Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

After reading the article about BRT up Charlotte Avenue, I searched for more info on the 17th and Broadway building.  I found this... "The 294 unit project will rise a minimum of 13 stories above Midtown with 9 levels of residential over 5 levels of above and partially below grade structured parking. Each residential floor will include approximately 33 luxury rental apartments; the ground floor will offer 8,500 square feet of attractive retail and restaurant space fronting Broadway and Division Street."

Unfortunately, it sounds like this will go where that great little block of shops sits along the west side of 17th between Broadway and Division.

http://solvesolutions.com/southernland/?page_id=664

After reading the article about BRT up Charlotte Avenue, I searched for more info on the 17th and Broadway building.  I found this... "The 294 unit project will rise a minimum of 13 stories above Midtown with 9 levels of residential over 5 levels of above and partially below grade structured parking. Each residential floor will include approximately 33 luxury rental apartments; the ground floor will offer 8,500 square feet of attractive retail and restaurant space fronting Broadway and Division Street."

Unfortunately, it sounds like this will go where that great little block of shops sits along the west side of 17th between Broadway and Division.

http://solvesolutions.com/southernland/?page_id=664

A real, real shame.  Nashville continues to destroy that which makes itself unique and sets itself apart from other cities, in exchange for being more like other cities.  I'm all for urban development, but preservation of local character should be high on the list of priorities for us and a key part of the city's urban renaissance.  What's going to go in the base of this project (if it even has retail at the base)?  A Quiznos?  A Chipotle?  R.I.P. Sub Stop...you will be greatly missed.  What irritates me is that this strip of businesses could be worked around relatively easily, but no, Southern Land would rather take the lazy way out when it comes to design. 

I apologize if I regularly sound negative.  These truly are exciting times in Nashville and I am absolutely thrilled with the changes going on.  But when is this crap going to stop?  How much longer until some money hungry developer buys up that iconic strip of businesses in Elliston Place to put up a sterile stucco condo block?  How much longer until the rest of Hillsboro Village is destroyed for some more mediocrity?  These are the areas that make Nashville, NASHVILLE. 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

The thing that makes me crazy is that this project would tear down vintage buildings in order to put up another building - - - that will be across the street from parking lots.  I know that the parking lots were not for sale, but the historic buildings were.  I get that.  But it's a little maddening. 

This particular block seems to sit just, and I mean just, outside the Planning Commission's Midtown Community Plan area.  Metro Historic is working with Planning in that process to inquire of owners of historic properties if they would be willing to include historic protections on their properties before the rezoning/upzoning takes place later this year.  But this block is somehow left out of that.  And the only Music Row blocks that are currently protected are in the area kind of between Magnolia/Wedgewood and Horton way to the south.

I would really hate to see the historic buildings go.  If only they could just build a midrise behind them and then leave the historic buildings in the front as retail spaces kind of like what was originally proposed for that one block in the Gulch.

• Like 3

I do wish more developers would opt to incorporate existing historic structures into new designs more often. I'm sure it probably costs more, but I also look at it as an opportunity to create a building that's truly unique. After seeing Hearst Tower up close in NYC, I am convinced that we need more developers who are not afraid to think outside of the box when it comes to working around our historic fabric. 

• Like 1

I agree with the general gripe...especially in the case when the buildings are being USED. I've always loved Sub Stop's bright color scheme, and it appears that there's a relatively recent coat on it today. If they were old, dilapidated, abandoned buildings...that might be one thing. But they are not. I'd hesitate to call them "beautiful"...but they are character buildings. Yes, over time...some old buildings will be lost. That's a fact of life. Some of them don't really hold much historic value. But these cool facades are what make the neighborhoods unique. I agree with the idea of putting up a building behind these structures. Just add a couple of floors to make up the space.

Midtown has a ton of potential because it's full of quirky old buildings along with some more mundane buildings and parking lots that are prime for redevelopment. It could potentially create a very cool neighborhood mix. I do wish more developers would show some restraint. Not every lowrise lot needs to be turned into a highrise. I'm not exactly part of the "save everything!" crowd...but it's hard to tell where the line is when you've done too much. At some point, you look back and regret it...darn...we should've saved at least a few more of these...

Edited by UTgrad09

Hi all, been lurking here since I moved to Nashville in 2011. Decided to finally sign up to post some exciting info that I found on one of the Vandy football message boards. Details are limited as it's buried in the Columbus, OH bizjournal, but it's a start.

$60 million renovation and expansion of Vandy football stadium

Interestingly the article is now missing. I cannot find reference to it but I know the company was Moody Nolan out of Columbus. I would bet they did not want local media on this and wanted to keep it quiet for some reason.

Anybody know anything about 20th & Belcourt, which was announced back in 2008 or so? The sign and website are still up. This was to have been built atop the P-lot across 20th from Sunset Grill.

http://20thandbelcourt.com/

I have seen the signs up for years. I had no idea about the website, though. Interesting building, though I don't find it particularly attractive.

I think the site would work better as residential/retail, though.

I'd take the Vandy stadium announcement with a large grain of salt.  The business model for football - pro and major college - is based on television revenue, not butts in the seats. An exploration of options - what the Vandy announcement actually said was going to occur - may reveal that money would be better spent on other things.  And, since Vandy - less than half the size of Austin Peay - has no access to public money, funding would be dependant on fund raising which is never a given.

This has been on the drawing board for a while, but there's a new building slated to go up next to Olin Hall (Engineering) at Vandy. It's called the TEAM building and there are preliminary drawings, etc. here. Not sure about a construction timeline. This would occupy the grassy, treed space across from the baseball field where they set up tents for alumni weekend.

• Like 1

Good find.  I had known that Olin was originally built (circa 1974) with a vision for a second tower.  When I was at Vandy, we always referred to it as "the urinal".  Glad the new building will not be adopting the same design theme. LOL

It will be a bit sad to lose that land, as it is where the school holds its annual Homecoming Tailgate Party.  It's a great level parklike area. 

Edited by MLBrumby