Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

21 hours ago, titanhog said:

So...you can become "carbon neutral" by procuring your energy from a solar farm that's not on your own campus?  I'm trying to wrap my head around that.

15 hours ago, titanhog said:

You guys keep talking.  That's good info.  I'm learning.  I guess I can see where if you invest in something that creates "clean" energy...that there is an offset, of sorts.

I was able to finally read the article...which stated the project is part of Bredesen's solar company...and it will produce enough megawatts for 70% of Vandy.  I'm not sure exactly what Vandy's participation will be or how they're actually part of the project other than maybe somehow subsidizing it?

So the big thing we all have to remember is there is a difference between carbon offset and sustainable practices such as life-cycle costing through product selection and energy efficiency. There obviously is some form of fiduciary agreement between Vandy and Bredesen's company as there was obviously something that contractually binds the groups. I would say that there is most definitely not a direct line from the solar farm to Vandy, but rather that they agree to "buy" power from TVA's supply that comes from the solar farm. I'm sure TVA can monitor the amount of energy that the farm produces, and can then basically say that Vandy has agreed to purchase that power (even if it doesn't go directly to them). 

While this type of agreement should be applauded as the university is paying money for alternative energy supplies (and mathematically offsetting its carbon footprint as @ruraljuror described), it does not mean that the campus will operate efficiently or at sustainable levels. The only way to truly do that is through commissioning and sustainable design that factors in life-cycle costing "sustainable" selections. LEED/Well/Living Building is the public way to tell everyone that their campus is actually doing it. This agreement really does not factor in to that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/24/2020 at 3:57 PM, Bos2Nash said:

While this type of agreement should be applauded as the university is paying money for alternative energy supplies (and mathematically offsetting its carbon footprint as @ruraljuror described), it does not mean that the campus will operate efficiently or at sustainable levels. The only way to truly do that is through commissioning and sustainable design that factors in life-cycle costing "sustainable" selections. LEED/Well/Living Building is the public way to tell everyone that their campus is actually doing it. This agreement really does not factor in to that.

Very well-put. When I first moved here, I was shocked at how Vanderbilt Medical Center's large buildings largely lacked vestibules or revolving doors at many of the major entrances (and where they exist, the vestibules often open all the doors at once, or the revolving doors are flanked by much larger and easier to operate conventional doors, defeating the purpose). So much climate-controlled air pours out during the summer and winter from the many huge sets of sliding doors that open directly to the outside ... . Granted, new building additions seem to be more aware of issues like this, but there's still a long way to go on the university and medical center campuses.

• Like 4

This has flown under the radar, but Purity Dairies and Country Delight Dairies have declared bankruptcy nationwide, meaning the large plant they have here in Nashville at 1401 Church St. may end up becoming available.  If so, it would be one of the larger sites (4+ acres) bordering the I-40/65 inner loop to become available. 

It covers a full block from Church St. on north to Grundy St. on south, and from 14th Ave. North on east (fronting the freeway) to 15th Ave. North, a toad larger than the Broadwest site.   

Could be an interesting option of the soccer stadium should the fairgrounds deal fall through. Perhaps the facade of the dairy could be maintained as part of the stadium/adjoining development design.

Of course, it could be even more valuable as home to a massive mixed-use project a la  Gulch Union or 5th & Broadway or the aforementioned Broadwest.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/manufacturing/article/21097364/purity-parent-files-for-bankruptcy

The facade along Church St:

Country Delite Dairy, Jan, 2020, site .png

The site takes up the full block (4+ acres) in the center of the frame:

Country Delite Dairy, Jan, 2020, site map 1.png

This screen shot from Smeagolfree's excellent development map shows the 4 acre block site at the center of the frame, just north of the massive Downtown Hyundai, Nashville Subaru, former Jim Reed Chevrolet site (at least 7 acres) that is rumored to be fore sale (which is highlighted in gray):

Country Delite Dairy, Jan, 2020, site map 2.png

• Thanks 2

Just because a company files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy does not mean the dairy is going anywhere. This is a reorganization which they may well survive. They may also sale the facility to another operator as it could be even more expensive to build a new facility .

Now with that being said, it depends on how much they would get for the property it did go on the market. The market around that area may get over saturated with available land if the Reed property goes on the market and it would take a while for that chunk of land to be built out. However another buyer could come in and buy the property and lease it back to the dairy and lease it until they are ready to develop it but it may be a while.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, AsianintheNations said:

Very well-put. When I first moved here, I was shocked at how Vanderbilt Medical Center's large buildings largely lacked vestibules or revolving doors at many of the major entrances (and where they exist, the vestibules often open all the doors at once, or the revolving doors are flanked by much larger and easier to operate conventional doors, defeating the purpose). So much climate-controlled air pours out during the summer and winter from the many huge sets of sliding doors that open directly to the outside ... . Granted, new building additions seem to be more aware of issues like this, but there's still a long way to go on the university and medical center campuses.

