Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, samsonh said:

I think we can give credit for what they have done on their campus. I’m sure this will be nice when done.

Indeed. With the thought going into this particular project, I am confident  most of you will really like what happens here. 

• Like 3

VU has publicly announced that they are building a graduate housing village in that area. There is no design, yet, but they are going about the project planning in the right way and have good people involved. The ultimate project will fit into the neighborhood.

• Like 3

I really wish they would use that site to house a new Communications (Media & Technology... and possibly Finance) center. VU needs to beef up this (among many other) program(s).  I envision a sleek, modern complex of 3-4 towers of 15-25 stories along 21st & B'way, containing the various disciplines from Tech enhanced/enabled management operations to Public Relations. The site's proximity to VU Law & Business schools would help a symbiotic relationship here. Obviously, there would be healthcare & social media among more Engineering/CS based types of studies. Those are emerging power centers in just about all businesses.  

They have enough land that they could also put in lots of street-hugging, 5-8 story (more traditional style) buildings along 20th Avenue & B'way (in the area where Noshville is). I also think they would need the requisite parking ... lots of it for such an endeavor, as well as a lower priced hotel. Heck... they might even see opportunity to join a hotel up to their Owen Management school for a new Hospitality masters. Just FYI... I have been involved in an alumni effort to beef up these areas, but Vandy is notorious for doing what they want. Their attitude toward alums (at least the run of the mill, not big-time rich, ones like me) is "just keep writing those checks and leave the driving to us." 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

Where is that publicly released info? 

At least through May...  I understand the current status of the G&PSH ("Graduate Village") is still very much a blank slate. Unless I've missed something else publicly released. Last I heard on this portion of the campus plan was FVU Committee was working with an Advisory Firm to determine best location/time-frame/management of Graduate Village. The way I see this diagram of the so-called "After" vision is grass and legacy buildings. That beats a parking lot, but I don't see any new buildings. I did see reference to a "potential" transit hub but none to a grocery.  Has there been anything new on this? 

Grad Proposed

The village has not been designed, but the location is going to be where the picture shows it to be above. The student survey results showing that they want a grocery store and coffee shop is here: https://www.vanderbilt.edu/futurevu/gradprofstudenthousing.php. This does not mean that any of this has been determined, only that this is what the students want.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I really wish they would use that site to house a new Communications (Media & Technology... and possibly Finance) center. VU needs to beef up this (among many other) program(s).  I envision a sleek, modern complex of 3-4 towers of 15-25 stories along 21st & B'way, containing the various disciplines from Tech enhanced/enabled management operations to Public Relations. The site's proximity to VU Law & Business schools would help a symbiotic relationship here. Obviously, there would be healthcare & social media among more Engineering/CS based types of studies. Those are emerging power centers in just about all businesses.  

They have enough land that they could also put in lots of street-hugging, 5-8 story (more traditional style) buildings along 20th Avenue & B'way (in the area where Noshville is). I also think they would need the requisite parking ... lots of it for such an endeavor, as well as a lower priced hotel. Heck... they might even see opportunity to join a hotel up to their Owen Management school for a new Hospitality masters. Just FYI... I have been involved in an alumni effort to beef up these areas, but Vandy is notorious for doing what they want. Their attitude toward alums (at least the run of the mill, not big-time rich, ones like me) is "just keep writing those checks and leave the driving to us." 

Us liberal arts degree holders every time a university announces $100+ million STEM projects: 

B25E76A3-4C43-4C10-9C06-74076E237B24.gif

Edited by Pdt2f
  • Like 4

Belcourt Village (4 stories, 24,000 sq. ft. office, 10,000 sq. ft. retail, 24 apts, underground garage) update. Hole is 25 feet deep in areas now.  Still blasting and digging.

Looking east along Belcourt Ave., 1/2 block west of 21st Ave. South:

Belcourt Village, Aug 25, 2018, 1.jpg

Looking south from Belcourt Ave., 1/2 block west of 21st Ave. South:

Belcourt Village, Aug 25, 2018, 2.jpg

• Like 4

Moxy Hillsboro Village (6 stories, 130 rooms hotel, 47 residential units, restaurant/retail, underground parking) update. Starting 4th floor.

Looking SE from intersection of Belcourt Ave. and 20th Ave. South:

Moxy Hillsoboro Village, Aug 25, 2018, 1.jpg

Looking NE from 20th Ave. South, 1/2 block north of Aklen Ave:

Moxy Hillsoboro Village, Aug 25, 2018, 2.jpg

Looking SW from intersection of Belcourt Ave. and 19th Ave. South:

Moxy Hillsoboro Village, Aug 25, 2018, 3.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, titanhog said:

I really wish there was something more to do to save Music Row.  I realize many would love it if we just knocked down all of the bungalows and built office towers and condos...but that music "campus" community would be lost forever...and calling it Music Row would be a lie.  Having worked there on the Row...living there at times...and making my living there...I can say there is nothing like that I've experienced anywhere else I've been.  The Row truly was, and hopefully still can be, a special place...a special community of songwriters, publishers, studios, labels, managers, banks, etc, etc, etc.  Please don't turn it into just another Nashville "new and improved" city street.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/nashville-s-beloved-music-row-in-danger-of-being-lost-to-new-developments/1420524749

I wish the Fairgrounds people were just as adamant about music row!

6 hours ago, titanhog said:

I really wish there was something more to do to save Music Row.  I realize many would love it if we just knocked down all of the bungalows and built office towers and condos...but that music "campus" community would be lost forever...and calling it Music Row would be a lie.  Having worked there on the Row...living there at times...and making my living there...I can say there is nothing like that I've experienced anywhere else I've been.  The Row truly was, and hopefully still can be, a special place...a special community of songwriters, publishers, studios, labels, managers, banks, etc, etc, etc.  Please don't turn it into just another Nashville "new and improved" city street.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/nashville-s-beloved-music-row-in-danger-of-being-lost-to-new-developments/1420524749

I'm gonna say this til I'm blue in the face-have the Historical Commission come in and decide once and for all which buildings should be saved and which should not. Then tear down all the crappy apartments that have been built there in the past few years and even earlier. Let Pannatoni or whoever else come in build office buildings big enough to attract the companies that left the Row to come back. Build an actual "Music Square" with with a little retail/restaurant action along with a small Museum of Music Row. Put a rebuilt Bobby's Idle Hour on one side of the Square and recruit The Bluebird Cafe to relocate to the other side. Oh yeah, and rename 16th and 17th avenues Music Row East and West respectively.

You don't need to tear down the bungalows-just a lot of the stuff that was built after them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1