Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

I finally got around to doing a Google street view of that corner, and I must say this building will be a tremendous help.  It's such a shame that all four corners of that intersection are so pedestrian "unfriendly"... with the KK drive-thru and the Baptist Hospital defiantly turned from the street. And, yuk!  Are those Bradford Pears along 21st?  And will the ugly utility poles be buried?  What was done in front of the new Elliston 23 (correct name?) apartment block up the street?  With this building, the hideous garage will be covered and the drycleaner building (and I understand it is already demolished) will be replaced.  So while this could have been a bit bigger (IMHO) it's a good start to turn that busy corner into an anchor for midtown.  Now, if the KK property can be turned into something mixed-use with residential, that would be really cool... Tony G., are you reading this?  If something were to go on that corner and the Buckingham development gets built, can you imagine what a cityscape you'd see by looking down 21st Avenue from Church/Elliston Place?  Pretty nice!

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=21st+and+Elliston+place,+nashville&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Elliston+Pl+%26+21st+Ave+N,+Nashville,+Davidson,+Tennessee+37203&amp;gl=us&amp;ll=36.152478,-86.802717&amp;spn=0.002683,0.004128&amp;t=h&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=36.152478,-86.802717&amp;panoid=to2BuW5o-M4rbfYlnbDOHg&amp;cbp=12,187.36,,0,-11.52&amp;source=embed&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=21st+and+Elliston+place,+nashville&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Elliston+Pl+%26+21st+Ave+N,+Nashville,+Davidson,+Tennessee+37203&amp;gl=us&amp;ll=36.152478,-86.802717&amp;spn=0.002683,0.004128&amp;t=h&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=36.152478,-86.802717&amp;panoid=to2BuW5o-M4rbfYlnbDOHg&amp;cbp=12,187.36,,0,-11.52&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Edited by MLBrumby

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Nice rendering. Decent infill. I suspect Tony will only stay in this project for a short while like he did Park 25 (now Park Central). He pulled out of the Belle Meade Project rather quickly as well. It seems he gets these small urban infill projects going, and then he gets back to focusing on the big CBD projects like he did with Bennie Dillion (minority partner with post), Cumberland, Encore, and Viridian. I still say his focus will be The Sobro and the hotel if he gets TIF.

Sorry, ML, but the Krispy Kreme is staying. Have you seen how busy it is? It's almost a non-stop operation there...

Ugh...I really, really hate that thing.  That, and the Hampton Inn and Suites down the street.  How could the city just let those companies be so cheap and lazy and bring a slice of La Vergne right to the heart of one of Nashville's most unique urban neighborhoods?

• Like 1

Ugh...I really, really hate that thing.  That, and the Hampton Inn and Suites down the street.  How could the city just let those companies be so cheap and lazy and bring a slice of La Vergne right to the heart of one of Nashville's most unique urban neighborhoods?

Probably because when they were built, urban design wasn't exactly en vogue in that area. I don't think it was being "cheap and lazy" as much as just going along with the principles of the times. There's stuff like this all across the city....as well as in plenty of other cities.

Had this been a more popular neighborhood, with higher land values...it may have not developed in the way it did.

• Like 2

Probably because when they were built, urban design wasn't exactly en vogue in that area. I don't think it was being "cheap and lazy" as much as just going along with the principles of the times. There's stuff like this all across the city....as well as in plenty of other cities.

Had this been a more popular neighborhood, with higher land values...it may have not developed in the way it did.

Exactly. The likes of Cafe Coco, Exit/In, the Soda Shop, etc wouldn't be there under the newer guidelines. And honestly, where else will donuts come from in that area? It was a vital and necessary evil when I was down there every day.

• Like 1

Oh, I know KK will stay for a long time to come... the gluteous lardicus among the citizenry of Nashville must have their demands met... and by motor vehicle at a window. Of course, they were there at that corner before Elliston Place was "hot" (actually, EP was cool long before they came along), and as I recall there was a gas station there back in my day; so pick your poison. Personally, I refuse to enter one of those hideous "new" KK building designs. I'm a purist, and while I darken their doorway only about 2-3 times per year, I only do business in the old style A-frame buildings like we still have in Chatty on Brainerd Road. So I know you're right, but for a moment I dared to dream (little Les Miserables for you guys).

Yeah, I'm cool with it.  Not every project can be an architectural masterpiece, nor should they strive to be.  As long as it addresses the street well and doesn't have a bland, cheap, suburban design, I'm generally fine with any design.

