Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

So a couple of Vandy questions:

(1) If Vandy does move their football operations to the Fairgrounds, what would they do with the current stadium location?
(2) Do they have any long term plan for all that parking west of Natchez Trace?
(3) why have they bought so much property east of 21st? Do they have long term plans for all those lots?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUNash said:

So a couple of Vandy questions:

(1) If Vandy does move their football operations to the Fairgrounds, what would they do with the current stadium location?
(2) Do they have any long term plan for all that parking west of Natchez Trace?
(3) why have they bought so much property east of 21st? Do they have long term plans for all those lots?

On #3, I think they're just planning for the future, whether that be 5 years or 50 years from now.  East and south are about the only directions they can go, even though Music Row businesses would love to keep 16th and 17th music related and keep Vandy and Belmont out.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wreynol4 said:

After the 59-0 beatdown today and 100 years of mediocrity at best, it's wise not to invest in football for them.

Yeah... maybe i'm outing myself as a yankee by saying this, but, I'm so proud that Nashville's premier school bucks the SEC trend by concentrating on ACADEMICS rather than football.  You can have the  football, Alabama.  Nashville is more concerned with building bright minds for tomorrow. 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Yeah... maybe i'm outing myself as a yankee by saying this, but, I'm so proud that Nashville's premier school bucks the SEC trend by concentrating on ACADEMICS rather than football.  You can have the f*ing football, Alabama.  Nashville is more concerned with building bright minds for tomorrow. 

I agree there's a certain amount of pride in it, but success in football and academics aren't mutually exclusive. Schools like Michigan, Stanford, UCLA, and Cal-Berkeley are great academic schools that have (sometimes) great football teams. And Alabama's academic rankings have been rising since Saban came to town, as the schools brand had become more nationally and internationally recognizable. Vandy just doesn't put much institutional effort into football, which is fine. It's them. But it's not just because of their academics. 

• Like 3

Talking about property Vanderbilt  owns around Music Row is in a word or a lot. They bought the old Sony building that fronts 17th and owns the majority of the property from there all the way to West End in a stright line. Most of the East side of 18th that backs to the alley is all venderbilt until you get to Edgehill and most everything on 19th as well.

The United Methodist Church owns a lot of land all the way from 12th to 21st along Grand and a few other streets through there. 

Thats a whole lot of land owned by non profits that if were in private hands would generate millions in taxes. I can see the UMC selling more of thier property as time goes on just because of the nature of tech and dwindling membership .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whatwhat said:

I like to joke with my SEC friends that Vandy has a bigger endowment than their schools and could have a good football team if they really wanted to but instead spend their money on "silly things" like children's hospitals. 

But I don't think Vandy's sending back that nearly $40 Million check they get each year from the SEC, either.  That would be "silly." ;)

• Like 2

On #3, I think they're just planning for the future, whether that be 5 years or 50 years from now.  East and south are about the only directions they can go, even though Music Row businesses would love to keep 16th and 17th music related and keep Vandy and Belmont out.

Does anyone know anything about their campus planning department? The only school that is comparable that I really know well is Emory, and Emory seems leaps and bounds ahead of Vandy in terms of well executed campus design and development. I do think the new things that Vandy has built along West End -- Kissam and whatever the one is called that they are building across from West End UMC at 23rd -- are top notch. But a lot of their campus -- other than the old traditional structures and the newest ones -- seems ill designed by comparison to Emory. I'm sure this is an unfair gross generalization. But I suppose I'm wondering if the newer things mentioned above indicate some more intentional and better planning process has been adopted in recent years?

On 9/24/2017 at 2:47 AM, titanhog said:

I see you posted this at 2:47am yesterday, ill excuse you for your alcohol consumption and funny post

8 hours ago, AUNash said:

Does anyone know anything about their campus planning department? The only school that is comparable that I really know well is Emory, and Emory seems leaps and bounds ahead of Vandy in terms of well executed campus design and development. I do think the new things that Vandy has built along West End -- Kissam and whatever the one is called that they are building across from West End UMC at 23rd -- are top notch. But a lot of their campus -- other than the old traditional structures and the newest ones -- seems ill designed by comparison to Emory. I'm sure this is an unfair gross generalization. But I suppose I'm wondering if the newer things mentioned above indicate some more intentional and better planning process has been adopted in recent years?

Here's the link to their Campus Planning and Construction office: http://www.cpc.vanderbilt.edu/

• Like 1