Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

Bobby's Idle Hour bar will relocate to a new site at 9 Music Square South (Grand Ave.),  a block away from its current locale, which is part of a new 6 story, 130,000 sq. ft. office building by Panattoni.  The bar hopes to reopen in a few months at the new spot.   This is a small cinder block building that has housed a studio in the past.  It is immediately to the west of where a new hotel is being proposed.

So, all's well that ends well.  

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2019/02/11/bobbys-idle-hour-tavern-nashville-music-row/2838279002/

9 Music Square South, Bobbys Idle Hour, Feb 12, 2019, site.png

9 Music Square South, Bobbys Idle Hour, Feb 12, 2019, site map.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Music Row property owners would be entitled to new tax breaks to preserve and rehabilitate their historic buildings under newly filed state legislation.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2019/02/12/nashville-music-row-preservation-tax-incentive-historic-buildings/2845912002/

great news, but I pray it's not too late.

Do we know how many studios so far have been torn down?

I agree with William that a certain amount of industrial grit is a plus in that it adds an urban character to a place that helps to give it a unique aesthetic and sets it apart from other places.  That being said, when it comes to this specific site, I'm not really sure how much "grit" this dairy actually adds.  It's just a bunch of white aluminum.   Urban industrial grit to me means a lot of brick and old smokestacks and things like that like you find at the Neuhoff site in Germantown.  So I'm with you @markhollin.  I am hoping the Dairy receives an offer for it's property that it can't refuse.  I don't think it hurts anything to have them there, and by all accounts they've been pillars of the community for years, but I salivate thinking about the uses the city could get out of a site that large and that central.

• Like 2

I’ve always liked driving down Church street and seeing those giant vats line the street, but I wasn’t aware the property went so far back and I agree that the majority of that lot is definitely underutilized. I’d love to see it developed into a Marathon-type property that preserves the industrial facade along Church Street.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LA_TN said:

We have a million other things to worry about before trying to uproot a thriving business. If driving out business is important, focus on PSC Metals

We're just talking about them selling if they get a good price and whether or not you redevelop the current structures or scrape clean.  Not talking about uprooting them.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 8:50 AM, markhollin said:

I have an ongoing debate with William Williams from the Nashville Post.  I claim that it is a prime location for development that would be more beneficial to the city's purpose, look, and feel.   He claims that it is a gritty presence that is necessary within the center city core.

The location made better sense for them as a central distribution point in the days of home milk/dairy delivery 50 years ago and beyond, but in today's world, they could  serve their grocery store clients just as well  from a relocation to another area. And I'm sure they would pocket a decent profit from the sale as well. 

An even if it weren't to move, at the very least the blank walls surrounding much of the site and the 40 ft. tall columns of tanks should be covered with stimulating art. 

What say you?

This facility was necessary for this location 50 years ago. not anymore.  If they sold, and moved to a location farther from the CBD, they would be living comfortably  for generations. 

It's grittiness is necessary?? I agree with @BnaBreaker in that there is nothing gritty or typically industrial about this structure.

As for the plain white silos, there is nothing about those eyesores that sparks nostalgia or fond memories for me. This is a prominent, ideally located lot that should be redeveloped. 

The need for warehouses and processing plants in the Downtown area is GONE.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NashvilleObserver said:

This facility was necessary for this location 50 years ago. not anymore.  If they sold, and moved to a location farther from the CBD, they would be living comfortably  for generations. 

It's grittiness is necessary?? I agree with @BnaBreaker in that there is nothing gritty or typically industrial about this structure.

As for the plain white silos, there is nothing about those eyesores that sparks nostalgia or fond memories for me. This is a prominent, ideally located lot that should be redeveloped. 

The need for warehouses and processing plants in the Downtown area is GONE.  

Agreed.   Metro needs to do a better job of setting aside areas such as Bells Bend, Cockrill Bend and Neely's Bend for industrial /warehouse development and relocation in order to relocate plants like this and other industries such as those on the Cumberland so these areas can be freed up for residential and green space development. Also the city needs right now to address the affordable housing issue so lower income workers can survive in Davidson County and live closer to the industrial/warehouse parks where they are needed.

These needs to happen now!

• Like 3

Unless that Country Delite Farms facility focuses on customers in the CBD, and unless its employees are from the surrounding neighborhoods, I can't imagine that it's still convenient for them to operate because of the hassles of traffic and rising property values. But the same could be said for a lot of the warehouse and industrial-type operations still functioning around the inner loop.

Nostalgia aside, it would seem like smart business to sell sprawling property like this for a pretty penny, find land somewhere off Briley, and start fresh with a modern, upgraded facility with easier access.

• Like 3

Did you guys know this was happening? Gold Rush closes. https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2019/02/18/nashville-gold-rush-elliston-place-closes/2903829002/

This wasn't a place I frequented, and really did not have any affinity for, but I enjoyed the whole Rock Block being there. So who knows what's going there? 

PS: When I got to Vandy, the reputation at Gold Rush was people had been killed there. Anyone know anything about that? 

• Sad 2