Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

9 hours ago, Buildtall said:

What exactly is light pollution?

Light pollution

Light pollution, also known as photopollution or luminous pollution, is excessive, misdirected, or obtrusive artificial light. The first three of the above four scientific definitions describe the state of the environment. The fourth (and newest) one describes the process of polluting by light.
The effects of Light Pollution is a major problem as well.
"Light pollution is excessive, misdirected or inappropriate outdoor lighting. Too much of light pollution washes out view of the Universe, result in increase in the energy consumption, interferes with astronomical research, disrupts ecosystems, affects the health and safety of humans and wildlife. It may surprise you to know that light pollution can have as great an impact on the planet as levels of carbon monoxide and other airborne pollutants."
I remember as a kid I could go outside with my telescope and look at the stars and see the milky way with no problem. This is a serious issue and many people are not aware of the implications. There are starting to be very few places in the world where you can see the sky without the interference of city lights. Some cities are starting to redirect the light back down to the ground or use of less intrusive lighting. 

Another huge problem is sight pollution , aka billboards. A friend of mine called billboards pollution on  a stick and light pollution can go hand in hand with the bright lights they use to illuminate the fact there is a McDonalds at the next exit. Imagine if all of the billboards were gone how much more pleasant our drives would be. 
  • Like 1

Not to appear negative, but you kind of open the door to light pollution moving into the city. I miss the stars, but I wasn't expecting them.

I do get the traffic side. 20 office floors would add a lot of cars. I think it would be a slightly easier sell if it were 20 floors of condos.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 2

I went to a meeting some years ago conducted by Army brass from Fort Campbell pleading with local city officials to write light pollution ordinances favorable  to helicopter pilots who flew at night with night vision goggles. I'm not sure it had much effect as there were so many well lit interchanges around that it would be almost politically impossible to dim them in any way. Local businesses love those well lit off ramps as it attracts motorists like moths to a flame. The bright lights provide a feeling of safety and a promise of adequate travel services in addition to adding sales tax revenues to local city coffers.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

Though it's not as spectacular as it is on a ship at sea, if you go out to the more rural areas of the Cumberland Plateau it is pretty amazing on a moonless night. 

I would love to see that some day. I’ve never been on a ship at sea. 

Edited by nashvillwill
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

My crude massing diagram of what a 20 story might look like at the West End with I-440 location....

That is where the Franklin Synergy Bank is. I'm pretty sure the location they are exploring is across the street down Murphy Rd. past the gas station.

• Like 4

Ok I understand the light pollution that city’s cause I just don’t understand that one 20 story building  is going to cause that much light pollution.

I have been on a ship at sea and also grew up in the country and  spent a few months living  in the dessert in Saudi Arabia so I have seen how beautiful the sky is.

I was just confused on the light pollution comment.  Thanks 

10 hours ago, Buildtall said:

Ok I understand the light pollution that city’s cause I just don’t understand that one 20 story building  is going to cause that much light pollution.

I have been on a ship at sea and also grew up in the country and  spent a few months living  in the dessert in Saudi Arabia so I have seen how beautiful the sky is.

The bigger issue is that this is clearly a higher and better use for the property. Density is coming to this city, and to areas that previously didn’t have it. And that’s a good thing.

• Like 3

Another small residential project is being formalized for West End Park, at 2909 Parthenon Ave.  It would be a 3 story, 16 unit complex, replacing a small home that is currently on the lot.  No name, rendering, or developer known yet.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/residential-real-estate/article/21011105/small-residential-building-eyed-for-west-end-park

Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 7.41.45 AM.png

12 hours ago, Buildtall said:

It won't cause that much of a problem. Accusations of increased light pollution is an old mainstay of NIMBYism. When my MA alma mater, Villanova, was working to get building permits to convert a large asphalt parking lot to a greenspace, dorm, and theatre, the locals decried the plans because of increased light pollution and construction runoff. I'm not sure how a couple of buildings, trees, and green space is worse for light pollution and runoff than a massive asphalt, constantly lit parking lot, though. 

• Like 2

On 6/27/2018 at 10:50 AM, Nathan_in_DC said:

I'm not sure how a couple of buildings, trees, and green space is worse for light pollution and runoff than a massive asphalt, constantly lit parking lot, though. 

People that live next to 440 citing light pollution to resist a new development has to be a new record in ridiculous NIMBY justifications. Hi, yes, I live next to a major interstate with blazing streetlights and a 24-hour stream of headlights, adjacent to a large, metropolitan area. Any further construction would increase light pollution by 0.0000002%, therefore all construction should be banned within several miles.

• Like 4