Yeah, I can deal with this as well. Could be much worse. Definitely better than what's there now. It's hard to tell from the rendering, but will there be retail on the ground level?

Another project being looked at on the corner of 19th and Belcourt. samsonh brought this one to our attention by noticing a zoning sign. We discussed this at the forum meet.

William has some  info posted in the Post but is behind the pay wall, but if you look at this link below and  go to the last item, you will get the high points.

http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Codes/docs/Board%20of%20Zoning%20Appeals/docket%20051613.pdf

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

I noticed the crane going up yesterday morning at the 1505 Demonbreun site and is up now.

I called and told you about it yesterday afternoon!

Don't forget the uber-suburban Logan's Roadhouse next to the Hampton Inn as well as the suburban strip center where Jersey Mike's is located!

^^^ Ya know, that strip mall where Jersey Mikes is, isn't so bad IMO. I don't LOVE it, but it's certainly not the worst. I would rather see it more like the strip mall on West End@21st where the Fridays and Five Guys is. As long as its not a behemoth strip like the West End@29th strip mall across from the park where honey baked Ham and Chipotle are. That place needs to burn down.

But that small strip mall on Elliston really is ok with me for the time being. It's close enough to the street that its not too inconvenient for pedestrians. The parking is very small and the back of the house services are contained to the alleyway instead of taking up a whole side street. Someday, i would like to see it replaced, but it's certainly not on my "to-do" list.

In fact, if you simply converted the parking lot into patio dinning, that place would be an urban paradise.

Edited by nashvillwill

Don't forget the uber-suburban Logan's Roadhouse next to the Hampton Inn as well as the suburban strip center where Jersey Mike's is located!

I forgot about the Logan's and the strip mall.  There is also the Elliston Point strip mall on the other side of Logan's Roadhouse that is horrendous as well. 

I don't like the Logan's being there, mainly because it's taking up such a huge block and it also just seems kind of out of place in the neighborhood, but AT LEAST they put a smidgen of effort into their building by putting the parking in the back and the entrance built to the street. 

The strip mall with Jersey Mike's in it is bad, no doubt, but at least it's small and relatively discrete.  The other strip mall is much worse, in my opinion.

Hampton Inn is by far the worst offender on Elliston Place, to me.  It's enormous and takes up a massive plot of land, the building looks like suburban throw away trash, and in typical corporate fashion, they didn't even attempt to build it so it relates to the street or fits in with the neighborhood in any way shape or form.  It pains me to think that it may be there for a long time to come. 

• Like 1

I called and told you about it yesterday afternoon!

I knew about it before you did as I called WW yesterday morning about 10 am.  Got to remember I drive to work and go through town at 7 am. Hard to pull one on me. He He He.

Also forgot to tell you guys the crane at the Turner center is up and has been over a week. This is a track crane, however.

Interesting developments at the Hill project at the intersection of Broadway and Division - the old Great Escape/Discount Beer and Tobacco bulding, soon to be home of Two Boots Pizza.  Originally, the announced intention was to preserve the "art deco" portion of the building which included the drive thru from the old dry cleaners and, more sigificantly, the false front that faced towards Vandy.  In the last several days, however, Demo Plus has begun dismanteling the false front and has removed the old ground level building front underneath it.  The awning is on scaffolding, so it is not obvious whether it is being retained or not. The Two Boots side appears complete.  Any word on what the ultimate outcome will be, or who will be the tenant?

Interesting developments at the Hill project at the intersection of Broadway and Division - the old Great Escape/Discount Beer and Tobacco bulding, soon to be home of Two Boots Pizza.  Originally, the announced intention was to preserve the "art deco" portion of the building which included the drive thru from the old dry cleaners and, more sigificantly, the false front that faced towards Vandy.  In the last several days, however, Demo Plus has begun dismanteling the false front and has removed the old ground level building front underneath it.  The awning is on scaffolding, so it is not obvious whether it is being retained or not. The Two Boots side appears complete.  Any word on what the ultimate outcome will be, or who will be the tenant?

Hopefully they are dismantling it to rehab it. Hopefully. You say 'dismantle' rather than 'tear down'....so at least that's what I'm thinking...

^^^^is the parking area underneath the awning goin to be retained, or will it be developed into a more pedestrian friendly area? I would prefer the latter.

That would be really cool. I don't know if they would do that...but I think it would definitely work. Porch/patio seating is very common right there along Division/Broadway. Having it covered, and put some tables out there. That would be awesome.