Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

20 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I love that development so much.  This and The Graduate next door are going to change the face and feel of West End Avenue so drastically all by themselves.  I cannot express how happy I am to FINALLY see those drive thru fast food restaurants go.

But for those with such inclinations, Wendy’s and McDonald’s are just a few blocks to the west. (Along with a lovely Starbucks with drive thru, of course.)

12 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

But for those with such inclinations, Wendy’s and McDonald’s are just a few blocks to the west. (Along with a lovely Starbucks with drive thru, of course.)

Hopefully their days (at least in their current form) are numbered as well.  Nothing against fast food or drive-thrus, it's just that they don't belong on what is supposed to be the city's primary 'grand' urban thoroughfare.  

A three story, 25,000 sq. ft. addition to the Hospital Hospitality House of Nashville is underway at 214 Reidhurst Ave. It will be called the Pinson Hospitality House. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21038801/hospitality-house-sees-expansion-of-midtown-facility

Pinson hospital Hospitality House, Jan 4, 2019, render 1.png

Pinson hospital Hospitality House, Jan 4, 2019, render 2.png

• Like 2

From NP: Request from Triumph Hospitality to demolish three masonry apartment buildings on Louise Avenue goes before Council today.  Planning has recommended denial. 

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21040546/vote-set-for-planned-north-gulch-hotel

In addition, the commission will hear Triumph Hospitality request to rezone Vanderbilt-area properties that, if approved, would allow the demolition of three of Nashville’s few remaining pre-World War II-constructed masonry apartment buildings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

From NP: Request from Triumph Hospitality to demolish three masonry apartment buildings on Louise Avenue goes before Council today.  Planning has recommended denial. 

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21040546/vote-set-for-planned-north-gulch-hotel

In addition, the commission will hear Triumph Hospitality request to rezone Vanderbilt-area properties that, if approved, would allow the demolition of three of Nashville’s few remaining pre-World War II-constructed masonry apartment buildings.

I think this is going before the Planning Commission.      The Planning Commission staff has recommended to deny the request.      After Planning it will go to Council and would require a 2/3 vote at Council if Planning recommends against it.       I would encourage Planning to follow the staff's recommendation.  

• Thanks 2

^^ More details on MBA Expansion.

This is the last phase of a 3 decade MBA Campus Masterplan ignited in 1988 and expanded by current Headmaster Brad Gioia in 1994. 

PHASE THREE (Current) -

New Athletics Building
New Lacrosse Field
Remodeled MBA Football Stadium
New parking on recently purchased Church Land
Revert Montgomery Bell Academy road into intra campus Road.

PHASE TWO (2010-2013) -

MBA Parking Garage with Soccer Field on Roof
Wallace Hall (New)

Lowry Academic Hall
https://www.hastingsarchitecture.com/project/montgomery-bell-academy/

New Entrance to MBA from Wilson Pike (includes Bridge and Turnabout)

PHASE ONE (1993-2002) -

http://www.tuckhinton.com/montgomery-bell-academy-master-plan/

Joe C Davis Fine Arts Building
John Sloan Quadrangle
Douglas Paschall Theater
Gambill Quadrangle
Massey Junior School Addition
Bronson Ingram Science Building
Francis Carter Hall (New)
Harding Road Entrance

(renovations)
Wallace Hall
Isaac Ball Hall
Patrick Wilson Library
Brownlee Curry Gymnasium

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 2.15.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 2.15.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 11.01.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 11.01.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 11.02.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 11.05.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 1.14.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 2.14.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 2.14.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 2.15.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 1.09.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 1.09.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 1.08.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 1.08.52 PM.png

So it looks like the current gym will be demolished. I always thought that was a great stately looking gym as you drove past campus on Montgomery Bell Ave.  BTW: I had a girlfriend from college who lived in those apartments next to the church. They were called Brixworth at the time. 

• Like 1

Love me some Baylor. Beautiful campus and the overlook view is enviable.

Gym was nice but small and to compete with the Ensworths and BAs of the world we need 5-6 basketball courts not just one.

The plan is to open Ensworth Ave ( the road between the church and the Brixworth apts.) to again connect Harding and Woodlawn so that the Montgomery Bell Ave road will revert back to an intra-campus road.

Edited by Guest

38 minutes ago, titanhog said:

.....2 schools basically on the same road that are better equipped with facilities than many colleges.

I was just thinking the same. These campuses looks better than ANYTHING we had on my college campus. From the theaters to the dining halls.... WOW!

Edited by NashvilleObserver
  • Like 1

alas, no pool. MBA uses Centennial Sportsplex to train.

15 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Ooh! A pool! Although that pool at Ensworth doesn't look big enough for a team. 

I didn't see in the MBA expansion if there's a new pool. Anyone know if there is one? Seems like there ought to be with that much money. 

Close, but more to do with gender than with intelligence.... only had granddaughters and offered MBA $100MIL to go co-ed. Headmaster and Board said no and he took his money and started Ensworth HS. A similar situation happened with Vanderbilt (Chairman of the Board position he did not get) and he took his cash and built the Student Union at Princeton...

Of course his money, but still interesting.

Edited by Guest