Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

I enjoyed the meal that I had from the Capitol View Central BBQ when they opened. I'm happy to hear that they're already expanding in Nashville and reusing the old Sportman's Grille space.  I'll probably frequently visit this location. 

Edited by ariesjow
  • Like 3

On 12/31/2019 at 11:16 AM, titanhog said:

^^Would you guys rather have the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the curb...or a wider sidewalk?

I enjoy the grass strip as it softens the edge of the road. It provides a better sense of protection to the pedestrian. Now I agree it would be nicer to have a wider sidewalk, but because this isn't a main drag really, it can get away with it a bit more. 

• Like 2

On 12/26/2019 at 11:49 AM, smeagolsfree said:

Scaffolding going up on the Octagon building on 17th South for the what appears to be the hotel project. This thing has been delayed for a long time. I think there is a separate thread.

It was on this thread so here is the info.....

Music Row's UA Tower (Octagon Building) is set to become a Hilton Tapestry Collection hotel.

https://musicrow.com/2018/10/music-rows-united-artists-tower-to-become-184-room-boutique-hilton-hotel/

Nashville’s United Artists Tower, owned by Sai Ram 009 LLC and located at 50 Music Square West, is set to become a 184-room boutique upscale hotel under Tapestry Collection by Hilton Brand. Work on the 56,700-square-foot building is slated to begin at the end of this year, with an opening set for 2020.

The hotel will feature a 360-degree rooftop bar, and the owners are enthusiastic about revitalizing the property and reinforced the importance of partnering with individuals, like Hotel Equities and Tapestry Collection by Hilton, who share in their desire to provide a unique experience for visiting guests, and to pay homage to the building’s history.

tapestry-collection-by-hilton-in-nashville-tn.jpg

UA-united-artists-tower-.jpg

I still don't understand how this works structurally. I just can't remember other projects that fundamentally changed the building's massing like this.

On 12/31/2019 at 12:17 PM, markhollin said:

Central BBQ, out of Memphis, will open its second Nashville location at 1601 21st Ave. South (formerly Sportsman's Grille). They will be leasing the space from Vanderbilt Univ., who bought the site in 2018. The second floor will be utilized  for private events. It could be open as early as May.  They opened their first location in Capitol View a few months ago.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/12/31/popular-memphis-bbq-restaurant-expanding-to.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

1601 21st Ave South, Sportsman's Grille,  Aug, 2017 x.JPG

Does anyone know the history of that building? I think it was called Spats when I came to Vandy but maybe it changed over to that place. I just don't remember much about it. Supposedly they had a good reputation for mixed drinks which I don't do.

11 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Does anyone know the history of that building? I think it was called Spats when I came to Vandy but maybe it changed over to that place. I just don't remember much about it. Supposedly they had a good reputation for mixed drinks which I don't do.

I only went after it was Sportsman's Grille. I loved the food but they never seemed to put a dime into keeping it up over the years, which is similar to their still open Highway 70/100 split location. I never understood the mindset that essentially drove off a lot of folks.

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

It was Spats when I was in college here in the early 80's.    It was a regular hangout for Vandy kids, along with Jonesy's, Waxy's and the original Ruby Tuesday on West End (near 440).    Yeah, Spats was lively and loud and known for their Long Island Iced Teas.  

I'm not sure what was in that building before it was Spats.     I think it become something else for a while after Spats closed and before it became Sportsman's Grille, but I could be mistaken about that.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I featured it on Oct. 28, 2016 in the Repurposed Historical Buildings thread.  It was built in 1953, 2 stories, 6,992 sq. ft.  I think it has always been restaurant/bar.  I know it was Sportsman's Grill at least by 1981, because that's when I went there the first time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, markhollin said:

I featured it on Oct. 28, 2016 in the Repurposed Historical Buildings thread.  It was built in 1953, 2 stories, 6,992 sq. ft.  I think it has always been restaurant/bar.  I know it was Sportsman's Grill at least by 1981, because that's when I went there the first time. 

Probably '91, not '81.    I know it was still Spats when I graduated in '85.     

• Like 2

Linden Row (3 stories, 38 townhomes) update.  Portions topped out now.

Looking east from intersection of 21st Ave. South and Linden Ave:

Linden Row, Jan 1, 2020, 1.jpg

Looking NE from 21st Ave. South, 1/2 block north of Beechwood Ave:

Linden Row, Jan 1, 2020, 2.jpg

Looking SW from Linden Ave., 1/4 block east of 21st Ave. South:

Linden Row, Jan 1, 2020, 3.jpg

Looking SE from Linden Ave., 1/4 block east of 21st Ave. South:

Linden Row, Jan 1, 2020, 4.jpg

• Like 2

Roshan Patel of Midtown Hotel Partners (which is also developing the West End Fairfield Inn) has purchased the .4 acre site at 110 20th Ave. North for $3.7 million.  Currently JohnHollis Pharmacy is in the 1 story structure on the site. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21109962/midtown-site-sells-for-37m

110 20th Ave North, Jan 13, 2020, site.png

110 20th Ave North, Jan 13, 2020, site map.png

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 3:30 PM, markhollin said:

Sila Development is purchasing 19 Music Square West (17th Ave. South). This is immediately south of the site where a supposed 19 story residential tower is rumored.  No word on the price paid or exact plans for this sliver site yet.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21109742/developer-looks-to-buy-sobro-music-row-sites

19 Music Square West, Jan 10, 2020, site .png

19 Music Square West, Jan 10, 2020, site map.png

After looking at this further the site also includes the parcel that the high-rise is planned from the group out of DC. We have not heard a peep out of them in a while. 

• Like 1