Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, titanhog said:

I'm always torn about Vandy buying up public retail spots and expanding their footprint.  They normally build something nice architecturally...but I'm just hopeful the retail will be abundant and it won't  be another part of their university with no public usage.

This will be different from any development you have seen from them. Imagine a really nice mixed use development that just happens to be on land owned by vandy and is housing vandy grad students. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, 12Mouth said:

This will be different from any development you have seen from them. Imagine a really nice mixed use development that just happens to be on land owned by vandy and is housing vandy grad students. 

Yes...I'm hoping the "public" portion of it is worthy of that much land.  Fingers crossed.  I know it will look nice...but hoping for some good retail. 

When he said there would be a grocery store, my thought was "They don't need a 'grocery store,' they need an urban Target!"  I guess time will tell.  Target does like placing most of their urban stores very close to college campuses, so this could definitely fit the bill.

This seems strange to say given the fact that we've had essentially zero full service groceries in the CBD/Midtown area to this point, but I kinda feel like we are covered on the grocery store front for the time being in this part of town.  I can think of at least three U/C or in the works.  So I agree.  Stores that offer different services like urban versions of Target or TJ Maxx or Lowe's would be more in demand, I would think.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

This seems strange to say given the fact that we've had essentially zero full service groceries in the CBD/Midtown area to this point, but I kinda feel like we are covered on the grocery store front for the time being in this part of town.  I can think of at least three U/C or in the works.  So I agree.  Stores that offer different services like urban versions of Target or TJ Maxx or Lowe's would be more in demand, I would think.

Funny you say that. This story is from earlier this week.   At least 5 new grocery stores are slated to open.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2019/05/13/nashville-grocery-wars-intensify-new-stores-publix-whole-foods-aldi-trader-joes-turnip-truck-way/1120613001/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Just got back from Chicago and it seems as if I ran across 5 or 6 urban Targets. They seem to have the corner on urban stores over Wal-Hell.

OK you guys live in a large metro, I live in a very large metro. You want to be a convert to Walmart, buy a piece of property somewhere on the Olympic Peninsula of WA like what I have. These people (the locals) absolutely depend upon Walmart.  It is like a godsend, hell, my a--. It saves them many hours per week from having to travel long distances, just to make it thru the weeks. Target cares not a whit for these people living in those counties. I know this may be off topic, but as a property owner with  3 living spaces in two buildings on Harstine Island, I'm one of those people when I'm there, 19 miles from the Shelton Walmart, and I need every amenity and all the help I can get to maintain and remediate that property. I can go at midnight for something needed urgently, and the Supercenters out there have expanded hardware and paint to help people like me. I went one night to buy a desperately needed space heater for $18.95 and I would have paid 4x that amount. Yeah living in a comfy urban pad where I'm at I would never have otherwise learned this without personal experience.  There are many things in the world city dwellers maybe know little about.

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dragonfly said:

OK you guys live in a large metro, I live in a very large metro. You want to be a convert to Walmart, buy a piece of property somewhere on the Olympic Peninsula of WA like what I have. These people (the locals) absolutely depend upon Walmart.  It is like a godsend. It saves them many hours per week from having to travel long distances, just to make it thru the weeks. Target cares not a whit for these people living in those counties. I know this may be off topic, but as a property owner with 7.5 acres and 3 living spaces in two buildings on Harstine Island, I'm one of those people when I'm there, 19 miles from the Shelton Walmart, and I need every amenity and all the help I can get to maintain and remediate that property. I can go at midnight for something needed urgently, and the Supercenters out there have expanded hardware and paint to help people like me. I went one night to buy a desperately needed space heater for $18.95 and I would have paid 4x that amount. Yeah living in a comfy urban pad where I'm at I would never have otherwise learned this without personal experience.  There are many things in the world city dwellers know little about.

Mkay... 

• Like 3

On 5/19/2019 at 7:18 AM, smeagolsfree said:

Just got back from Chicago and it seems as if I ran across 5 or 6 urban Targets. They seem to have the corner on urban stores over Wal-Hell.

How much square footage does an urban-style Target need compared to the traditional surburban store? 

Edited by Jamie Hall

On ‎2019‎-‎05‎-‎19 at 7:18 AM, smeagolsfree said:

Walmart couldn't even keep open the location that was literally in the middle of UTK's campus.

This is the Target in Fairfax, VA also outside of Washington, DC.  It's part of one of those urban-suburban town centers called the Mosaic District that has shopping, dinning, entertainment, apartments, etc.    I would so love to see something similar to this project built where the auto stores are Broadway.  And, add in BBB, Home Goods, Marshalls, Nordstrom Rack, etc.  Of course I'd prefer such a venue for Nashville be topped off with high rise residential and commercial offices.  What's really cool is they offer free parking in multiple buildings as opposed to doing surface parking all around the area.  The surface lots are pretty much part of older facilities that previously existed in the area.

image.thumb.png.dd87f1169336b982e53ee701f2897836.png

image.thumb.png.64027a5e4091e7c387db30a0aeac240b.png

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 8:18 AM, smeagolsfree said:

1 hour ago, PruneTracy said:

Walmart couldn't even keep open the location that was literally in the middle of UTK's campus.

Target is based in the upper mid-west, so they've always had a stronger foothold in that region over WM.... oh, let me not call it WM, that almost sounds upscale... LOL! 

Target has a mini-store on the campus of the University of Maryland in College Park, MD that seems to be doing well.  It's on the street level of an apartment building on the campus.  It includes a CVS pharmacy.  It's actually pretty cool.

2 hours ago, e-dub said:

The one close to the Publix? It's closed now?

It's gone, son.

http://www.utdailybeacon.com/city_news/goodbye-walmart-university-commons-store-to-close-in-march/article_5dce422c-3abd-11e9-92b8-3365666b205a.html

I'd like to take a moment to point out how many UT students and alumni are distraught over "their" Walmart closing when it was only there for four years to begin with. One guy wrote a song about it.

Millennials.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

"How Nashville plans to save music Row, a threatened cultural treasure.  As the city's boom puts development pressure on the center of country music, new preservation ideas emerge."

https://www.curbed.com/2019/5/21/18633057/nashville-real-estate-preservation-music-row-cultural-district?fbclid=IwAR3PsB-VkXZlGWAZ9pt2oLh5V9DCHj31Wylk7Cq_ae79IdkN_TlFq4dagTA

• Like 2