Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

19 minutes ago, bnacincy said:

We need a lot more office space on Music Row....that would help get music companies back and maybe even relieve downtown congestion a bit.

And again, where or what is Music Square?

The problem is that so many of the music companies that have occupied Music Row over the decades are "mom and pop" type companies...small companies with smaller pocketbooks and unable to pay the rent that an office building would demand...especially a new office building.  That's why if you build large, new office buildings on Music Row, it will chase many of these small publishing companies off of the Row.  So many of these bungalows have been subdivided and contain 2-3 businesses in each building (in some instances)...and they share the rent cost.

I believe Music Square runs from the Roundabout down 17th to Grand Ave...then across to 16th and back up to the Roundabout.  So...17th to Grand is Music Sq W...and 16 from Grand to the Roundabout is Music Square E (or something like that).  It's never made sense to me why they named it that.  Should just keep it 17th and 16th.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2018 at 10:36 AM, nashvylle said:

the Element truly is a beautiful building. 

Does anyone know how leasing has gone there? 

The last I heard was probably from like a year + ago, and it was one of those “too much luxury housing” pieces. They said at the time it was like 20% full, but I’m sure it’s much higher now. I bet the bell-weather is when they start Kenect. I don’t think they’d start it unless the buildings in the area were approaching maximum capacity. 

Edited by Pdt2f
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, titanhog said:

The problem is that so many of the music companies that have occupied Music Row over the decades are "mom and pop" type companies...small companies with smaller pocketbooks and unable to pay the rent that an office building would demand...especially a new office building.  That's why if you build large, new office buildings on Music Row, it will chase many of these small publishing companies off of the Row.  So many of these bungalows have been subdivided and contain 2-3 businesses in each building (in some instances)...and they share the rent cost.

I believe Music Square runs from the Roundabout down 17th to Grand Ave...then across to 16th and back up to the Roundabout.  So...17th to Grand is Music Sq W...and 16 from Grand to the Roundabout is Music Square E (or something like that).  It's never made sense to me why they named it that.  Should just keep it 17th and 16th.

How about just enough new office space to get the major companies back without running off the smaller players? I'm thinking when tourists come to Nashville and go to Music Row they want to see the companies that produced their favorite music and not a bunch of apartments and condos, which is the direction it seems to be headed.

Speaking of "Music Square", why not call 17th and 16th avenues Music Row West and Music Row East, respectively? If you want a "Music Square" then put a real square in the middle of the district between 17th and 16th avenues and surround it with some restaurants and bars and perhaps even a Music Row Museum. That would appeal to tourists, office workers, and residents and give the area a little more activity not only during the day but particularly in the evening.

• Like 2

Moxy Hotel Hillsboro Village (6 stories, 130 rooms, 47 residential units, restaurant, garage) update.  Tower crane up, foundational walls on south and SE corner underway.

Looking west from near intersection of Belcourt Ave. and 19th Ave. South:

Moxy Hotel, Hillsboro Village, March 9, 2018, 1.jpg

Looking east from 20th Ave. South, 1/2 block south of Belcourt Ave:

Moxy Hotel, Hillsboro Village, March 9, 2018, 2.jpg

Looking north from 20th Ave. South, 1/2 block south of Belcourt Ave:

Moxy Hotel, Hillsboro Village, March 9, 2018, 3.jpg

• Like 2

Bob Bernstein, owner of Bongo Java, bought the building at 2005 Belmont Blvd a few years ago. There is potential for retail or restaurant use of the property, along with some possible mixed-use development. Late last week, Eater Nashville reported it might be an Air BnB type property.

But in an email to the Nashville Business Journal, Bernstein says no definite decision has been made for the property. He said the building could include short-term rental units — a model other developers have used to create quasi-hotels in a handful of projects around Nashville — but he called the "Bongo Hotel" moniker cited by Eater a "one of many working names," and not his favorite.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/03/12/bongo-java-owner-mulls-apartments-short-term.html

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 4.16.15 PM.png

6 hours ago, titanhog said:

Talked to a developer tonight who told me they're working on a mixed-use project they're trying to get going on West End sometime in the near future that will be at least 20 stories.  He wouldn't tell me any more than that. ^_^

On West End? That would be interesting.

2 hours ago, PHofKS said:

On West End? That would be interesting.

Yeah...he said the words "on West End"...but then, before I could ask him more, we were interrupted and that was it.  As he was telling me, he said, "I can't say much about this because it's in the early stages, but we're looking at doing a mixed use project on West End that's pretty exciting.  Should be at least 20 stories, which will look pretty tall there."

• Like 3

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

Something percolating at 31st Ave. North and Bellwood in West End Park:

31st & Bellwood, Mar 10, 2018.jpg

Hopefully this will have some kind of restaurant or retail component. The neighborhood's coming along nicely but you still have to go all the way out to West End or over next to the park to go anywhere.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

Yeah...he said the words "on West End"...but then, before I could ask him more, we were interrupted and that was it.  As he was telling me, he said, "I can't say much about this because it's in the early stages, but we're looking at doing a mixed use project on West End that's pretty exciting.  Should be at least 20 stories, which will look pretty tall there."

Hope it's at the current Rite Aid location between Elliston and West End...we could use a modern twist on the Flatiron bldg. there.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bnacincy said:

Hope it's at the current Rite Aid location between Elliston and West End...we could use a modern twist on the Flatiron bldg. there.

nope,  i would normally agree, but i actually like that quirky building.   and it has been there for ever.  but between 23rd and 24th where that strip mall is,  yes by all means put it there!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, volsfanwill said:

nope,  i would normally agree, but i actually like that quirky building.   and it has been there for ever.  but between 23rd and 24th where that strip mall is,  yes by all means put it there!

Totally agreed... quirky is the right word!  I love it!

• Like 1

Update on the property at 1701 West End Ave. (see page 135, Feb. 8 post in this thread). The .4 acre lot that includes a 3 story building and garage, has been sold for an undisclosed sum. 1701 West End Investment Partners LLC was the buyer in a confidential agreement. The property has been discussed for several uses, including hotel. Being located directly west of the famous and very busy West End/Broadway split, is it a prime spot.

More behind the paywall at Nashville Post:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20996823/midtown-site-near-split-sells-for-undisclosed-some

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 3.20.17 PM.png

1701 Broadway aerial view.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, volsfanwill said:

When I was growing up it was a Firestone.....for my money the quirky building in that area was the Whiteway Cleaners building on the corner of Natchez Trace and West End-it was huge, quirky and beautiful!

Sigh....guess I'm showing my age.....!