Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

I do not know for sure, but it sure is a coincidence that the owner of the building is not renewing the lease. I think they are connected. The same owner owns the Emmas building but a different owner has the building close to West End. If Emmas announces they are closing or moving, then something is really up.

Lets just say its a strong hunch on my part.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, dmillsphoto said:

Can't say I am surprised given how the music industry has been decimated thanks to Covid, however seeing Exit/In jeopardized like this is, especially after Rotier's closing, truly depressing.

https://tennesseelookout.com/2021/02/15/exit-in-property-listed-for-sale/

It is sad but I'm going to assume there will be more. A year without any revenue for an entertainment venue and now a pretty big property tax hike hitting. It is a hole that is nearly impossible to crawl out of.

2 hours ago, dmillsphoto said:

Can't say I am surprised given how the music industry has been decimated thanks to Covid, however seeing Exit/In jeopardized like this is, especially after Rotier's closing, truly depressing.

https://tennesseelookout.com/2021/02/15/exit-in-property-listed-for-sale/

The world has changed a lot over the last few years…and even more this past year, for the music industry.  Music Row is being overrun with developments that are swallowing up small publishing companies.  Music venues are disappearing, like The Rutledge…12th & Porter…and now maybe Exit/In. 

More about Exit/In and Hurry Back Bar sale at The Scene here:

https://www.nashvillescene.com/music/nashville-cream/article/21146026/exitin-property-listed-for-sale

And behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21146029/exitin-building-offered-for-sale

Exit/In owner Chris Cobb says that he and wife, Telisha, are devising a plan to buy it themselves. They’re working with development firm Grubb Properties, which has launched a program called the Live Venue Recovery Fund to help business owners in the venue world own the property their clubs stand on.

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 1.21.23 PM.png

• Like 4

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

Exit/In owner Chris Cobb says that he and wife, Telisha, are devising a plan to buy it themselves. They’re working with development firm Grubb Properties, which has launched a program called the Live Venue Recovery Fund to help business owners in the venue world own the property their clubs stand on.

Is it promising that Chris Cobb has a chance of buying the properties, or will a potential developer price him out?

I am sure this question has been answered on this board before, but why can't Nashville council just designate certain properties as historic and therefore can't be bought and redeveloped? If Rotier's or Exit/In closes, another venue can come in, but just simply buying it and putting a hilton on it just seems terrible for any city. 

Smeagols or mark,

I have seen no work at big lot at corner of long and 31st(odyssey). I get the feeling the allure of owning a STR may be holding this project back, imo this location is perfect for condos/apartments with a small retail/restaurant component. Hopefully that instead comes to fruition

Edited by samsonh

13 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I am sure this question has been answered on this board before, but why can't Nashville council just designate certain properties as historic and therefore can't be bought and redeveloped? If Rotier's or Exit/In closes, another venue can come in, but just simply buying it and putting a hilton on it just seems terrible for any city. 

Part of the problem you see in other cities that have done this is that it locks the owners/operators into a business model that is or may become no longer financially viable. Movie theaters (the movie palace type, not newer multiplexes) were a common example of this previously, but in a world where government lockdowns are on the table it's difficult to estimate the long-term impact to the viability of businesses like Rotier's or Exit/In as well. If the owner of either finds themselves in a position where they (or anyone else) can't profitably operate their business, but Metro has decreed that they can't sell to a developer or otherwise change the nature of the property, what's their way out?

Another question is to what extent the business and property are connected. Exit/In is a historically important business, in a historically important general location (the Rock Block), but the property itself is not particularly notable, other than to be able to say that X artist performed at this specific location (The Row a few blocks away on Lyle Avenue takes advantage of this). In other words, would it be acceptable if Exit/In moved to a larger, more modern venue next door (like the Elliston Place Soda Shop)? Or if they moved to East Nashville? Or would it be acceptable if the Exit/In closed and Prune Tracy's House of Polka opened up in the same building, providing a quirky venue for underground polka artists and some established polka superstars to perform in an intimate setting? Don't laugh, it's coming back.

36 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

Another question is to what extent the business and property are connected. Exit/In is a historically important business, in a historically important general location (the Rock Block), but the property itself is not particularly notable, other than to be able to say that X artist performed at this specific location (The Row a few blocks away on Lyle Avenue takes advantage of this). In other words, would it be acceptable if Exit/In moved to a larger, more modern venue next door (like the Elliston Place Soda Shop)? Or if they moved to East Nashville? Or would it be acceptable if the Exit/In closed and Prune Tracy's House of Polka opened up in the same building, providing a quirky venue for underground polka artists and some established polka superstars to perform in an intimate setting? Don't laugh, it's coming back.

I understand you have to make money in the world to survive, but there is a fine line between making money and then just selling because one offer came and then history is lost forever. But once something the citizens of a city realize has become part of the city's fabric, I think Metro should protect it via zoning measures. As an extreme example, the owners of Tootsie's shouldnt be able to sell to a developer wanting to build a Red Roof Inn, despite how much he offered for their space.   

If Exit/In wanting to expand / move to a bigger place is completely a risk to them, because they might lose a ton of customers who don't like a new space with no history. 

35 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

I understand you have to make money in the world to survive, but there is a fine line between making money and then just selling because one offer came and then history is lost forever. But once something the citizens of a city realize has become part of the city's fabric, I think Metro should protect it via zoning measures. As an extreme example, the owners of Tootsie's shouldnt be able to sell to a developer wanting to build a Red Roof Inn, despite how much he offered for their space.   

If Exit/In wanting to expand / move to a bigger place is completely a risk to them, because they might lose a ton of customers who don't like a new space with no history. 

If you were the owner of any given property, and a developer came to you and offered a very generous amount of money. One that can set you up for life, you probably will take the cash cow! 
history is just that, only benefits those who have memories of it in the past. If we try to save everything from the past , just because there’s memories.. we as a society would never move forward. I have many places from my past, that I would like to have been around forever. But they are gone now, replaced by new structures that are making new memories for a new generation, time marches on. And yes , if the owners of Tooties wanted to sell to developers for a red roof inn  that’s their right . They don’t need to answer to anyone, just because you have fond memories of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

If you were the owner of any given property, and a developer came to you and offered a very generous amount of money. One that can set you up for life, you probably will take the cash cow! 
history is just that, only benefits those who have memories of it in the past. If we try to save everything from the past , just because there’s memories.. we as a society would never move forward. I have many places from my past, that I would like to have been around forever. But they are gone now, replaced by new structures that are making new memories for a new generation, time marches on. And yes , if the owners of Tooties wanted to sell to developers for a red roof inn  that’s their right . They don’t need to answer to anyone, just because you have fond memories of it.

Im not advocating to save everything from the past, just because some may have memories. 

I'm advocating for a process where Nashvillians can petition for certain areas of the city to exclude certain developments (just like residential neighborhoods exclude certain developments). 

Right now I can't sell my house to developers wanting to build skyscrapers, multifamily or hotels because of zoning limitations. I can still sell it to someone wanting to own it or build a new house, and I can still make money. 

If a petition reach a certain threshold to maintain a certain contextual nature of a district, let's allow the city to adjust the zoning laws. 

• Like 1