn down on west end just west of 440? I hope it wasnt more historic homes

Someone said that Welch college has been demolished... and the only thing standing is the old library building.  I believe most of the original buildings on the campus were (at one time) large homes.

It was Welch's campus and most of the buildings were converted houses. Not sure about their historical value.

I had originally hoped that the developer would keep the houses and build more in between them, but looking back at Google Street View I see there wasn't enough room for that. As is, this development should increase density while keeping the single-family home feel on that side of West End. Just wish they would accommodate a wider roadway for future BRT.

Giarratana has a demo permit for 821 19th Ave S. It is a 0.19 acre lot between Division and Chet Atkins.

http://m.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2015/06/giarratana-to-demolish-midtown-building.html

I also notice that this is adjacent to a couple lots that are owned by the same people at 817 and 819 19th Ave S. Those lots, if combined with 821 would give 0.47 acres total.

It is across the road from Lennar's future M Residences, near The Terwiliger-Pappas development recently announced, and only a block or so from the Aertson. Could this be the next residential project for the area?

Giarratana has a demo permit for 821 19th Ave S. It is a 0.19 acre lot between Division and Chet Atkins.

http://m.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2015/06/giarratana-to-demolish-midtown-building.html

I also notice that this is adjacent to a couple lots that are owned by the same people at 817 and 819 19th Ave S. Those lots, if combined with 821 would give 0.47 acres total.

It is across the road from Lennar's future M Residences, near The Terwiliger-Pappas development recently announced, and only a block or so from the Aertson. Could this be the next residential project for the area?

My uneducated guess - probably.

I noticed the Checkers on West End had closed. Is there any knowledge regarding this site?

Cook Out was the last straw. That's a difficult location and too small to do anything to fix it. The former TGI Friday's at the other end of the block is still vacant, too.

I noticed the Checkers on West End had closed. Is there any knowledge regarding this site?

I don't know if there's any connection, but the one in Madison closed, too. I wonder if they went out of business or are experiencing corporate downsizing? 

Edited by NikOnder

Warning: Tangential commentary ahead.

West End, in general, has become much less pedestrian-friendly in recent years. While Checkers is obviously a drive-through business, Friday's and the rest of that parcel don't have any obvious parking for their usage other than the five or six on-street parking spots out front. I wonder how much effect this lack of easy access had on the closure of TGIF and whether the writing is on the (interior) wall for the rest of them?

I hadn't really ever considered this during the AMP debate, but it's obvious that people very much want to keep West End as a means of quickly traversing to/from Downtown on the west side. It is interesting to realize how incongruent this is with their simultaneous argument against the AMP because of the negative effect it would have on local businesses due to traffic concerns, as well as impacting the general walkability of the neighborhood.

From what we see here, the smaller businesses on West End are failing precisely as a result of this unimpeded flow of traffic. In my opinion, West End could benefit from traffic calming efforts, wider (and greener) sidewalks, etc. If we want West End to be a straight-shot highway in and out of the city, let's limit access and make it such a thing. Otherwise, let's not delude ourselves into thinking we can have it both ways.

Edited by Vrtigo
  • Like 4

Warning: Tangential commentary ahead.

West End, in general, has become much less pedestrian-friendly in recent years. While Checkers is obviously a drive-through business, Friday's and the rest of that parcel don't have any obvious parking for their usage other than the five or six on-street parking spots out front. I wonder how much effect this lack of easy access had on the closure of TGIF and whether the writing is on the (interior) wall for the rest of them?

I hadn't really ever considered this during the AMP debate, but it's obvious that people very much want to keep West End as a means of quickly traversing to/from Downtown on the west side. It is interesting to realize how incongruent this is with their simultaneous argument against the AMP because of the negative effect it would have on local businesses due to traffic concerns, as well as impacting the general walkability of the neighborhood.

From what we see here, the smaller businesses on West End are failing precisely as a result of this unimpeded flow of traffic. In my opinion, West End could benefit from traffic calming efforts, wider (and greener) sidewalks, etc. If we want West End to be a straight-shot highway in and out of the city, let's limit access and make it such a thing. Otherwise, let's not delude ourselves into thinking we can have it both ways.

There is parking behind the former TGIF spot for all the businesses in that strip.

• Like 2

Simply eliminating left-hand/cross-traffic turns off of and onto West End outside of the controlled intersections would help immensely.

I've been preaching for years about the need to eliminate the center turn lane, but it always falls on deaf ears. It's just inconceivable to Nashville drivers not to have them. Instead, we are installing them on bridges (Church St.) where they are completely pointless. I will never understand this city's obsession with such a dangerous traffic device.

• Like 2

I live in the West End Park neighborhood and have a general question regarding the recent uptick in development that I'm hoping one of you gurus can answer.  Several years ago, an Urban Design Overlay document for the area was drafted, and I am fond of many of the ideas discussed in it.  It seems, however, that this document has done absolutely nothing with respect to recent additions - The West End Village apartment complex on the corner of Long and 31st, for example, has no mixed use square footage even though that parcel is explicitly mentioned as ideal for that use.  It seems the Metro Planning Commission has to provide approval for deviations from the rules laid out in the Overlay, but what recourse do I, as a resident, have when they blindly approve these changes?  Thanks for any thoughts you can offer.

I live in the West End Park neighborhood and have a general question regarding the recent uptick in development that I'm hoping one of you gurus can answer.  Several years ago, an Urban Design Overlay document for the area was drafted, and I am fond of many of the ideas discussed in it.  It seems, however, that this document has done absolutely nothing with respect to recent additions - The West End Village apartment complex on the corner of Long and 31st, for example, has no mixed use square footage even though that parcel is explicitly mentioned as ideal for that use.  It seems the Metro Planning Commission has to provide approval for deviations from the rules laid out in the Overlay, but what recourse do I, as a resident, have when they blindly approve these changes?  Thanks for any thoughts you can offer.

Preaching to the choir.  Seems no planning document survives the next developer's big idea. 

• Like 2