Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

Yet another apartment building in the core. From the Tennessean....

Developer Tony Giarratana and an equity partner paid $1.8 million for two parcels at Elliston Place and 21st Avenue in Midtown with plans to build apartments.The roughly .7-acre site, which includes the location of DryClean USA and an adjacent vacant parcel, is the latest to be snapped up by developers in Nashville’s Midtown.

(Edited)

The 100 + unit building on the .7 acre lot may be in the ten story range (my best guess). My sketch below shows the location as best I can determine from the description in the article. He will announce details in the Spring.

21stEllistonRev_zps1a6fd3eb.jpg

Edited by PHofKS

I can't wait to see the rendering for this. I agree that the location is excellent. Hopefully it will be tall enough to hide the Baptist garage a bit. 

Also, Tony G tackling another project makes me hopeful we will hear something on the SoBro soon. It seems like we haven't heard a peep about SoBro since the partnership was announced. Is this the same Chicago firm he's partnered with for SoBro?

Kind of off subject, but we have a few "Times Square" corners.  I love the one at the end of Elliston.  I hope something good eventually goes there.  Although, I do like the carport feel it has there now.  Maybe it could be a dropoff for hotel, office, residential or all three!

Kind of off subject, but we have a few "Times Square" corners.  I love the one at the end of Elliston.  I hope something good eventually goes there.  Although, I do like the carport feel it has there now.  Maybe it could be a dropoff for hotel, office, residential or all three!

Personally, I think I like that little spot right there at Elliston and West End. The former Tasti-D-Lite location/Rite Aid, Emma's, and Rotiers. I'd like to see that remain as is, though a rehab/reuse of that triangle would be nice. I think it would be an excellent location for a restaurant to use it as a covered patio. The building has some really nice subtle brick work...with a new paint job on the stucco and some new windows and new landscaping, it could become a very unique and cool spot for the Vandy area.

Just imagine...take out the wall that currently separates the store from the covered parking, at replace it with those clear garage doors that can be opened up during the warmer months...put some fans under the "carport" section...some nice picnic tables...turn the Tasti-D-Lite section into a little bar. Put a nice short iron fence around the perimeter, with brick posts and flower plantings on top of the posts...maybe add some hanging plants around the exterior of the carport area, and put a few tables out there in front of the Tasti-D-Lite in what is the parking lot area right now (and perhaps replace the asphalt with a little lawn). Though this would be a BIG restaurant. It might have to be split among a couple of different things. Perhaps a restaurant, and assuming that is an actual usable second floor, loft apartments or offices.

At least that's how I'd like to see it. As it has been stated before on here, we need to keep some of these quirky old low rise buildings and houses...it's what really gives this a neighborhood feel. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the old strip centers and fast food joints get replaced by bigger, more dense development, though. :thumbsup:

I love that tiran

Personally, I think I like that little spot right there at Elliston and West End. The former Tasti-D-Lite location/Rite Aid, Emma's, and Rotiers. I'd like to see that remain as is, though a rehab/reuse of that triangle would be nice. I think it would be an excellent location for a restaurant to use it as a covered patio. The building has some really nice subtle brick work...with a new paint job on the stucco and some new windows and new landscaping, it could become a very unique and cool spot for the Vandy area.

Just imagine...take out the wall that currently separates the store from the covered parking, at replace it with those clear garage doors that can be opened up during the warmer months...put some fans under the "carport" section...some nice picnic tables...turn the Tasti-D-Lite section into a little bar. Put a nice short iron fence around the perimeter, with brick posts and flower plantings on top of the posts...maybe add some hanging plants around the exterior of the carport area, and put a few tables out there in front of the Tasti-D-Lite in what is the parking lot area right now (and perhaps replace the asphalt with a little lawn). Though this would be a BIG restaurant. It might have to be split among a couple of different things. Perhaps a restaurant, and assuming that is an actual usable second floor, loft apartments or offices.

At least that's how I'd like to see it. As it has been stated before on here, we need to keep some of these quirky old low rise buildings and houses...it's what really gives this a neighborhood feel. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the old strip centers and fast food joints get replaced by bigger, more dense development, though. :thumbsup:

I love that triangle corner as well.  It's so unique.  I hope that whatever developer inevitably purchases that lot they are creative enough to reuse the entire lot and preserve the building itself. 

