Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

So (drum roll) the huge, new, improved, denser development to replace the Mrs. Winners on West End will be... (ta-da!)... an AT&T store!  Wow!  What a huge sad disappointment for such a prominent corner.  Henry Menge of XMi R/E even admits it is a suboptimal replacement.. but he went for the "bird in the hand", obviously unable to finance a building that would suit that corner.  I'm sure it will have a beautiful large parking lot in front too. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2012/12/19/new-att-store-coming-to-west-end-ave.html

• Like 1

I agree it is short-sighted. The developer must not have deep pockets and wanted to cash flow early in the process. Situations like these beg for partnerships to be formed but as always the adage applies,  the bigger risk ... the bigger reward.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="MLBrumby" data-cid="1248742" data-time="1355943058"><p><br />

So (drum roll) the huge, new, improved, denser development to replace the Mrs. Winners on West End will be... (ta-da!)... an AT&T store! I'm sure it will have a beautiful large parking lot in front too. <br /><br />

<br /><br />

<a href='<a href='http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2012/12/19/new-att-store-coming-to-west-end-ave.html'>http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2012/12/19/new-att-store-coming-to-west-end-ave.html</a>'><a href='http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2012/12/19/new-att-store-coming-to-west-end-ave.html'>http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2012/12/19/new-att-store-coming-to-west-end-ave.html</a></a></p></blockquote><br />

<br />

Isn't this parcel in the urban overlay that will require the building to front the street? I could be wrong.

Edit; what's with the quotes on the mobile version of UP lately? They look very sloppy when displayed.

Edited by nashvillwill

Good God, Why dont we just bring back a closed Mrs Winners. A BIG BIG dissapointment. It should be against zoning for a single story building to be built on this road now.

To say I am PO'ed is a huge understatement. Could be a much better use of real estate. XMi needs to sell all their properties to someone who gives a crap.

Edit; what's with the quotes on the mobile version of UP lately? They look very sloppy when displayed.

Okay, try hitting the button at the top left of the post box. It flips the code on and off, and you can see the quotes and highlight or cut out whatever you need -- or make sure your quote boxes are properly closed. It's harder to see under the new format. That helped me out a lot. You can switch it back on when you want to use the easy buttons for bold, italics, font, size, color, smileys, etc.

There. Finally.

As for the building. I hope it burns. Not only because it's a one story disgrace to a very prominent street in Nashville, but because AT&T sucks. I'd be happier with a tree-lined or landscaped surface parking lot than that.

*Of course I don't want anyone inside when said building burns. And I am not advocating arson. Perhaps divine intervention. A well-placed lightning strike or something.

Edited by UTgrad09

Wow, the developer should be absolutely ashamed and embarrassed.  That's freaking ridiculous.  I know not every project can be a mega project, nor should it be, but on such a prominent corner of a prominent street you have to at least hope for a two story building.  This is just nothing short of stupid.

Wow, the developer should be absolutely ashamed and embarrassed.  That's freaking ridiculous.  I know not every project can be a mega project, nor should it be, but on such a prominent corner of a prominent street you have to at least hope for a two story building.  This is just nothing short of stupid.

Agreed. Not everything has to be massive...but honestly, I think the minimum should be 3 stories on West End Ave. It doesn't even sound like a "passable" 1 story design, such as the strip with the TGI Fridays, Jason's, and Five Guys (which fronts the street well and has rear parking).

I'm not happy about this...I'll be even less happy if even a square foot of West End Ave isn't fromted by it, right up to the sidewalk (for instance, like other short structures -- Amerigo and the current Renasant Bank).

Agreed. Not everything has to be massive...but honestly, I think the minimum should be 3 stories on West End Ave. It doesn't even sound like a "passable" 1 story design, such as the strip with the TGI Fridays, Jason's, and Five Guys (which fronts the street well and has rear parking).

I'm not happy about this...I'll be even less happy if even a square foot of West End Ave isn't fromted by it, right up to the sidewalk (for instance, like other short structures -- Amerigo and the current Renasant Bank).

Exactly.  Couldn't have said it better myself. 

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="timmay143" data-cid="1248862" data-time="1356014141"><p>

Ouch, that sucks. There should really be a ban on this type of stuff for the area/street. Like the TGIF's strip is also a huge miss. It's decent, but imagine a few stories (at least) above it!</p></blockquote>

I'm actually ok with the TGIF development at 21st&W.End. It fronts the street on all sides. It put the parking underground with the entrance from the alley (like it should be) and it has multiple retail spaces. I agree with you that it would be better with 2-3 floors of commercial/residential above, but if the developer doesn't want to maximize their investment, than that's their loss. I would have like to see them add enough space for sidewalk seating, but W. End may not be the most pleasant place for that.

More of that would be very welcome IMO.

Edited by nashvillwill

On another front, it looks as if the double hotel project on the corner of 18th and West End may be about ready to start. There was electrical work being done this week, all the cars are gone and there was a general contractor truck on site earlier today. All indication is this is going to start very soon now.

Large track hoe is on site at the Residence/Spring Hill Suites project. Looks as if the project is going to be underway very very soon if not already now.

With this starting along with WES, the Buckinham projects in 2 nd quarter or 13, Faison Project, Ray hensler tower, and the Fairfield Inn and Suites, we should have about 8 or 9 towers cranes in the area in about 6 months.

• Like 2

Large track hoe is on site at the Residence/Spring Hill Suites project. Looks as if the project is going to be underway very very soon if not already now.

With this starting along with WES, the Buckinham projects in 2 nd quarter or 13, Faison Project, Ray hensler tower, and the Fairfield Inn and Suites, we should have about 8 or 9 towers cranes in the area in about 6 months.

Don't forget about the AT&T store!

• Like 1