Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

Hey guys - first time posting but I've been following along for awhile now.

I frequent Bricktops across the street quite often, and the bartenders have been hearing that it's going to be a mattress store. If that's true, that's going to be a terrible waste of space. One of them said that the kitchen had been taken out, so they didn't think it would be a restaurant.

If it's a mattress store, I hope it's not one of the tacky ones that has the blow-up advertising thingys out front, all kinds of tacky banners, bright led lights in the windows, and flying thingys on the roof. We have enough of those places!

Mattress sales are pretty competitive so I'm sure they will have some kind of tacky advertising.

The electronic Express store would make a great brewery/tap room, with a large outdoor patio.

I'm a little 'bleh' about the Phoenix project between 16th and 17th a block off the roundabout. I think this location would suit a building with more substance than that of a low-rise, stucco faced, stick building. I would rather see a solid, mid-rise, mixed use building in this high profile area. This is highly visible from the 'split' at Broadway and West End and someday there will be a times square look to this area, especially if the West End Summit property ever develops. This mini-district deserves a better look.

Phoenix2_zps68be05ca.jpg

Phoenix_zpsc93eab70.jpg

I am impressed by the amount of residential development occurring city-wide and would not normally want to discourage habitation of the urban core. But these stick buildings (five floors of lumber construction on a two story concrete garage) are filling up empty lots all over like so many barnacles on a boat. Maybe there needs to be some restrictions.

• Like 2

I agree 100% - I feel as if these are p-r-i-m-e pieces of land that have so much potential...and then something like this pops up.

Like you said, not opposed to the residential development, but I feel like more thinking/planning should go into these projects. It seems like these developers want quick and easy. Just an opinion  :good:

I'm a little 'bleh' about the Phoenix project between 16th and 17th a block off the roundabout. I think this location would suit a building with more substance than that of a low-rise, stucco faced, stick building. I would rather see a solid, mid-rise, mixed use building in this high profile area. This is highly visible from the 'split' at Broadway and West End and someday there will be a times square look to this area, especially if the West End Summit property ever develops. This mini-district deserves a better look.

I am impressed by the amount of residential development occurring city-wide and would not normally want to discourage habitation of the urban core. But these stick buildings (five floors of lumber construction on a two story concrete garage) are filling up empty lots all over like so many barnacles on a boat. Maybe there needs to be some restrictions.

• Like 1

I'm "bleh" about this one as well. 

I don't have a problem with the 7-story height, though.  That's similar height to Elliston 23.  Elliston 23 is a much better product, though, IMHO, with its brick exterior and well-placed balconies.  This one seems to be yet another mish-mash of materials, surfaces, colors, shapes, etc, all hovering over the a street.  The actual street-frontage here seems to leave a lot to be desired.

I would also say that while this spot is "highly visible" from the Broadway West-End split today, this building will be invisible if any "Times Square" type buildings are constructed.  I think that this height is OK for where it is.  McGavock is a side street and will never really have a high profile, although this building certainly will not raise that profile.  I guess it will raise the profile over what is there currently, but that's not saying much.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I lived next door I believe an older doctor or dentist operated from the larger house.  Both properties were acquired last year and are owned by ADS of South Florida, Inc., which has a local PO box.  I predict a parking lot, but hope to be surprised.

Noticed a demolition permit issued for 2118 and 2120 Hayes St. today. These are a couple of old houses behind the Caterpillar building.  Any info on what's happening here?  

I know that 2118 was abandoned the entire time I lived next to it which was about 08-09. A lot of people in my building treated this house as our own personal park. We would take our dogs in the back yard and what not.

Someone was in and out of 2120 from time to time, but it didn't seem like they were living there.

This would be a good residential spot (although small lots), but not very good for commercial as it faces the ass of the Caterpillar building and not a lot of people use Hayes.

Both houses are in pretty rough shape.

Probably a parking lot.....unfortunately.

Noticed a demolition permit issued for 2118 and 2120 Hayes St. today. These are a couple of old houses behind the Caterpillar building.  Any info on what's happening here?

Not sure what that is. I saw it too and trying to research.

Also, fencing is going up around the 1515 site. The 18 story Childress Klien location.

• Like 2