Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

I don’t think Mr. Tyler was necessarily a “savior” in this situation-this was a “Throw Back Thursday” post with an opportunity to tease an announcement for next week. Whoever is responsible, cheers to him, her or them!

(and I like Stix-it just needs better lighting for a bigger impact after dark. Oh, it’s not the grandest of roundabout art works, but for the meager budget at play, it’s okay.)

• Like 2

On 5/21/2019 at 1:48 PM, PruneTracy said:

It's gone, son.

http://www.utdailybeacon.com/city_news/goodbye-walmart-university-commons-store-to-close-in-march/article_5dce422c-3abd-11e9-92b8-3365666b205a.html

I'd like to take a moment to point out how many UT students and alumni are distraught over "their" Walmart closing when it was only there for four years to begin with. One guy wrote a song about it.

Millennials.

Oh jeez.... I read a lot of backlash online about this Walmart closing. These millennials (I am one myself) were going crazy over this, suggesting that it was racist for Walmart to close this location, saying the city should FORCE Walmart to keep the store open, and suggesting elderly people would die because the Walmart pharmacy was closing.

23 minutes ago, NashvilleObserver said:

Oh jeez.... I read a lot of backlash online about this Walmart closing. These millennials (I am one myself) were going crazy over this, suggesting that it was racist for Walmart to close this location, saying the city should FORCE Walmart to keep the store open, and suggesting elderly people would die because the Walmart pharmacy was closing.

Please, please, please link me to this discussion.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, markhollin said:

Nice shots of Vandy's recently opened Bronson Ingram College/Barnard Dorms:

Vanderbilt Bronson Ingram Dorms, May 14, 2019, 2.png

Vanderbilt Bronson Ingram Dorms, May 14, 2019, 4.png

Vanderbilt Bronson Ingram Dorms, May 14, 2019, 7.png

Vanderbilt Bronson Ingram Dorms, May 14, 2019, 9.png

Something like this needs to put on a hundred years of stains and wear before it comes into its own.  This looks like they bought an imitation Oxford fresh off the truck from Lowe's.

2 minutes ago, Nashvillain said:

Yeah, they should have built a glass box on top of a parking garage :tw_sweat_smile:

I'm not criticizing the design, I'm just saying the things it's based on are cool in very large part because they're old.  This spic-and-span look is incongrous.  It'll look better in a hundred years.

14 minutes ago, Neigeville2 said:

I'm not criticizing the design, I'm just saying the things it's based on are cool in very large part because they're old.  This spic-and-span look is incongrous.  It'll look better in a hundred years.

What do you think Oxford looked like when its buildings were first erected? 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, markhollin said:

I think it looked handcrafted, richer and darker in color, made with local stone and not bright white concrete and smooth spotless brick.  But I am also sure it didn't look as good as it does now.   Antiquity gives something permanent to a building that it can never have right out of the box.  Plus this will probably never have the great landscaping that is typical of many English buildings.

Related image

Edited by Neigeville2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

A little harsh lol 

Rare that I say this, but I don’t like how the trees block this beautiful building from the street

I totally agree... you barely even notice them when travelling past on West End Ave.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, markhollin said:

Some of Yale's buildings built in the 1930s had things done to them when new by the architect to give the impression of age  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yale_University#Campus

The architect, James Gamble Rogers, faux-aged these buildings by splashing the walls with acid,[93] deliberately breaking their leaded glass windows and repairing them in the style of the Middle Ages, and creating niches for decorative statuary but leaving them empty to simulate loss or theft over the ages. In fact, the buildings merely simulate Middle Ages architecture, for though they appear to be constructed of solid stone blocks in the authentic manner, most actually have steel framing as was commonly used in 1930.

• Like 2

The circa 1900 home at 1105 17th Ave. South has been sold by songwriter Craig Wiseman to restauranteur May Loventhal Jones for $1.5 million. This about 8 houses down from the 1701 Grand office project to be built on the onetime Ray Stevens Music site.   Will be interesting to see if Jones decides to put an eatery in this building.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21070712/songwriter-sells-music-row-site-for-15m

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 12.34.43 PM.png

• Thanks 1

Based on the footprint of the garage, I dont see any more than a four story addition to the garage if they use the entire footprint which would make the most sense and be the most cost effective. Th e footprint of the garage is a little over .8 of an acre.

They maygo a little taller than the four, but office floors are 12 to 15 in height, so we are talking about 70f÷t with four stories and mechanical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Based on the footprint of the garage, I dont see any more than a four story addition to the garage if they use the entire footprint which would make the most sense and be the most cost effective. Th e footprint of the garage is a little over .8 of an acre.

They maygo a little taller than the four, but office floors are 12 to 15 in height, so we are talking about 70f÷t with four stories and mechanical.

I would give them all the height they want if they will agree to convert the ground level to retail and do something to dress up the open garage facade.    That ugly garage is such a neighborhood killer.    

Edited by CenterHill