Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

The Buckingham project is back on the Planning Commision agenda for next week. The name they are using is "Nashville West End". I expect this will pass with no problems.

On a related note the Wendy's at that location is on a month to month lease with a 30 day notice and the two buildings between the Sushi restaurant have been shuttered and fenced off.

Ongoing projects:

Kissam Hall Vandy

Indoor practice faciltiy @ Vandy

West End Village

Park Central

Homewood Suites

Elliston 23

Lentz Health clinic

Proposed and Rumored

West End Summit (start date January)

Spring Hill Suites and Residence Inn (anytime)

Renasant Bank (6 months)

Nashville West End (Buckingham) ??

Project @ Mrs Winners site

Baptist Hospital Project ??

Faison Apartment project on the Round About

Chris Moore Building

Vastland Building on Hayes ( A big ? here as this has been proposed for a while, but may get new life with the WES starting)

One City

Now  I am hearing the project may only be 1 story. If that  the case, it waste of real estate.Should have just rehabed the Mrs Winners. Developers need to understand that land is precious and needs to be utilized to the highest degree possible. If this is the case, then I will be very dissapointed and upset with XMi.You have to realize that you have to go up on a major road like West End. Sell the land and let someone else develop it.

• Like 1

Now  I am hearing the project may only be 1 story. If that  the case, it waste of real estate.Should have just rehabed the Mrs Winners. Developers need to understand that land is precious and needs to be utilized to the highest degree possible. If this is the case, then I will be very dissapointed and upset with XMi.You have to realize that you have to go up on a major road like West End. Sell the land and let someone else develop it.

There are very few 1 story buildings on West End that I'm OK with. The little strip with the TGI Fridays, Five Guys, and Jason's is OK. It could be better...but it's OK. But in general, I think anything new going up should strive to be mixed use and at least 3-5 floors. Sure, there can be exceptions. But I'm in agreement...the land on that thoroughfare is too valuable to buy land to build new 1 story buildings. Even if it is a smaller plot. That particular area of Midtown is humming with activity, and I think it would just be a waste to not put something noteworthy there.

I like the "spirit" of the project, but I don't like the side that fronts 21st. It doesn't really fit in with the other commercial buildings, and IMO doesn't really contrast well either. It's sort of funny to me how every other side of this building looks flat or at least symmetrical, while this side just looks like a jumble to me.

Also not a fan of the colors. It just doesn't sit there and look like....Hillsboro Village. I think this project -- as is -- would look better in either 12th South or East Nashville. JMO.

I like the "spirit" of the project, but I don't like the side that fronts 21st. It doesn't really fit in with the other commercial buildings, and IMO doesn't really contrast well either. It's sort of funny to me how every other side of this building looks flat or at least symmetrical, while this side just looks like a jumble to me.

Also not a fan of the colors. It just doesn't sit there and look like....Hillsboro Village. I think this project -- as is -- would look better in either 12th South or East Nashville. JMO.

Yea, it unfortunately reminds me of the Velocity in the Gulch. Both look like a hodgepodge of different buildings mashed together. This one is definitely the better of the two by a long shot, though.  

IDK, but maybe the front of the building along 21st Ave has to look "shorter" with the multiple setbacks. That being said, seems they could really make the building look much better with many deco elements.  More curves would be nice.  Also, the sides along the other streets look a lot like the sort of apartment buildings with parking underneath that are all over LA... they're called "dingbats", no kidding.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/84178582@N00/3757305916/   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingbat_(building)

dingbat-la-brea-avenue-los-angeles.jpg

Edited by MLBrumby

It's interesting. For sure. But I think I only like the section next to Bosco's. The rest that is fronting 21st is kinda wayyyy out of place. I agree with the sentiment that this design would be better suited in East Nashville/12S/Gulch/Germantown. 21st is certainly more of a, overall, art deco/neo-classical (Methodist Church) vibe.

I like it, I just hope when all is said and done it has a touch more color.  Once the commercial area is occupied the vendors may give it a bit more life.  Sad to see the old facades go, especially the one on the right with the two little dormers. [edit-I just drove by there and I guess I'm thinking of the two little bay windows, not dormers]  And I wish they'd let them build a third floor, this area has a terrible shortage of housing.

I hope it gets some interesting local shops, and not a Wendy's or something.

Edited by Neigeville

It's interesting. For sure. But I think I only like the section next to Bosco's. The rest that is fronting 21st is kinda wayyyy out of place. I agree with the sentiment that this design would be better suited in East Nashville/12S/Gulch/Germantown. 21st is certainly more of a, overall, art deco/neo-classical (Methodist Church) vibe.

You know, it doesn't have to be brick like the other buildings, but I'm just curious why there are so many setbacks on the 21st side. It's not a setback for the entire length. Some sections are 2, even 3 stories. Others are set back just above the retail base. There's just no...continuity. I'd be fine with a full setback behind the ground floor retail (since there are a lot of 1 story retail buildings in the village), or a setback after 2 floors. Or even a full 3 floors. Either way, there's precedent for that in other places along the village.

I kind of like how they attempted to make the ground floor retail somewhat resemble the rest of the strip with different materials/colors to make it look like separate buildings. It's just that it's not consistent on top.

There's also an opportunity to use a wide array of colors for the building (especially ground floor). From subtle to bold. Reds, greens, blues, yellows, black, maroon, orange, indigo, whatever you like. Really...there are not a ton of places in Nashville where you can get away with that. If it comes out like the rendering...it's bleh. Unimaginative.

Actually...to be honest. It wouldn't be a terrible move if they just cut or copied the first 5 feet deep of the existing retail facade and built the modern residential component as-is (except for the front face) behind it. They could set the residential back 5-10 feet and use the roof of the retail as a balcony space. Just a thought.

• Like 1