Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

10 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

I grew up reading the Banner and Tennessean and it’s sad to watch as it proverbially drives itself into a ditch. With the new printing issues it doesn’t report (in print) on anything occurring after about 7pm which means it’s sports coverage is always 24-48 hours late and sports is one of the few areas it should be trying to keep its print readers. It’s ceded timely city news to the NBJ and Nashville Post. I don’t see why the online (print) edition of the paper can’t be updated until midnight if not being constantly updated through the day and night. That’s how many read it currently.  The online Tennessean website (non print) is pretty bad, IMO.

I know their readership is dying off. I’m nearly 60 and I know few people, under 70, still reading it, in print, on a daily basis. The ownership doesn’t seem interested in evolving the print edition into a more “living” format.

Lets not get too off topic, but the most of the newspapers are not printed in the city they are distributed in. Most of the Gannett NP's in TN, KY, IN are printed in Louisville now I think is the location. They keep trying to find ways to cut cost but at some point the main readership is going to die off. I have a friend in Evansville that have a Gannett paper there and the only reason he takes it is to read the obituaries for him and his elderly mother. They are paying at least $50 a month for that privilege.

As for the TN online edition it is pretty sad when the top stories they have in the business section are anywhere from one to three weeks old.

Lets move on to the West end projects as this subject depresses me. 

Jane Chera has added another piece into a group of lots along 18th Ave. South for what appears to be plans for a mixed-use development. She just purchased the building and .17 acre lot  at 704 18th Ave. South.  No price was given.  She now owns The Patterson House//Catbird Seat at the corner of 18th and Division, as well as the three homes (now businesses) directly to the south on a total of .54 acre.  

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21085198/two-music-row-sites-sell-for-collective-4m

Chera now owns the Patterson House on the left all the way to 704 18th Ave. South on the right:

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 11.23.14 AM.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Not only would it be unfortunate to lose those beautiful homes, but it would be a loss for the city as a whole to lose Catbird Seat.  Some may scoff at that notion, but it has probably done more than any other restaurant in the city to put Nashville on the culinary map internationally as a true food city. 

Yeah, the Catbird Seat was a huge get. Patterson House did some very heavy lifting on the drinks side of things, too.

• Like 4

The Belcourt Village mixed-use development at 2111 Belcourt Ave (across from Belcourt Theater) has landed a $1.4 million permit for the 28 apartments on levels 3 & 4.  

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/construction/article/21085851/permit-patrol-9-sept-2019

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

The addition on top of the parking garage at 900 18th Ave. South has some more detail. Pearlmark Real Estate Partners is askingMetro Board of Zoning appeals to add another parking level to the existing 4 story garage, plus 4 stories of office space (122,000 sq. ft.) on top of that, for a total of 9 stories at 130 feet tall.  There would also be some street level retail space, and an outdoor amenities deck overlooking Chet Atkins Place. There will also be a catwalk constructed to connect the structure to 49 Music Square West.  Gresham Smith is handling design. They meet with Metro on Thurs. Sept. 19th for approval.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21087048/image-released-for-proposed-music-row-project

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 11.15.34 AM.png

This will be a great infill project that takes land 100% dedicated to parking and being put to better use.

There is currently an existing walkway connecting over to 49 Music Square West, don't know the condition of it, but it is definitely there now. Probably rebuilding it then?

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Doing a search on google maps, I noticed that a Hampton Inn is labeled at the SW corner of Music Sq. W (17th South) and Grand Ave. I believe that's the site formerly owned by Ray Stevens. Have project details been announced for that site? 

That is going to be a 7 story office building now, to be called 17th & Grand Above the Row.

• Thanks 3

I expect that little enclave of houses facing Wedgewood (set back) between 19th and 21st Avenues will go down soon. Loss of architecturally unique houses is one thing, but those mature trees are irreplaceable. Nashville's quickly losing its charm. What's happened to West End Park (Long Blvd.) breaks my heart. The new stuff is not even high quality, let alone the bland architecture.

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I expect that little enclave of houses facing Wedgewood (set back) between 19th and 21st Avenues will go down soon. Loss of architecturally unique houses is one thing, but those mature trees are irreplaceable. Nashville's quickly losing its charm. What's happened to West End Park (Long Blvd.) breaks my heart. The new stuff is not even high quality, let alone the bland architecture.

I disagree. Hackberry trees are VERY replaceable..... Yuck.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I expect that little enclave of houses facing Wedgewood (set back) between 19th and 21st Avenues will go down soon. 

It would be a really great place for a pocket park or even just some small retail buildings built up to the street. Of course, neither of those will likely happen because it's somehow more profitable to just tear down the houses.