Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

tAdwFDml.jpg

Here's a higher res version of that pic from my cell phone.  I can't wait for this project to finish so they'll stop parking heavy equipment in the f'ing bike lane! The ground floor landscaping needs to mature to cover up the blank walls around the parking garage and this project will be pretty handsome.They painted the vinyl siding on the back of the building and its not as much of an eyesore now.

Edited by chelovek

I like the look of the structure, but...and maybe I'm just being too nit-picky here...but why in so many so-called 'urban' Nashville projects are there sizable strips of grass between the building and the sidewalk?  It's so odd to me.  It appears that in the above project there is a good ten feet of grass between the building and the sidewalk.  What's the point?  Why not just build right up to the street?  It's not like that strip of grass is functional in any way, as in, it's not like people are going to use it to sunbathe or have a picnic.  I realize that space in Nashville isn't quite at the same premium that it is in other cities, so there might not be a "need" to make things as compact and efficient as possible, but to me, doing that just kind of messes up the urban feel of a neighorhood by skewing the street wall.  I mean, imagine what Hillsboro Village would feel like if it had grass in front of the buildings on both sides.  Is that mentality (the thought that every residence needs a yard) just a stubborn hold-over from Nashville's suburban roots? 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

Here is another tid bit. Surveyors were at the Buckingham site yesterday as well. I think that one is going to start very soon. Once you see Wendy's and Kens Sushi close, demo work will probably start. I spoke to someone at Wendy's back in December adn they said they were on a month to month lease. I am about 99% sure Kens is the same way.

On the Note 16 theme, there is one ugly side to this building. I think they could have done a better job. The side that faces sort of North and East pictured below.

079_zpsf54b8daf.jpg

I think we will have to wait and see what happens when the final plans are revealed. I do believe we will see some tweeks to the structure before construction starts.

By my calculations the building will be no taller than 350 maybe 375.

first floor at 20', then 21 stories @ 15' and if the cap is 40' then the total would be around 375'. I think that will be a stretch.

Belmont update,

Yesterday gannman post that there are additions coming to Belmont.

Thanks gannman, and here are the updates in print form from the Post.

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2013/2/8/belmont_preps_for_next_construction_round

From Belmont

http://www.belmont.edu/community/construction/index.html

• Like 1

Wow! Didn't even know Belmont was planning to add even more buildings! Wento go Google the site for the residence hall and found what I think is the Thrailkill garage.  Looks like the building will rise at the corner of North Bernard Circle and 15th, and attach at the rear with the existing garage behind the Thrilkill Residence Hall.  (Oh well! I couldn't paste the correct link from Google maps).

Obviously, Belmont is going to overtake those several blocks of bungalows in future years, but the thing that I'd be a bit nervous about if I lived in that area will be where they decide to locate their athletic fields. Clearly, the new cafeteria, along with the Law School building just finished and the Wedgwood Bldg (u/c), will result in that athletic field (Whitten Field) becoming a classic academic quadrangle. Where will the new field go? I recall they have an arrangement with Sevier Park, but those aren't for intramural and soccer use, are they?

Edited by MLBrumby

You can go ahead and check out the development map. It was updated as soon as I had the info.

I am about 90 % sure of the locations of the new buildings and it will show the location of all the other buildings built on campus recently as well.

http://www.communitywalk.com/nashville_development_/map/1558795

Can you guys tell that I'm working from home today... with UP on my laptop and my real work on the desktop?

Anyway, I can't believe I beat EVERYONE to this news from Nevin Battwalla at the NCP:

18-Story IC Hotel at Palmer's Summit.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2013/02/08/alex-palmer-18-story-intercontinental.html

So by my best guess, you guys have perhaps a better-than-fifty-fifty chance of seeing 6 towers of decent height downtown getting started in 2013 alone (in order of likelihood):

WE Summit (3)

Eakin's 12th and Laurel

Buckingham

SoBro

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

Can you guys tell that I'm working from home today... with UP on my laptop and my real work on the desktop?

Anyway, I can't believe I beat EVERYONE to this news from Nevin Battwalla at the NCP:

18-Story IC Hotel at Palmer's Summit.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2013/02/08/alex-palmer-18-story-intercontinental.html

So by my best guess, you guys have perhaps a better-than-fifty-fifty chance of seeing 6 towers of decent height downtown getting started in 2013 alone (in order of likelihood):

WE Summit (3)

Eakin's 12th and Laurel

Buckingham

SoBro

I feel you. I've had multiple tabs open all day. It's really exciting to read about some of these big projects we've been hearing about for a while as they inch closer to fruition. 

