Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

Agreed... it could be much worse.  This one is essentially a garden apartment complex stacked and turned outward... and fortunately abutting the street.  The attempts to look "neo-classical" aside, they deserve props for putting the parking inside.  Plus, it fits the evolution of that neighborhood.  As is the case with most of these things, building materials and construction quality will make all the difference between "hit" or "miss".  Contrast this building to the suburban hi-rise eyesore across the street, and perhaps you can see some reason to be optimistic about the direction of apartment design over the past several decades.  That Parthenon Tower is nothing more than a vertical ghetto.

Also, that corner entrance reminded me of West End Park.  Is that project started yet? 

No it has not started yet. They still need to demolish the houses that are in the location.

Another mystery is why the Westmont apartments have not started. They did the demo. Maybe they are having problems with financing. I just wonder how many projects are going to have trouble getting financing????

I don't understand the logic of the permitting process:  the building on this site was demolished months ago; the foundation dug a couple of months ago, and there has been a crane on site for the last week or so.  I understand the need to do inspections as the project progresses, but permits piecemeal?

Does anyone know why all the parking around Demonbruen restaurant strip is $10? As far as I'm concerned anything above $5 is event parking and dinner isn't an event.

Well, dinner can be an event...but I agree with you. $10 will drive off business. Parking as an issue has been discussed ad nauseam, but I think the price point is probably $5 or less for anything outside of the entertainment district downtown for 1-2 hours of usage. 

Supply and demand is the simple and obvious and only answer

I personally don't think demand will be all that high @ $10. I could be wrong...but people in this city aren't used to paying that kind of money outside of event & work parking. Why go there when you can go somewhere else for $5 or even free? $10 is an entree, or a couple of drinks.

Well I was shocked just leaving the library lot least night. 7.00 for 3 hours. I didn't realize they went up on rates. Use to be 5 for 24 hours.

I think it is happening everywhere. All of the lots are being developed which is what we want, but that is the price, thus the great need for viable mass transit.

Grrrr... just hit a nerve.  I've said it again and again... So I repeat: Nashville needs light rail (or even a trolley if that's all the city can afford now) to go down Church Street and link Market Street, Core and the residential buildings going up along Ellston Place/Medical Center/Vandy.

Grrrr... just hit a nerve.  I've said it again and again... So I repeat: Nashville needs light rail (or even a trolley if that's all the city can afford now) to go down Church Street and link Market Street, Core and the residential buildings going up along Ellston Place/Medical Center/Vandy.

Funny, just yesterday I was looking west from my 27th floor window downtown and thought the same thing.   Church St. seems like the better Amp route, even though it has to converge with West End from 25th westward.   But I realize that train has left the station, so to speak. 

• Like 1

For now we have the greenline/blueline etc circulator buses that do that for free admission.  Yet I don't know how much they are actually used.  When those buses are full, then the city can entertain the idea of a trolley.  But we all know how well the dedicated lanes argument would go over in Nashville.  Church Street was only recently converted back into a 2-way street! 

• Like 1

A route up Church probably wouldn't have run into the opposition that the Amp is seeing.  That merge with West End could have been avoided by turning at 21st and circling back up Hayes and rejoin the line on Church closer toward town. Future growth could have enabled the trolley to go toward West End and then turn at 25th.. through the Vandy campus (they are still city straights).   Oh well, dare to dream.

Edited by MLBrumby

For now we have the greenline/blueline etc circulator buses that do that for free admission.  Yet I don't know how much they are actually used.  When those buses are full, then the city can entertain the idea of a trolley.  But we all know how well the dedicated lanes argument would go over in Nashville.  Church Street was only recently converted back into a 2-way street! 

Yes... apparently, anything would need to be scaled up.  The AMP looks good on paper...but (opposition notwithstanding) West End is simply too wide for any rail transit... and the volume of traffic is staggering to introduce another mode of transport.  Yes, I hear the advocates say that mass transit would "take many cars off the road", but with the amount of undeveloped (parking) lots along WE... the cars would not decline in number, but rather be compounded with new residential that would be expected along the transit line(s).  Just a theory, but I keep wondering how the consultants seems so unanimous about West End being the initial line.  Yes, I do agree it should serve Midtown, just not down West End.

And how do you propose paying the $500m price tag associated with this project? MTA is having a hard enough time convincing the public of spending $175m on the AMP.

• Like 1