Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

Good find.  I had known that Olin was originally built (circa 1974) with a vision for a second tower.  When I was at Vandy, we always referred to it as "the urinal".  Glad the new building will not be adopting the same design theme. LOL

It will be a bit sad to lose that land, as it is where the school holds its annual Homecoming Tailgate Party.  It's a great level parklike area. 

Yeah that tower is unique.  On one hand I hate the design, especially for an engineering building, but on the other hand I love it because it looks like a mini Fermi lab!!

I know I'm a week or so late on this topic but, I think that the improvements to Vandy's stadium over the last 10 years or so are great.  Adding the brick and iron gates looks 100 times better than it used to.  Also, after sitting through the entire UT game last November, I was impressed with the changes to the open endzone.  I really liked the new look of the berm compared to the old pavement/wooden bleachers/hospitality tents that have been there in the past  Also, ditching battleship grey was a smart move.   Now they just need more restrooms.

Another thing that impressed me was that this was the first UT Vandy game that I had ever been to and been in the minority fan group.  And I've been to a lot!

William mentioned there would be an article in the paper a the meet Saturday and there was nothing that we didnt already know, but it is encouraging to know there will be a lot more development around WES. This is going to spur a lot of growth. As someone said at a forum meet not long ago is when you spend a billion in an area you dont have to worry about it. Well in this case I guess 1 third of a billion is good and that will really help the area between Hayes and Charlotte. No need for any more tax dollars, but the are going to get a huge return on the investment of the tax break just from all of the other development it will spur. I sure hope the council members that voted against that break consider that, next time there is an incentive to be given.

On a related note, on the same side of town, the demo permit was issued for the buildings on the corner of 24th and Acklen for the new 16 unit condo building to go there to be built by Regent homes.

The Manning that has been on hold for five years may break ground by the end of the year. We discussed this a little earlier last week or week before.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2013/03/05/developer-expects-to-break-ground-on.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2013-03-05&u=ml+EifejNKTk6m0nrsqtJGA6+Y

Would still love to see Tony Giarratana revive a version of Siggy at the corner of 8th and Demonbreun with a hotel/condo mix.  He could even give Nashville a new tallest if the timing were right for condos again.  Maybe The Manning will test the waters, and favorably.

Would still love to see Tony Giarratana revive a version of Siggy at the corner of 8th and Demonbreun with a hotel/condo mix.  He could even give Nashville a new tallest if the timing were right for condos again.  Maybe The Manning will test the waters, and favorably.

Not sure I agree or disagree. I think, given that it's Tony, we need to actually see the land acquisition happen before I even start predicting style or saying what I do and don't want.

Not sure I agree or disagree. I think, given that it's Tony, we need to actually see the land acquisition happen before I even start predicting style or saying what I do and don't want.

Yeah, I know... just wishing more than anything.  I mean, he would have -- presumably -- a ready hotel demanded by the MCC.  And if (a big "if") the condo market has turned the corner in Nashville, and specifically downtown, then it is conceivable (albeing not likely) that the ingredients would be there for a "mini-Sig", of 45-50 floors and that iconic cap. 

I like his ambition, but the execution seems to be lacking. 

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

I am glad to see Hayes Street is in the mix. I always thought State Street could be in the mix as well. It's a cool "hidden" street many people do not even realize is there.

I can envision the area becoming a second Gulch if you will, with it's own vibe, street activation, and culture.

• Like 1

Elliston Place historic/rezoning meeting 03/07 at 5:30 PM.  There will be a meeting with the Planning department and Metro Historic Commission tonight at the Metro Parks offices at 2565 Park Plaza Drive (behind Centennial Park) regarding the ongoing Midtown community rezoning process. 

The purpose of this specific meeting is to discuss historic overlays for properties in the area around Elliston/23rd/Louise.  Those who are interested in historic presevation as part of the ongoing Midtown rezoning legislation will want to take part if you can make it. 

Here is a link to the Planning website's discussion of the Elliston Place UDO.  http://www.nashville.gov/Planning-Department/Community-Planning-Design/Our-Communities/Green-Hills-Midtown.aspx

Edited by bwithers1

Tennessee Orthopaedic Alliance to move HQ to new Connector area in 2015

This is the first tennant for OneC1ty

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130307/BUSINESS05/303070059/Tennessee-Orthopaedic-Alliance-move-HQ-new-Connector-area-2015

That's great news. I have a feeling OneC1ty will be slower to develop...but perhaps if a few key tenants can be lured there, then several of the others scattered around Church/Charlotte will look to move there and we can 'consolidate' the medical community and open up the rest of the neighborhood to more urban residential development.

An article from The City Paper about future growth in midtown;

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2013/3/3/midtown_braces_for_major_growth

Nothing that we don't already know, but a decent read.

I struggled writing that one. Couldn't shed any new light for the hardcore types. 

WW

The Hull: Will She Be Spared?

Sorry William, I hope you didn't take that as an insult. I love your writing. I just meant its nothing the we ("we", being the diehards on this forum) didn't know. I'm sure the general public doesn't know half of what's going on, so I know it's very informative for most.

I sometimes forget to check my ego at the door.

Edited by nashvillwill

It is a perfect location, even with the traffic nightmare. 

I read a story last year of St. Thomas and the Dominican Campus (Aquinas, St Cecilia, Overbrook) discussing a remodel of the building for dorms for nursing students that could do practicals at St Thomas... I guess that fell through or that may be the new development.

As an aside....  rumour mill is churning that the Ensworth Campus (HS) is planning dorms to accommodate borders. If this happens it may only be a matter of time before MBA must answer. With the MBA campus being land-locked they will have to pay quite a premium to for any such development on West End/Whitand.