Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

VUMC continues to expand in their current footprint, adding new patient beds and displacing offices and outpatient clinics to other locations. Newest example, the 8th floor of Medical Center East North tower is being converted to inpatient beds, with a new sky ridge to connect across Med Center Drive. Current occupants of that space to move to other locations. Continuation of an ongoing trend.

• Like 1

Panattoni Building a 1 Music Circle East is getting closer to reality.  Apparently they are about to being a lease with a record label to take a fair amount of the space of the 5 story, 96,000 sq. ft. office building.  Story behind the paywall at NBJ.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/05/12/exclusive-fast-growing-music-label-could-headline.html

Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 1.33.10 PM.png

• Like 1

Mid Town has a lot of free standing fast food, gas stations and banks and other stuff that have those gaudy signs. Some examples are McDonalds, Taco Bell, Jack n the Box, White Castle, etc. Are any of these up for sale, or have been purchased and will be developed that anyone knows of? I find this kind of thing to be a real buzz kill.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

I've said it before and again now... West End is an embarrassment from the Gulch to 31st (20 blocks!) with a brief interruption at Vandy. 

"Embarrassment" might be a bit strong. I'd go more with "visually disappointing."

In reality the businesses on that stretch of West End serve the needs generated by that area -- heavy traffic is, for better or worse, going to generate the demand for greasy burger joints and the usual hodgepodge of hotels and gas stations. Although in hindsight, there could've been more done (in terms of zoning requirements) years ago that would've helped some of those businesses along West End look a lot less garish and blend better with the more traditional style of Vanderbilt. It could've been a nice stretch with more planning years ago.

But as the saying goes, that ship has sailed.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jamie Hall said:

"Embarrassment" might be a bit strong. I'd go more with "visually disappointing."

In reality the businesses on that stretch of West End serve the needs generated by that area -- heavy traffic is, for better or worse, going to generate the demand for greasy burger joints and the usual hodgepodge of hotels and gas stations. Although in hindsight, there could've been more done (in terms of zoning requirements) years ago that would've helped some of those businesses along West End look a lot less garish and blend better with the more traditional style of Vanderbilt. It could've been a nice stretch with more planning years ago.

But as the saying goes, that ship has sailed.

Agreed... case in point, that relatively new building that houses (last i knew anyway) a Marriott and a Borders books.  They were literally required by the zoning laws of the day to put a parking lot in front of the building.  Insane.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I also despise that Krispy Kreme in Elliston Place.

I would be curious to know, however, how much traffic they get over the Dunkin' Donuts two blocks west, placed under the ideally-developed Elliston 23, simply by virtue of having a drive-thru.

As @Jamie Hall notes the neighborhood, dense as it is on some blocks, is still very much characterized by heavy vehicular traffic, and largely commuter/hospital traffic at that. In other words, it's ideally suited for drive-thru fast food and the traffic for the Cook Out, Taco Bell, Wendy's, and especially the McDonald's (which is reaching Brentwood Chick-fil-A levels of patronization) reflects that. (Not Jack in the Box though, that place sucks.)

It's an unfortunate reality but the good news is that it's trending in the direction of urbanization. The Hyatt behind the Krispy Kreme, for example, will put a lot of pressure on that corner to redevelop.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

case in point, that relatively new building that houses (last i knew anyway) a Marriott and a Borders books.  They were literally required by the zoning laws of the day to put a parking lot in front of the building.  Insane.

That project could have looked impressive sitting up against the street and would have encouraged pedestrian traffic from campus. Instead, that tiny, congested parking area seems to invite customers to make 1-2 passes up and down the lot before finally either giving up or settling on the hidden parking garage. (I confess that I lived here for about 2 years before I realized the parking garage was available.)

One project that seemed to do it the right way is the strip mall down the street with the DGX, Five Guys Burgers, Sun Tan City and Jason's Deli down. Credit to them for building up to the street and putting the parking underground.

• Like 4