Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

Hmmm, is he the one who had all those big plans for the property where Hattie B's is? Also the guy who destroyed Fannie Battle home for the alleged Kennect project? And the hilltop residential building near intersection of I-40 west and I-440?  If he is the one I'm thinking of, he doesn't have a track record of building anything. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Hmmm, is he the one who had all those big plans for the property where Hattie B's is? Also the guy who destroyed Fannie Battle home for the alleged Kennect project? And the hilltop residential building near intersection of I-40 west and I-440?  If he is the one I'm thinking of, he doesn't have a track record of building anything. 

I thought he was the guy who bought the Noshville property?

I posted this in another thread.

I would not give much credibility to the guy that bought the SunTrust property on West End. This is the same guy that has proposed the high-rise at the Noshville site, the hotel at I 65 and OHB, the Sky Nashville project off of Charlotte and the stalled 8th and Argyll project. That one was only 8 units ant they cant even finish it.

This guy is a land banker and nothing else based on his previous projects

• Like 1

This may be kind of an older topic for this board, but I recently went to the Belcourt theater for the first time in years, and the first time since they expanded and renovated the lobby area. They truly did an atrocious job. When you expand portions of a theater built in the 1920s, you don’t make it look like an ice cream shop built in 2016. They have ridiculously misused the exposed-ceiling-structure and tube-lighting look in a building where the classical theater look would have been perfect. I felt nothing of the history that the lobby of that theater should evoke. It really disappointed me that they would give so little honor to the original look of the building. Thankfully they didn’t mess with the theaters themselves, they still have the beautiful stage-surrounding decorations. I don’t know if any of you have been there since the expansion, but I would love to hear any other thoughts on the subject. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ I actually like it.  They had some severe limitations on what they could do space wise, and maximized it well with the addition of the third screening room upstairs, new much larger restrooms, an elevator, classrooms, and much needed office space.  There wasn't really much historical about the old lobby, as it had been altered numerous times (and looked pretty tacky, honestly).  And I agree that they did a wonderful job maintaining the 1925 theater (with much improved ventilation/HVAC in walls and ceiling.  Cutting off the back section of seats in the 1966 theater was a wise move, and helped create all the extra space for the ticket area and restrooms.   As a regular member of Belcourt, I very much appreciate the entire upgrade.

Mark I agree that what the renovations and additions added were good and needed, particularly the larger restrooms and lobby space. It’s promarily the look of them that I have issues with. The old lobby may not have been historic looking, but it would have looked really good if they had done the renovations in a 1920s or 1930s scheme, kind of like they did with the Noelle. I can imagine a flashy marquee, classic 1920s movie posters, marble floors with velvety red carpet rugs, classic wall lighting and maybe a big chandelier. 

The Belmont-Hillsboro building fronting 21st Avenue and once the headquarters of The Catholic Diocese of Nashville has hit the market for an undisclosed asking price.

Built in 1957 and skinned in brick and stone, the three-story structure sits on 2.09 acres at 2400 21st Ave. South.

Will be interesting to see if this might be repurposed for new offices, or mixed use, or will be razed for something new.  It's a rather unremarkable structure, and a lot of lawn space facing 21st Ave. in front and parking lot in back could be better utilized.  Perhaps something along the lines with what Mainland is doing with the Elliott School at Jefferson and 6th Ave. North could be put together for condos being added to the original building.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20989298/excatholic-diocese-headquarters-hits-market

Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 8.27.24 AM.png

• Like 2

I like to see owners of viable businesses in the central core doubling down on their properties.     The owners of the SureBrite property know that they're sitting on a gold mine and that developers would line up to buy it.      We need to maintain a mix of services in midtown/downtown and not end up with a monoculture of stuccoed apartment buildings and $5 cup-of-coffee shops.       ok, and it's also a bit of selfishness on my part.    Until we have transit, I'll continue to drive in to work and use SureBrite to keep my ride shiny.   :rolleyes:  

• Like 1