Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

True that^

I believe there was a 4 (or 5) story office building at that location which was demolished sometime in the past 10 years. As an office building it had to be around 45-50' tall and was set back from 21st with a hideous parking lot IIRC.  A turnlane and traffic light are the TWO MOST NECESSARY things for any development at that corner. In fact, I'd like to see it studied to reduce each direction to one thru-lane with bike lanes and right/left turn lanes where appropriate along that very narrow strip of 21st between I-440 and Magnolia. 

• Like 2

I'm on the HWEN board (obviously not commenting in that capacity here) and there seems to be strong opposition to this project. Primary concerns revolve around parking, traffic, density/massing, and stormwater. This plan represents a revision from one we saw last year and this is reflected in the step back in height on the back side of the property and the 10 fewer units from the initial proposal. Many seem to be concerned that the property is currently zoned for no more than 30 units so 180 seems like a huge jump, but there is evidence this spot can handle this development imo. The proposed traffic signal would just be a pedestrian crossing, not a full traffic light. I'm confident this will undergo several more revisions before it begins the zoning process with Metro. This certainly seems like a more thoughtful treatment of the lot than existing buildings between Blair and 440. Many in the neighborhood want expanded affordable housing options; that might be something the developers could use in their favor working towards a compromise.

Edited by uberkarnie
clarity
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, uberkarnie said:

I'm on the HWEN board (obviously not commenting in that capacity here) and there seems to be strong opposition to this project. Primary concerns revolve around parking, traffic, density/massing, and stormwater. This plan represents a revision from one we saw last year and this is reflected in the step back in height on the back side of the property and the 10 fewer units from the initial proposal. Many seem to be concerned that the property is currently zoned for no more than 30 units so 180 seems like a huge jump, but there is evidence this spot can handle this development imo. The proposed traffic signal would just be a pedestrian crossing, not a full traffic light. I'm confident this will undergo several more revisions before it begins the zoning process with Metro. This certainly seems like a more thoughtful treatment of the lot than existing buildings between Blair and 440. Many in the neighborhood want expanded affordable housing options; that might be something the developers could use in their favor working towards a compromise.

Thanks Uber!

The planning commission listens to neighbors. This is why it is so important to go to meetings if you can if you live near a project and speak. Emails are great, but actually being there and speaking is best. Plus you’ll most likely get to meet the people behind the project.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, markhollin said:

Some more details on the 2 story office building to be built at 2409 21st Ave. South that was announced last November: It will encompass 17,500 sq. ft. and its only tenant will be BluePearl Veterinary Hospital. Elmington Capital Group is the developer. Southeast Venture  is handling architecture and land-planning.  A rendering is now available.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21146332/pet-hospital-planned-for-future-villagearea-building

2409 21st Ave South, Nov 4, 2020, render.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

2409 21st Ave South, Nov 4, 2020, site map.png

The proposed structure is "cute", but it only perpetuates that suburban-like stretch between the fire station and I-440.

Worse than that though, for over 40 years the city and the state have failed to address the "constricted artery" effect along that course.  With constrained roadway width, it's far too narrow to configure a center turn lane, as was able to be done I believe during the Dean administration, on the section of the same thoroughfare (Hillsboro Pk), just south of I-440 between Lombardy/Sharondale and Crestmoor.  Allowing full-time left turns ─ especially during rush (which could be ANYtime during a given day) ─ only exacerbates the bad situation.  I've long gotten so  I avoid that section of 21st at any cost, just to eliminate the aggravation of someone turning left, which even disrupt the flow in the curbside lanes.

Just my rant, but I just can't really look forward to redev south of Blair, unless that issue finally gets nipped in the bud, which likely never will happen.

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 4