Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

Disgusting. Why did they even bother releasing a rendering? Like anyone was going to be excited to see that POS staring back at them? What an incredible waste of prime space. They didn't even make an effort to make it look the slightest bit interesting. This is an overall net negative for the neighborhood. At least an empty lot has the potential to become something greater.

• Like 2

Did the city have to approve this structure, or is it outside any overlays that would require a more dense use of the land? Maybe I'm just having a bad day, but this absolutely infuriates me. There is zero reason that should be built on that corner. Honestly, if I had my money with FirstBank and knew they were making stupid moves like this, I'd pull it out in a heartbeat. Not only does this hurt the neighborhood and general development in the area, it is a poor investment on the part of the company.

• Like 2

The 1980s called... and they want their building back.

You mean the suburbs called...

The grassy strips and foundation plantings (little palms?) just scream mall parking lot. I mean you could replace the FirstBank logo with "Krystal" and never know the difference.

Plus, doesnt the image have the corner reversed? Unless the "front" is facing 19th, which would be stupid.

Edited by CenterHill

It's built to the street. It uses limestone and granite materials. 

That's about it as far as redeeming qualities go.

The thing looks like a mausoleum. Underutilized? Sure. I'd like a tall(er) building there. But even for a 1 story structure, this just screams bland.

Of course, we're thinking a bank would be building some kind of HQ (like Renasant), but these guys were just looking for a branch. A branch in Midtown would be fine....I just wish they would pick somewhere else than West End Ave if they aren't looking for a branch in the base of a skyscraper. This building, if on Hayes St, doesn't bother me so much.

• Like 1

It's built to the street. It uses limestone and granite materials. 

That's about it as far as redeeming qualities go.

The thing looks like a mausoleum. Underutilized? Sure. I'd like a tall(er) building there. But even for a 1 story structure, this just screams bland.

Of course, we're thinking a bank would be building some kind of HQ (like Renasant), but these guys were just looking for a branch. A branch in Midtown would be fine....I just wish they would pick somewhere else than West End Ave if they aren't looking for a branch in the base of a skyscraper. This building, if on Hayes St, doesn't bother me so much.

Agreed.  It's not as if anything built from here on out within the city limits must be two stories or more.  We just shouldn't be building these single use, one story structures on one of the most, if not the most important thoroughfare in the city.

Talking to WW about this, I will have to say that having this on another street would be fine, but not on a high profile street like W End.

The materials will be fine, however the mass of the building is horrible. If the had done a larger mixed use site on the location, it would have been much better.

At least three stories, with no surface parking.

• Like 1

As long as 1-story businesses remain on that street and on nearby Bandywood Drive, I do not see that thing NOT being the norm for GH.  Bandywood and Green Hills Circle still have a number of old post-war 1-story bungalow matchboxes transformed into shops and "holes".  Historically, these older mini-strip malls, set back off Hillsboro Pk, as well as along Abbott-Martin at Bandywood, all comprise that "sub-suburban" practice of building disconnected and standalone flat structures as that new bank branch.  Besides it does fit in with the old First-American-Amsouth-Regions bank nearby.  If Southern Land does get its way and builds its tower at Richard Jones Rd and Hillsboro, then it'll be just a matter of time before these 1- and 2-story jobs will get replaced, to turn into a mini-Bethesda, MD of high rises, but I will long have been deep-sixed by then.

-==-

The Planning Commission just indefinitely deferred the 16th Ave Apartment project just south of Edgehill. There was a lot of opposition from the music industry and preservationists. On the neighborhood side of things the developers screwed up and never met with residents until this week. That didn't help anything. The Commission has tasked Staff to study and implement a detailed plan for the entirety of Music Row. While they have not issued a moratorium on rezoning it sure sounds like it will effectively be one unless something changes.

• Like 4