Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

Looks as if Tony's project is underway on Elliston. Told WW about it this morning and here is the blog post.

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2013/6/6/on_site_work_starts_at_midtown_project

Also work is starting on the Centennial Park project

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/06/nashville-kicks-off-centennial-park.html

Hasn't the Elliston one been announced for a while?  I am glad that work is starting, although I'm definitely not crazy about that design or external materials.  It still looks like, well, a hospital!  Whereas 2300 Elliston has that nice brick.

I do have a question about this rendering, though.  Is that parking area in the back the current Baptist Hospital parking garage there, or is it a new parking garage that will abut the existing garage?

It is the existing garage, Brett. I do not know how parking will work with this building as I haven't seen the other site plans.

It's a crazy site. My guess would be that it's tucked back in the "L" of the building shape.

Also, correct me if I am wrong...but this does NOT include the Ducklo Eyecare building? If not, I have to question the haste of building this without acquiring that property. It will forever be a really funky block with that there.

Are we talking about the tiny space between a few of the buildings where there are a some parallel parking spots alongside a pull-through that goes to the alley behind those buildings?  Or is there another empty space that is being discussed.  Please not the historic house that sits amid that block!

Well that is behind the Off Broadway Shoes location and I had heard there could be apartments slated for there. I was thinking the parking lot, but could very well be the strip center. Could work well especially if they do a lot of  street level retail and offer parking in a garage. You could do a key card for residents to access one part and fee parking for the rest. Could solve a few problems. This is a very desirable area and this could be the property Meeks was talking about for apartments.

Well that is behind the Off Broadway Shoes location and I had heard there could be apartments slated for there. I was thinking the parking lot, but could very well be the strip center. Could work well especially if they do a lot of  street level retail and offer parking in a garage. You could do a key card for residents to access one part and fee parking for the rest. Could solve a few problems. This is a very desirable area and this could be the property Meeks was talking about for apartments.

Well thought out, Ron.

WW

Well thought out, Ron.

WW

After researching a bit, there may be something else planned for this area. WW will find out for sure. Gave him info.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/06/investor-plans-retail-and-office.html

Church Street property sold.  This is the Chris Moore building. I knew it was for sale and had expected it to change hands way before now, but knew it was for a mixed use project. Glad to see it moving forward.

After researching a bit, there may be something else planned for this area. WW will find out for sure. Gave him info.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/06/investor-plans-retail-and-office.html

Church Street property sold.  This is the Chris Moore building. I knew it was for sale and had expected it to change hands way before now, but knew it was for a mixed use project. Glad to see it moving forward.

That's a great character building. I'm happy to see the developer is eyeing reuse rather than rebuild.

Yeah, that has been for sale for a long time.  I would advise them to stick with office and get away from retail unless it is more medical stuff like selling scrubs or prosthetics.  Retail continues to die over there.  It's a graveyard for retail.  With the notable exception of 1700 Midtown, the new residential units are all on the Elliston Place stretch of the street.  And while that is not a long walk on paper, there is a pretty vast pedestrian wasteland between say 2200 Elliston and 1700 Church.

But the bars are doing pretty well.  The space next door to Canvas Lounge in the 1700 block had been a clothing store called Revolver that died rather quickly without a whimper.  But now it is a club called WKND that caters to an upscale African American audience.  It seems to be well supported.  So after-hours parking at the post office is getting scarce.  It also appears that Bank of America is now allowing people to park in their lot after hours.  We'll see how long that lasts before they either start charging or towing. 

What I am told is that pretty much the entire 1700 block of Church on the south side (where Canvas Lounge, OutCentral, Blue Gene's, Vibe are located) is owned by a medical company or something that charges very little rent.  Word among some of the bar owners is that the landlord is waiting to redevelop that whole parcel at some point.  That's why some of those bars are making minimal investment in upkeep.  Of course, that may be just an excuse! 

Edited by bwithers1

I think there needs to be more residential in and around that stretch of Church Street before retail can really survive. There are still plenty of lots and underutilized parcels around that vicinity that seem well-suited for residential infill especially along Hayes Street and State Street. What that area needs is a couple of more projects like 1700 Midtown or the smaller one underway across from Krispy Kreme. It's a very walkable area, but it needs some residents. 

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

I think there needs to be more residential in and around that stretch of Church Street before retail can really survive. There are still plenty of lots and underutilized parcels around that vicinity that seem well-suited for residential infill especially along Hayes Street and State Street. What that area needs is a couple of more projects like 1700 Midtown or the smaller one underway across from Krispy Kreme. It's a very walkable area, but it needs some residents. 

Agreed.

2151 24th to break ground in mid July. I thought they had actually started this one but they just did the demo work and again waiting on Metro. I think a lot of the project are waiting on Metro to get off their rears and get the ball rolling. Seems as if there are too many hoops to jump through.

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2013/6/28/mid_july_groundbreaking_slated_for_hillsboro_village_project

So it's not a pretty building... it's not unique... it's actually rather mundane and a "rerun" of all the apartment blocks (how many are going up around downtown/midtown, 20?) we've seen thus far... from Stonehenge:   http://nashvillepost.com/news/2013/7/1/large_scale_apartment_building_slated_for_midtown

Yeah...nothing exciting here. I would like it better if it was on the other side of the street...but none of the 5 buildings to be razed appear to be of any significance.

Remember, that these developers are building to sale. They are not going to spend a lot of money on design and materials if they are going to turn the property. They will do what they have to, to get by. I am looking at these as more infill projects and we cant expect a masterpiece every time the shovel is turned.

I do feel like we are going to get some announcements for mid rise to high rise condos before the end of the year is out. I think a little later than sooner as the market improves. That is where we can hope for excellence.

Remember, that these developers are building to sale. They are not going to spend a lot of money on design and materials if they are going to turn the property. They will do what they have to, to get by. I am looking at these as more infill projects and we cant expect a masterpiece every time the shovel is turned.

I do feel like we are going to get some announcements for mid rise to high rise condos before the end of the year is out. I think a little later than sooner as the market improves. That is where we can hope for excellence.

Exactly. These guys have big investor money behind them that wants quick profits. But they are also providing nice housing that wasn't available before. If you want things like mass transit and a walkable environment you are going to have lots of these type of developments. Hell, take a walk off the red line in Chicago and you will see a lot of developments that are not of the highest quality, but they create density that allows the other things we look for in a sustainable city.

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

So it's not a pretty building... it's not unique... it's actually rather mundane and a "rerun" of all the apartment blocks (how many are going up around downtown/midtown, 20?) we've seen thus far... from Stonehenge:   http://nashvillepost.com/news/2013/7/1/large_scale_apartment_building_slated_for_midtown

I think it is a fine design for a turnkey project. It's better then what is there. It's not how it looks when built, but 10 years later. We could see a lot of these kind of projects themselves razed several years from now for something different.

I suspect the majority of these low rise apartment projects going up around town to at some point be replaced by something else. The only place they stay forever is the suburbs. There are a couple of hideous looking condo and apartment buildings in Bellevue that have been there since the late 1960's and they have never been replaced, nor were they built with finer materials either.

This project is fine.