Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

This article is referring to the TEAM building at Vanderbilt. I found info on one of the Metro agendas and sent to WW. This should be a considerable sized building and groundbreaking is set for next Summer. Vanderbilt was asking Metro for a variance and I think it may have been height but cant remember. I will update when I know for sure. Article is behind pay wall but will open at some point.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2013/10/15/vanderbilt_to_redesign_planned_engineering_research_building

I think good news as well. Aquinas is a higher profile academic institution that already has a solid presence in Nashville and will utilize this prime location to a much greater extent than the former owners. That college always seemed a bit out of place there, even before "It City" status. I would like to see the day that NADC moves to another location and something more "city" appropriate moved in. I'm sure it will take a lot more years of improvement and rising commercial real estate values on the Gallatin Road sector to make this attractive to NADC, but if any learning institution is suburb appropriate, I would think a diesel/mechanic school is.          

I have to disagree a little bit about NADC. NADC actually did a detailed neighborhood design back in 2005 that is on the Planning website http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Planning/docs/urban/Institutional%20Overlays/NADC.pdf. That design would go a long way toward improving the street grid and making some bike and greenway connections. The plan also called for improvements to the educational buildings so that no more 1960s galley-style dormitories would be built away from the street like the unfortunate example along Douglas. This plan doesn't include the renderings, but NADC proposed buying up a lot of the trashy commercial spaces along Gallatin, including the MAC's Market at Douglas, and replacing them with 3-4-story, mixed use buildings with classrooms, retail, and dormitories above. The buildings proposed for the intersections of Gallatin and Douglas were even to include turrets to would address the corners.

Now, very little of that has yet transpired. But at least NADC has urban design in mind.

I also disagree that the school's trade focus doesn't belong in the city. In fact, NADC is a fairly expensive school, but it provides job training to a lot of young men and women that will keep them employed for their entire lives making more than I do with a traditional Bachelors degree. Why shouldn't that be located in the city?

I think good news as well. Aquinas is a higher profile academic institution that already has a solid presence in Nashville and will utilize this prime location to a much greater extent than the former owners. That college always seemed a bit out of place there, even before "It City" status. I would like to see the day that NADC moves to another location and something more "city" appropriate moved in. I'm sure it will take a lot more years of improvement and rising commercial real estate values on the Gallatin Road sector to make this attractive to NADC, but if any learning institution is suburb appropriate, I would think a diesel/mechanic school is.          

I posted this in the restaurants thread too.  

New steak restaurant in Midtown... Union Common at the convergence of Broadway, 21st, and Division, where Hill development is rehabbing the block... across from the site of the proposed Buckingham Development.   From the Tennessean:  http://www.tennessean.com/article/20131018/BUSINESS01/310180102

Rendering...  http://cmsimg.tennessean.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DN&Date=20131018&Category=BUSINESS01&ArtNo=310180102&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&New-steakhouse-Union-Common-planned-Midtown-retail-space-Nashville

I posted this in the restaurants thread too.  

New steak restaurant in Midtown... Union Common at the convergence of Broadway, 21st, and Division, where Hill development is rehabbing the block... across from the site of the proposed Buckingham Development.   From the Tennessean:  http://www.tennessean.com/article/20131018/BUSINESS01/310180102

Rendering...  http://cmsimg.tennessean.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DN&Date=20131018&Category=BUSINESS01&ArtNo=310180102&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&New-steakhouse-Union-Common-planned-Midtown-retail-space-Nashville

Interesting; in August they announced that it would be a Doc Crow's:

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

This may be old news but a restaurant out of Louisville will occupy the triangle part of the Hills (former 'Great Escape') delevopment across from teh Corner Pub.

Doc Crow’s Southern Smokehouse and Raw Bar Restaurant

http://doccrows.com

but now, they've changed the concept, and delayed the opening to May.  Looking at the work being done on the building, it should be ready well before then.  So I wonder . . . .

I like the way the Hill building footprint will be extended all the way to the cut through lane between Division and Broad. Not sure if the little grassy median survives the Buckingham traffic redesign or what but this 4-way intersection could end up being much improved aesthetically.

Yes, the Hill building looks even better than the rendering, and since it's right outside my window, I appreciate that.  I just hope that the lighting, especially on the "art deco" tower will not detract from what is now a very appealing development. 

As for "Broadway Park", according to the last rendering that I saw, it was to be incorporated into the hotel portion of the Buckingham development as a "drop-off" area.

• 2 weeks later...

Permit issued for Giarratana's Midtown apartment project

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/10/permit-issued-for-giarratanas-midtown.html

Building permits totaling more than $19 million have been issued for Tony Giarratana's apartment project at 2110 Elliston Place.

The 105-unit property, co-developed by Giarratana and Chicago-based LaSalle Investment Management, is known as 21 Elliston, according to the permits.

Included among the permits is one valued at $4.3 million to construct a 148-space parking garage.

Construction work is being led by R.G. Anderson Co.

736685_l.jpg

• Like 1

"Tony Giarratana's apartment project at 2110 Elliston Place......is known as 21 Elliston, according to the permits."

Why can't developers just name a building after it's address? This is simply confusing.

"Where do you live?"

"21 Elliston"

"On my way"

-hours later-

"I can't find your place, what's the address again?"

"2110 Elliston"

• Like 1

Well, despite the name, I think it's a grand use of the space. As a former resident of the rock block, I'm glad to see a more urban use of this corner.

I do however hope we aren't seeing the beginning of the end of the grit on Elliston. The Mayfair was a tragic loss. I would be an avid supporter of a historic overlay going into this district.

• Like 1

Well, despite the name, I think it's a grand use of the space. As a former resident of the rock block, I'm glad to see a more urban use of this corner.

I do however hope we aren't seeing the beginning of the end of the grit on Elliston. The Mayfair was a tragic loss. I would be an avid supporter of a historic overlay going into this district.

Many people would agree with you about the Conservation Overlay on Ellison.  Unfortunately, when asked recently, the majority of the owners of the historic properties in that area opposed the historic protections for their properties :( 

Your detective work is very good. Stonehenge has yet to purchase the property and this is in the early planning stages. I have known about this for a while but did not know there was a rendering. They were not ready to talk to the media a month ago when I found the project.

This will be on 29th across from Parthenon tower.

• 2 weeks later...