Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

Hmm.  I saw that one also.  While next to was. Too short right now to see from a distance though. 

Looking at the Vandy skycam (Channel 5), I see a short crane at a location near where the Cadence is going up... but it appears to be really close to the site of the Virgin Hotel.  Sure there's nothing at the Virgin site too?! 

skycam_vu_lg_animated_0.jpg

http://www.jrn.com/newschannel5/weather/live-camera/Vanderbilt-SkyCam-244729301.html

Some good news (in my opinion) came from Planning today. I have to give the credit to the Planning Staff on this one. They really stepped up. A couple months back developers announced that they would be tearing down some old houses and a small early 1900s apartments on 16th Ave S to build 135 apartment units. The original plan was going to be modeled after the nearby Note 16 which did not include any retail or office. Neighbors nearby (including myself) were fearful that we would have another Note 16 in the neighborhood that would turn its back toward the street and not include any amenities for the neighborhood.  Basically, it wouldn't do anything to add to the walkability of the surrounding neighborhood. We relayed those concerns to our Council Lady and Planning, although they may have reached the same plan without our input. 

Fortunately, it looks like Planning has pressured the developers into including quite a bit of retail and/or office space that must address 16th Ave South in order for them to build the residential component. Below are the site plan and latest rendering.  The rendering is nothing special, but at least it doesn't have a metal grate on the first floor that covers the parking level like Note 16 does. It does appear to address the street and is at a scale that is appropriate for that part of Music Row.  This backs up to Edgehill Village, so hopefully there will be some positive benefits for each development in terms of drawing people in and helping retail thrive.

Per the SP there must be at least 7500 sq ft of retail or office space that addresses 16th Ave S. 

16thaveappts_zpsgz1ugqpm.png

rendering16thaveapts_zpsfwvkoig5.png

This building is far more attractive than Note 16... garage entrance in front notwithstanding.

Did I see (correctly) that the apartment building going up next to the United Artists tower is now under construction a/o this week?  

Edited by MLBrumby

Looking at the Vandy skycam (Channel 5), I see a short crane at a location near where the Cadence is going up... but it appears to be really close to the site of the Virgin Hotel.  Sure there's nothing at the Virgin site too?! 

It could possibly be the one for SESAC on 16th.  It would probably be in a similar line to Virgin...just a couple of blocks beyond it.

• Like 1

Preservation debate RE: 16th ave project heating up:  http://www.nashvillescene.com/pitw/archives/2015/02/10/will-nashville-preserve-music-row-or-tear-it-down

There's a petition opposing the rezoning, initiated by Historic Nashville:  http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/deny-sp-rezoning-for-16th-ave-apartments

• Like 1

Preservation debate RE: 16th ave project heating up:  http://www.nashvillescene.com/pitw/archives/2015/02/10/will-nashville-preserve-music-row-or-tear-it-down

There's a petition opposing the rezoning, initiated by Historic Nashville:  http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/deny-sp-rezoning-for-16th-ave-apartments

Some of these debates are simply comical. Someone should tell the preservationists that there is not too much of the music on 'Music Row'  these days. And more and more of it is moving elsewhere/going away. The industry has permanently changed. Unless we want these old homes/empty lots/parking lots to remain as is they will become apartments or office buildings and the row will become more of a truly mixed use neighborhood.

Just because a song was once recorded in an old bungalow does not make it historic. And tearing down that bungalow doesn't erase what happened there, the music still exists!

• Like 2

Some of these debates are simply comical. Someone should tell the preservationists that there is not too much of the music on 'Music Row'  these days. And more and more of it is moving elsewhere/going away. The industry has permanently changed. Unless we want these old homes/empty lots/parking lots to remain as is they will become apartments or office buildings and the row will become more of a truly mixed use neighborhood.

Just because a song was once recorded in an old bungalow does not make it historic. And tearing down that bungalow doesn't erase what happened there, the music still exists!

Absolutely. I think about it this way: when I listen to music created by Elvis, Dolly Parton or whoever, is my enjoyment enhanced or diminished by whether or not the studio in which it was originally recorded is preserved?

Of course not. What matters is the music. Any of the artists who recorded on music row could have just as easily recorded the same songs in another studio in another city with comparable equipment. There is nothing intrinsically magical in these buildings. They just happened to be situated in a nexus of a particular industry during a particular span of years.

From the Tennessean; a photo collection from 1985.

The caption says:

Part of the changes proposed or underway on West End Avenue on Jan. 5, 1985, include the West End Executive Building, top left, the site of a 20-story, $40 million Hilton Hotel planned by Alex S. Palmer. It is across 18th Avenue from where construction work is underway on Palmer Plaza, a 20-story, $30 million office building to which the hotel will be connected at the third floor.  Ricky Rogers / The Tennessean

It jogged my memory when I saw it and I remembered he intended to tear down the building next door and build a 20 story hotel. 

635578668572591869-85then01-006.jpg

Yeah, I'm up late.

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 3

This sucks. Some people just don't get it. 

The only saving grace about this corner is that this...

Z19thampBroadJan2015update_zps07841ceb.j

...may be right behind it. It should draw attention away from the suburban style, bland bank building.

A not so great roll-out for the new bank in town; very unimpressive. 

• Like 1