Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

5 minutes ago, bnacincy said:

It's OK but I wish they would build it on the parking lot that borders 21st  Ave and Terrace Place.

Vanderbilt needs to get serious about its parking and built environment issues. To that end they should have taken over the Scarritt Bennett Center and moved the Divinity School there-that would free up some space on the Main Campus to build some below grade parking with a transit center on top for the Vandy Vans.

Also another big help would be to build a new VA Hospital in the medical center area bordered by Charlotte Ave,21st Ave, and State Street which would give Vandy a huge amount of space for more parking, transit center and perhaps some high rises for students, the medical center, etc.

I've said this before, Vandy needs to start building up and not out. In my opinion the Carmichael Towers should have been replaced with 6 20 story towers that would have been residential and academic with study halls, classrooms and cafeterias.

I was just speaking strictly from an architectural standpoint... but I definitely agree with you about all of the above.  I've thought for years that the Vanderbilt campus should be more seamlessly integrated into the surrounding neighborhoods.  They seem to like their fortress style inward facing design and maintaining a 'moat' of parking lots around that separate it.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2020 at 11:38 AM, BnaBreaker said:

Also another big help would be to build a new VA Hospital in the medical center area bordered by Charlotte Ave,21st Ave, and State Street which would give Vandy a huge amount of space for more parking, transit center and perhaps some high rises for students, the medical center, etc.

Vandy wants the VA out of the middle of campus and has tried to lobby for this for YEARS. Even when Bill Frist was Senate Majority Leader, they couldn't get it done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NashWellington11 said:

Vandy wants the VA out of the middle of campus and has tried to lobby for this for YEARS. Even when Bill Frist was Senate Majority Leader, they couldn't get it done. 

If Vanderbilt wants to pay to build a new VA Hospital, then it could happen. Expecting taxpayers to relocate the VA for a private university seems a non-starter. 

My dad worked at the VA in the 80's and taught part time at Vandy. He loved the proximity.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

If Vanderbilt wants to pay to build a new VA Hospital, then it could happen. Expecting taxpayers to relocate the VA for a private university seems a non-starter. 

My dad worked at the VA in the 80's and taught part time at Vandy. He loved the proximity.

From my understanding, the idea of Vandy paying for a brand new VA located elsewhere was floated and still it was a no go. Vandy never asked the taxpayers for anything.

51 minutes ago, NashWellington11 said:

From my understanding, the idea of Vandy paying for a brand new VA located elsewhere was floated and still it was a no go. Vandy never asked the taxpayers for anything.

So was Vanderbilt not asking the VA (the taxpayers) to build a hospital elsewhere so that they would have access to the property where the current hospital stands?  But “even with Bill Frist as the Senate Majority Leader, they couldn’t get it done.” That surely sounds like asking the taxpayers for something.

• Like 1

The VA is not the responsibility of Vanderbilt as far as building a new hospital. It would be 100% federal money.  The do offer doctors  from the university and there is an agreement but the Feds reimburse Vandy for services rendered I am sure. Vandy would not do it for free.

The VA system is a mess and the best thing that could happen id for the feds to scrap the entire systems and the Vets choose where they want to go and give them a card like a Medicare card would work and toe Govt. would reimburse the hospitals.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

So was Vanderbilt not asking the VA (the taxpayers) to build a hospital elsewhere so that they would have access to the property where the current hospital stands?  But “even with Bill Frist as the Senate Majority Leader, they couldn’t get it done.” That surely sounds like asking the taxpayers for something.

ZERO ask for taxpayer money. It was a political will/priority thing.

Here's a (completely made up) transcript to try to break it down for you: 

• Vandy: "Hey, if we were willing to build a brand new VA hospital somewhere NOT in the middle of our campus just to get it out of our way for our long-term planning, would that be something the VA would be interested in or willing to do?"
  • Fed Gov't: "No. We have other priorities right now, the VA is happy with its current Nashville location and our facilities do not need to be replaced right now."
  • Vandy: "Ok. Cool."
Edited by NashWellington11
Clarity

11 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I am absolutely NOT familiar with any of these purported discussions/desires to move the VA. However, keep in mind that if Nashville had a more influential representative in Congress, these issues would be more possible. Nashville is being underserved right now. 

My original post was literally just to let @BnaBreaker know that his suggestion re: relocating the VA is an idea Vandy has floated in the past.  Nothing more. Debates about hypothetical tax dollars that were never asked for nor offered to Vandy are irrelevant. I certainly don't know how this then devolved into bashing Jim Cooper. Let's keep the political talk to the coffee house.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NashWellington11 said:

My original post was literally just to let @BnaBreaker know that his suggestion re: relocating the VA is an idea Vandy has floated in the past.  Nothing more. Debates about hypothetical tax dollars that were never asked for nor offered to Vandy are irrelevant. I certainly don't know how this then devolved into bashing Jim Cooper. Let's keep the political talk to the coffee house.

I appreciate the thought, but just fyi the bit you quoted was actually @bnacincy said.  :)

• Like 2

I remember even in my father’s time at the VA (80’s), Vandy wanted the land. One reason, back then for the opposition was that the options to move were essentially out of the county. The VA thought it was important not to move reasoning it would be too hard for the far flung vets to find a new location.  Not great reasoning perhaps considering the hospital was pretty run down at the time, but I do remember it. 

Edited by Nash_12South

The VA is not the responsibility of Vanderbilt as far as building a new hospital. It would be 100% federal money.  The do offer doctors  from the university and there is an agreement but the Feds reimburse Vandy for services rendered I am sure. Vandy would not do it for free. The VA system is a mess and the best thing that could happen id for the feds to scrap the entire systems and the Vets choose where they want to go and give them a card like a Medicare card would work and toe Govt. would reimburse the hospitals.

This is an easy critique to lob at the VA from the outside without deep knowledge of how the VA works or

its outcomes. In fact, the VA system has better outcomes for their patients based on statistical data as compared to community hospitals. The VA mission, its benefits for veterans, and its many successes are underreported in the press.

The argument that it should be scrapped in favor of vouchers to be paid to community hospitals fits with a particular ideological pre-disposition ... But it isn’t supported by the data or anything close to an honest and objective analysis.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

My brothers and many of my friends have horror stories of how the VA works. Sub standard doctors, lost records, conflicting medications, refusal to do surgeries, etc. Both of my brothers have had many issues and one of my brothers worked in a VA hospital and saw first hand what some of these doctors were doing.

Not all of the hospitals are bad but the vast majority are. My oldest brother now goes to his personal physician after he was flat out lied to on multiple occasions. They lost his records multiple times as well. My other brother almost died because the doctors were giving him meds that outright conflicted with each other. A friend of mine this week took his father out of the VA at Vanderbilt because they lied to him and told him something that was not true. He is now at St Thomas where he is getting better health care. 

The VA is a disaster, that is why I choose not to go.

• Like 3

Work is finally getting underway for Greenery Co, a new eatery at 1705 21st Ave. South in the one-time home of Provence Bakery. The build out permit is valued at $1.4 million. Powell Architecture + Building Studio has handling the design and construction.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/21115405/tiny-chocolate-maker-opens-on-south-side

• Like 4