Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

I think it is a fine design for a turnkey project. It's better then what is there. It's not how it looks when built, but 10 years later. We could see a lot of these kind of projects themselves razed several years from now for something different.

I suspect the majority of these low rise apartment projects going up around town to at some point be replaced by something else. The only place they stay forever is the suburbs. There are a couple of hideous looking condo and apartment buildings in Bellevue that have been there since the late 1960's and they have never been replaced, nor were they built with finer materials either.

This project is fine.

The same is true for the tons and tons and tons of GI Bill homes (also called "Jones Homes") that popped up in the 1940s that were marketed to soldiers returning from the war.  They were also called "Starter Homes."  There are a bunch of these around even East Nashville that have obviously stood there for going on 70 years.  They weren't necessarily mean to last 10 years!  The often have absolutely no gutter or eave overhang.  But somehow they have survived.

As much as we say that these newer buildings won't be torn down, Nashville is bad about tearing down precisely the wrong buildings but preserving a Mrs. Winners or a cinderblock gas/service station.

Edited by bwithers1

• 2 weeks later...

Southern Land no longer going to develop midtown project.

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2013/7/11/developer_steps_away_from_midtown_site

I think the property is controlled by an entity called Broadway Properties or something like that. They may want to do their own thing is what I am suspecting  as Southern Land is still looking at other properties in the area. There was a proposal for a hotel and condo project here before the bubble.

Waiting on someone to post this and no one did.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/07/construction-anticipated-near-baptist.html

I think the main thing here is the new building that will sit on the corner of 20th and Church. The plans I saw last year show it will be a four story building and a parking garage in the rear. There is a parking lot there now and I think will take the building that is being used for the security services.

I agree with you.  I'm actually relieved that this project is shelved for now.  Those buildings have charm and class - well, the sub shop has quirky charm - and are SURROUNDED by parking lots. 

Would be nice if that row of quirky buildings could remain through whatever gets built there.  I know... doubtful. 

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

My bad, not 14th. It's next door to the new Jacks Bar B Q lot. It's closer to 17 or 18th, on the south side of the street. WW said it was some kind of medical building. It is a block north of a few existing medical buildings, and it's quite a large lot.

• 2 weeks later...

If this is on the left side of Charlotte heading outbound, then it is the Ascend credit union building. When ever you have a question about a project, just check the development map. I should have most everything on there including all proposed that I know of.

Whoa, Nash is getting an Ascend? Nice!

Every time I see that West End Park neighborhood it just makes me do a face palm.  There is some pretty good density there, and many multi-family structures, but it has to be the most random, grab bag, haphazardly planned neighborhood in the city.  Dead end roads, sidewalks that simply end, completely uninspired architecture, buildings that are built with no zero consideration for it's neighbors or the neighborhood in general and how it relates to them, buildings that widely varying distances from the street, some that sit behind large swaths of grass or asphalt, zero commercial anywhere to be found...it's just really, really bad.  So much density, and yet it still feels completely suburban and uninteresting.  Every project that has been built there in the past several decades, regardless of how large it is, just feels like a complete waste to me because almost none of them have done anything to actually contribute to building a neighborhood.  I suppose the good news is that it, like the city as a whole, is changing for the better.  But oh, what could have been with just a little bit of foresight.