I get sick to my stomach, though, to look across the street to see the hellish landscape that exists there.  The strip mall set about 200 feet off the street next to the lone Logan's Roadhouse and it's adjacent Six Flags sized parking area that is taking up a lot large enough to put two Elliston 23's, which is next to the Hampton Inn that looks like it belongs beside Opryland.  Since those are all relatively new developments, and the latter two both belong to national corporations, one has to assume that it will be quite some time before those are a thing of the past.  Really unfortunate that Nashville didn't put a proper urban building code in place before these lazily designed piles of crap were built.

Personally I hate the idea of anything happening to Emma's and Rotiers, not to the businesses, but the buildings.  The covered parking area could use a makeover but the rest of it, from the point of the triangle back to the new hotel under construction, is exactly the kind of quirky urban mishmash that makes walking around cities so appealing.  Rotier's is as endearing as a one-eyed, three-legged dog, I don't think there's another building like it in Nashville. 

Personally I hate the idea of anything happening to Emma's and Rotiers, not to the businesses, but the buildings.  The covered parking area could use a makeover but the rest of it, from the point of the triangle back to the new hotel under construction, is exactly the kind of quirky urban mishmash that makes walking around cities so appealing.  Rotier's is as endearing as a one-eyed, three-legged dog, I don't think there's another building like it in Nashville. 

I couldn't agree more.  Generally, one of the great things about living in an urban area as opposed to suburbia is that you get to experience an interesting and unique diversity in the built environment, which is why I despise so much when any structurally sound buildings are torn down in a city like Nashville (within reason, of course...aluminum warehouses, you can go).

The only part of that lot I'd like to see changed is the parking lot for Rite-Aide at the very end.

A view from the Kirkland Hall bell tower of the two new residential colleges currently under construction at Vanderbilt University. Six cranes are going full steam ahead as the complex takes shape. Warren College and Moore College will welcome a total of 660 students (equal numbers of sophomores, juniors and seniors) in August 2014.

222599_468538056528305_232608025_n.jpg

Kissam Hall is one of my favorite projects in the last few years. The architecture is outstanding with its Ivy League gables and chimneys and the bold statement it makes about Nashville being the home to one of the nations great universities.

Here are a couple of other views from the street of Kissam Hall. These are well over 100' tall and close to the street. The massing greatly increases the urban density feel along West End.

Kissam_zps221dab43.jpg

Kissam1_zpsf75debf8.jpg

Kissam2_zps33ebc174.jpg

With completion of this project, along with the 22 and 17 story West End Summit,....

WES2015.jpg

...the nine story Spring Hill suites....

SpringHill_zps1f010398.jpg

....and the seven story Homewood Suites, ....

Homewood_zps89592f5f.jpg

......West End is becoming even more canyonesque.

Midtown_zpsac4162fc.jpg

• Like 1

I wish Kissam was closer to the street, but it is a beautiful project.

I don't know. This is one area I would give an exemption to the "address the street" theory. It's a university campus. Campuses are typically full of a life on their own. Courtyards and lawns are often full of students studying in the grass, playing frisbee and so on. It makes for plenty of percieved street activity. Also, a slight separation makes it known that "this is a private space". Besides, there is just too much red tape for street level services to jump through.

I love the project and think it adds very nicely to the area.

• Like 1

I don't know. This is one area I would give an exemption to the "address the street" theory. It's a university campus. Campuses are typically full of a life on their own. Courtyards and lawns are often full of students studying in the grass, playing frisbee and so on. It makes for plenty of percieved street activity. Also, a slight separation makes it known that "this is a private space". Besides, there is just too much red tape for street level services to jump through.

I love the project and think it adds very nicely to the area.

You have a point, but at the same time, there are many examples of universities in urban areas that have all sorts of buildings addressing the street and blending into the surrounding community.  The University of Chicago, Northwestern, Harvard, NYU all come to mind.  Granted, these are all in major, very established urban centers and I'm not trying to compare Nashville to them, but I still see no reason for Vanderbilt to be walled off from it's surroundings just because it's technically a private institution.  Either way, perhaps I'm just being a bit too demanding.  It is a gorgeous building design, and I am glad there is no surface parking between it and the street...