That is a really odd thing for Palmer to say.....it may be true, but that's typically something you keep to yourself. Haha.

Now that this appears to be almost certain it makes me wonder how the IC will affect Sobro and the MCC. On one hand, it seems like a good development for attracting big conventions as there will be another top notch hotel in town. Hopefully the BRT line will be complete around the same time and conventioneers could take it to the IC. On the other hand (from a glass half empty perspective), is this going to act as another impediment to full service hotels deciding to locate in Sobro and directly adjacent to the MCC which would be a negative for the MCC bookings I would think.

All that said, I still think this is awesome news for Nashville. After all, a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

I really don tthink it will hurt the MCC chances of landing another full service hotel. This is a different market and will hurt Lowes, The Hermitage and the big Marriott on West End.

We have felt all along this was going to happen and Daniel called it and I concured after seeing the online plans. The hotel was right in the middle .

No we have to wait and see what brand goes in the Buckingham project. I think I would call that two towers too. I think you can count the residential tower as one and the hotel as another. So that will be 7 towers and I would almost bet there will be at least two more tower that may be coming.

Palmer planning another highrise in Midtown but we do not know where yet.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/02/three-things-you-might-not-know-about.html

from the article:

He's a Tennessee Titans ticket holder who is slowly becoming a Pred-head.

"Some of the people who go to Titans games look like they crawled out of a rock," Palmer said. "I'm not trying to be a snob, but the people that go to the Predators have a hell of a lot higher class than people who go to Titan games. It's still blue collar. But I look around and there are nice looking men and women who all got their jerseys on. There hair isn't hanging down to here."

what a boneheaded thing to say?

eric b

Edited by e-dub

from the article:

what a boneheaded thing to say?

eric b

Yea, he's kind of a twit.

Is the model shown in the picture out of date? It looks a lot different than the current images that have been floating around. The tower on the left is slenderer and has balconies which I guess is a relic of its days as a condo. 

I like the look of the structure, but...and maybe I'm just being too nit-picky here...but why in so many so-called 'urban' Nashville projects are there sizable strips of grass between the building and the sidewalk? It's so odd to me. It appears that in the above project there is a good ten feet of grass between the building and the sidewalk. What's the point? Why not just build right up to the street? It's not like that strip of grass is functional in any way, as in, it's not like people are going to use it to sunbathe or have a picnic. I realize that space in Nashville isn't quite at the same premium that it is in other cities, so there might not be a "need" to make things as compact and efficient as possible, but to me, doing that just kind of messes up the urban feel of a neighorhood by skewing the street wall. I mean, imagine what Hillsboro Village would feel like if it had grass in front of the buildings on both sides. Is that mentality (the thought that every residence needs a yard) just a stubborn hold-over from Nashville's suburban roots?

I think when you look at the immediate neighborhood, which is commercialized but was originally mostly single family with yards, a wall right at the street might seem a bit out of place. I don't know if a large setback is required by law. I think the most appropriate thing for this building would be a landscape strip about 3' with no grass and really heavy landscaping, something that is common in England but you don't see much in America, the Episcopal church on Broadway and I guess 8th is the only example I know here.

This church is quite brilliant, there is about two feet of space and they have nearly full-sized trees, vines, and they've taken advantage of the warmth-retaining stone walls and the shade on the east side to grow some camellias which are not really hardy here but thrive in the micro-climate created by the building. And no exposed mulch. Almost all the landscaping done here in the last 20 years or so is so cheap and unimaginative looking. I'd favor an ordinance against ball-shaped dwarf shrubs on a sea of exposed mulch. Actually the stuff Metro does is not bad--most of their pruning is actually done correctly, which is rare indeed, and the Bicentennial Mall shows an imaginative choice of plants considering that they're limited to low maintenance, mostly native and drought-resistant--but most residences and commercial properties are drab and dismal with their much too big fields of empty mulch dotted with much too small shrubs. I could go on forever about it so I'm going to stop now...

Just for fun...

WESx32_zps04d79e1a.jpg

....did a little photo shopping to try to an idea of the density and massing of the project. I know it's very rough, but get an idea of how significant this could be.

Nice job... the sad thing is that none of the real towers will even be as tall as the short one in this photo.  It's going to be a massive project, but forget about height.  I'll be surprised if it even breaks 300'.