It was a state of shock for me as well as I have always known vestibules as a requirement. That being said the energy code has come a long way since many of the Vandy buildings were built and vestibules were not always required in this Climate Zone. Opry Mills is another (albeit angering for some) example of the sliding doors at every entrance with no vestibule. Revolving doors are another thing altogether though. Codes require conventional doors when revolving doors are present for accessibility purposes. Revolving doors are a work around from vestibules because of the constant pedestrian flow with minimal air transfer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Revolving doors are another thing altogether though. Codes require conventional doors when revolving doors are present for accessibility purposes. Revolving doors are a work around from vestibules because of the constant pedestrian flow with minimal air transfer.

Yeah, especially for a hospital, there obviously has to be a convenient, accessible entrance. But say at the front entrance of Mass General Hospital where I trained previously, there were huge revolving doors that all the staff used, and an automatic conventional door entrance (with a mini vestibule) that was clearly marked as being for accessibility purposes, and typically only wheelchair-bound patients or patients using assistive devices used it.

As for Opry Mills ... oh boy (and not relevant to this thread so I won't continue)

11 hours ago, markhollin said:

Vandy pays $5 million for the .6 acre Wendy's site at 2603 West End Ave. With the purchase, the university now controls 7.07 acres of contiguous property bordered by Natchez Trace on the east, West End on the north, 28th on the west and Vanderbilt Place on the south.

Had no idea that little sliver would be worth that much! Interested to see what Vandy has in mind for it. The Wendy's was great for a sad late-night dinner but definitely excited to see something that is more worthy of facing the front entrance of Centennial Park than a fast food parking lot that I suspect most people use as a way to make a technically slightly more kosher left turn from Natchez Trace.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, markhollin said:

This has flown under the radar, but Purity Dairies and Country Delight Dairies have declared bankruptcy nationwide, meaning the large plant they have here in Nashville at 1401 Church St. may end up becoming available.  If so, it would be one of the larger sites (4+ acres) bordering the I-40/65 inner loop to become available. 

Dean Foods, which owns Purity, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in November. Boren also filed for bankruptcy in January. The reasons are alternative products (soy/almond milk), rising raw milk prices, and (#1) Wal-Mart has started producing its own milk. Locally, Purity was hurt by the arrival of Blue Bell and the lack of brand loyalty here. The dairy co-op will buy some/all of what is Purity today, which will likely include the downtown location

There are local rumors as to what will happen, but no consensus 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2020 at 3:51 PM, nashvylle said:

@markhollin could a Major League Soccer stadium even fit on this site?

Probably not.  Here's the site for Audi Field where the DC Soccer franchise plays.  The proposed stadium for the Nashville Soccer franchise is 10K seats larger than Audi Field.  Compare it to the site you're asking about.  I tried to size the google maps the same in terms of the streets, etc..

image.thumb.png.2f4e51f751a8cda46daf3021cbf5ed76.pngimage.png.8049b125f5c6b20ba3dc9f1c77ab26d6.png 

Edited by PillowTalk4
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good move. Here's a recap of the status of many of the university project given last November. Unfortunately, the Graduate Housing Village doesn't look any better... but it is what it is... looks like a cheap little sibling to Sarratt... contemporary... but brick. At least they've got the brick going for it.   https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2019/12/11/wente-kopstain-provide-capital-projects-update-at-campus-meeting/

3 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Good move. Here's a recap of the status of many of the university project given last November. Unfortunately, the Graduate Housing Village doesn't look any better... but it is what it is... looks like a cheap little sibling to Sarratt... contemporary... but brick. At least they've got the brick going for it.   https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2019/12/11/wente-kopstain-provide-capital-projects-update-at-campus-meeting/

Really, really ugly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donNdonelson2 said:

The caption does still say “conceptual rendering” so maybe the actual final rendering will be better.

I don’t love or hate it, but don’t expect significant changes. There will be helpful retail for the neighborhood.

I think phase two will be more popular visually.

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

I like the look of that Graduate Village personally.  I'm not really sure why it is getting such negative marks from some folks.  

It's OK but I wish they would build it on the parking lot that borders 21st  Ave and Terrace Place.

Vanderbilt needs to get serious about its parking and built environment issues. To that end they should have taken over the Scarritt Bennett Center and moved the Divinity School there-that would free up some space on the Main Campus to build some below grade parking with a transit center on top for the Vandy Vans.

Also another big help would be to build a new VA Hospital in the medical center area bordered by Charlotte Ave,21st Ave, and State Street which would give Vandy a huge amount of space for more parking, transit center and perhaps some high rises for students, the medical center, etc.

I've said this before, Vandy needs to start building up and not out. In my opinion the Carmichael Towers should have been replaced with 6 20 story towers that would have been residential and academic with study halls, classrooms and cafeterias.

Edited by bnacincy
spelling
  • Thanks 1