Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

I wonder if the increased real estate costs for Nashville is making things really difficult/expensive for VU? Yes I know they have lots of money, but it has to hurt spending so  much just for the property. Both Vanderbilt and Belmont are completely bottle-necked so the only way to expand is to buy property around them. You have to think those owners know it as well. They buy that property for $5M then you have the purchase of the lot where The Sportsman Grille used to be for over $2M

It's not exciting, or pretty, but it's a BIG project. HCA parking garage at the site of the former Lentz Public Health building at 23rd and Patterson, with a skybridge to Centennial MC. 

- 8 parking levels. 105 ft. tall

- Parking for 2280 cars

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21011678/permit-patrol-2-july-2018

garage.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

It's not exciting, or pretty, but it's a BIG project. HCA parking garage at the site of the former Lentz Public Health building at 23rd and Patterson, with a skybridge to Centennial MC. 

- 8 parking levels. 105 ft. tall

- Parking for 2280 cars

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21011678/permit-patrol-2-july-2018

garage.png

I just hope they add some sort of retail or restaurant element on the ground floor. It’s big but it’ll just be dead space without any activation. 

• Like 3

The Manning (7 and 4 stories, total of 36 luxury condos) at 120 Woodmont Blvd. is finally getting underway later this year after a decade-plus delay. The original version had called for a 10 and 6 story building.  Completion date is planned for 2020. The units will range 2,500 sq. ft. to 6,200 sq. ft. and will start at $1.85 million.

More behind the paywall at Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21012549/start-set-for-longplanned-the-manning

The Manning website:

https://www.themanning.com/

The Manning, July 9, 2018, render 1.png

The Manning, July 9, 2018, render 2.png

The site is the teal-colored block in the center of this screen shot from Smaegolsfree's excellent Nashville Development map:

The Manning, July 9, 2018, site map.png

Some of the floor plans on the website:

Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 12.12.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 12.13.05 PM.png

• Like 3

On 7/8/2018 at 10:36 AM, dragonfly said:

I hope they pay dearly. I'm a VU grad and for more than two decades after graduation I refused to donate to them because of what they participated in back in the '60's which was to buy properties from the city after eminent domain takeover.  Many square blocks of housing stock and trees were levelled. "And it happened along West End Avenue, where Vanderbilt University teamed with the government to purchase and clear about 100 acres that the university now uses for sports fields and parking".  <---Nashville Scene -----> https://www.nashvillescene.com/news/article/13006140/a-city-swept-clean       A few years ago I encountered another reason to stop giving to them and that was the expulsion of 12 Christian student organizations from campus. And I'm no committed Christian either.

Yeah don't shed any tears for Vandy. Note that they also have 20+ acres of pure surface parking plus an aux athletic field  in the triangle bounded by Natchez Trace, Blakemore, and Vanderbilt Pl. They could easily build a whole satellite campus on that land and put all the parking in 2 or 3 garages. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2018 at 1:44 PM, Pdt2f said:

I just hope they add some sort of retail or restaurant element on the ground floor. It’s big but it’ll just be dead space without any activation. 

I'm definitely with you on hoping they'll add some kind of ground floor activation, but I wouldn't say it'll be dead space if it's just a parking garage. A 2,280 space garage is a very useful thing to have. Parking is going to be at a premium with more and more lots being snatched up by all these developments. But yeah, it would be a more efficient use of space if it was multi use. I really like the parking garage in downtown Chattanooga that has a climbing gym and store in it, not to mention the cool climbing wall on the side of it.  And it has a bus pull through and bike rental stations inside. Chattanooga, even though they are smaller, can really teach Nashville some things about making downtown more pedestrian friendly. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Will said:

Yeah don't shed any tears for Vandy. Note that they also have 20+ acres of pure surface parking plus an aux athletic field  in the triangle bounded by Natchez Trace, Blakemore, and Vanderbilt Pl. They could easily build a whole satellite campus on that land and put all the parking in 2 or 3 garages. 

Yes those 20+ acres plus the athletic fields are what I'm saying. That's where people lived. And the owners were forced out.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, satalac said:

I'm definitely with you on hoping they'll add some kind of ground floor activation, but I wouldn't say it'll be dead space if it's just a parking garage. A 2,280 space garage is a very useful thing to have. Parking is going to be at a premium with more and more lots being snatched up by all these developments. But yeah, it would be a more efficient use of space if it was multi use. I really like the parking garage in downtown Chattanooga that has a climbing gym and store in it, not to mention the cool climbing wall on the side of it.  And it has a bus pull through and bike rental stations inside. Chattanooga, even though they are smaller, can really teach Nashville some things about making downtown more pedestrian friendly. 

Parking garages are totally dead space to me. When you're walking around a cool/busy neighborhood, they're big dead things with nothing interesting to see or visit that adds to the distance you have to walk to get to useful places. They serve no purpose other than storage, house no commercial or cultural activity, and generate scarce tax dollars relative to productive uses. They make everything more expensive because we all have to share the price to pay for them, and they also stimulate car traffic, as they're a subsidized invitation to thousands of people to bring their cars with them instead of bus/bike/walk/rideshare.

Alive, fun, useful place:

image.thumb.png.6c7c7558d2cd34335a8c827c0ebb583d.png

Dead no-mans land that becomes a wasted, empty spot on the map:

image.thumb.png.2e02b5c8c584cee57698d471184ff86b.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Its amazing that garages are still so important to urban core projects. Granted I know the argument has been made countless times on this forum - and I'm not trying to rehash it again - but it is sad how much valuable space is wasted on these structures. They are important on a certain scale because not everyone will give up their car so on and so on. BUT, these structures will almost certainly be regretted in the next 20 years or so. It's getting to the point where METRO is going to have to demand all parking be underground. If that increases the cost due to blasting, it increases the cost due to blasting. Nashville has three straight years of over $3 billion in building permits issued, until another downturn in the market we are going to a continued hotbed for growth, time for the city to get more value on these developments.

Case in point.... Boston is trying to remove one of these land hogs, but the garage is such a cash cow and the lack of parking downtown keeps this thing living. There are obviously other factors to this development, but the fact that this structure even exists in the direct downtown is heartbreaking. Especially because the development wants to open up the space!

Current Boston Harbor Garage:

HarborGarageAmidWharfDistrict.jpg

Desired Change (subterranean parking):

grain-exchange.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It will be interesting to see if/when autonomous cars come around what will become of all of these garages.  We're realistically still at least a decade or so away from having truly autonomous vehicles (and even longer for them to become ubiquitous), but the change in the urban landscape could be dramatic. If these garages go unused, do they just sit empty, do they get torn down, or is there some type of adaptive reuse for them?

In general, it is a shame how much space/resources/money go toward housing our cars.  Please note that I am personally a cause for this as well. I'm as much of the problem as anyone.

Edited by Hey_Hey

I think there's too much hope that autonomous autos (autos squared) will reduce traffic and/or congestion. When things are made easier they tend to become more abundant. With all the folks having to get from PTA to PTB there may be less of a need for parking... but where will those cars be? 

• Like 3