Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

Yeah....there wouldn't be as much grumbling on Music Row if developers would bring the goods like these guys did.

Well, I think that this is the one where the neighborhood objected to the original plan and made the development team and Planning come back together with some ground-floor retail.  If this is the project that I am thinking of, the development team originally had something closer to a Note16 proposed, but the community wanted mixed use, and here it is.  Is this the one, Hey_Hey?

Sometimes community engagement yields substantially improved projects.

Well, I think that this is the one where the neighborhood objected to the original plan and made the development team and Planning come back together with some ground-floor retail.  If this is the project that I am thinking of, the development team originally had something closer to a Note16 proposed, but the community wanted mixed use, and here it is.  Is this the one, Hey_Hey?

I don't disagree.  I think the Music Row community should be involved and try to make sure each project enhances the community instead of destroying it.  At least this project seems to be quality.

Yes, this is the one. There was originally no ground level retail in this one. After talking with our council woman, the company, and planning we got them to mandate 1750 sq ft of retail space. We polled as many neighbors as possible online and 96% wanted ground level retail. We did not want another Note 16 being built, and fortunately that won't happen. It is worth noting that this is the rendering prior to the mandated retail space, so the design could conceivably change to accommodate that.

• Like 2

Yes, this is the one. There was originally no ground level retail in this one. After talking with our council woman, the company, and planning we got them to mandate 1750 sq ft of retail space. We polled as many neighbors as possible online and 96% wanted ground level retail. We did not want another Note 16 being built, and fortunately that won't happen. It is worth noting that this is the rendering prior to the mandated retail space, so the design could conceivably change to accommodate that.

I was actually confused about all the excitement for this as, per that render, there seems to be a pretty solid stretch of the block with nothing but a blank wall addressing the street. Glad to know this rendering is prior to the retail mandate.

So when the other building proposed retail/office space why did the neighborhood not want it? Seems strange to me. Also, Is it only 1750 square feet? That seems quite small

I assume you are talking about the 16th Ave Apartments?  The neighborhood association never actually opposed the project. We asked the Planning Commission to defer for a month because the developers had yet to truly meet with us and discuss how this would impact the surrounding area.  The Planning Commission required them to have 7500 sq feet of retail or office in the building which is exactly what the majority of neighbors wanted. Evidently, the original plan had zero office and/or retail and the planning staff strongly encouraged them to add it in.  By the time the application and renderings became public retail and office space had been added in.  There were several neighbors that thought the design was a little vanilla and that the Planning Commission should aim higher in terms of design which is the primary reason we asked for deferral temporarily. 

Our association had nothing to do with the moratorium.  We had not asked for that and we had not opposed the zoning on the basis of increased density.  The larger storm that was brewing was that preservation groups had really exerted a lot of pressure on the Planning Commission.  As an organization that was not our position. There are certainly those in and around the neighborhood who are part of the association that are preservationists when it comes to Music Row, but that is not the majority by any means.  

As for the 1750 sq feet of retail....that was a compromise that we came to on three fronts.  Forestar had based their financing on 100% residential, and according to their claims any retail space had to be projected to create $0 of revenue. They also were of the opinion that retail was an unproven use in this area, which is arguable, but they were pushing for less retail because of money.  

There was also a push by several Music Row property owners to exclude retail and especially full service restaurants from any development.  They were opposed to any retail and/or restaurant use because it would interfere with their parking.  From what I gathered, these owners wanted to be able to drive in from Belle Meade or Brentwood or wherever, park without any hassle, and then leave without any hassle.  They didn't care what it looked like at night or on the weekends because they wouldn't be in the neighborhood.  However, their voice does count for something and their opinion had to be taken into consideration. 

In order to appease all sides, we settled on 1750 sq feet and forbid a full service restaurant from locating there (which I would have loved).  The 1750 sq feet will be large enough for a coffee shop/deli/limited service restaurant or a small service industry use (barber shop, massage therapy, Music Row tour company, etc).  The reality with all of this is that the Planning Commission, at that time, had essentially nothing to do with any of this.  This was a discussion between the neighborhood association, Forestar, adjacent landowners and Council Lady Gilmore.  Since then, I think they understand that we want Music Row to be a pedestrian friendly area that encourages walkable amenities which is why they required the retail and/or office component in the 16th Ave Apts.

• Like 4

I assume you are talking about the 16th Ave Apartments?  The neighborhood association never actually opposed the project. We asked the Planning Commission to defer for a month because the developers had yet to truly meet with us and discuss how this would impact the surrounding area.  The Planning Commission required them to have 7500 sq feet of retail or office in the building which is exactly what the majority of neighbors wanted. Evidently, the original plan had zero office and/or retail and the planning staff strongly encouraged them to add it in.  By the time the application and renderings became public retail and office space had been added in.  There were several neighbors that thought the design was a little vanilla and that the Planning Commission should aim higher in terms of design which is the primary reason we asked for deferral temporarily. 

Our association had nothing to do with the moratorium.  We had not asked for that and we had not opposed the zoning on the basis of increased density.  The larger storm that was brewing was that preservation groups had really exerted a lot of pressure on the Planning Commission.  As an organization that was not our position. There are certainly those in and around the neighborhood who are part of the association that are preservationists when it comes to Music Row, but that is not the majority by any means.  

As for the 1750 sq feet of retail....that was a compromise that we came to on three fronts.  Forestar had based their financing on 100% residential, and according to their claims any retail space had to be projected to create $0 of revenue. They also were of the opinion that retail was an unproven use in this area, which is arguable, but they were pushing for less retail because of money.  

There was also a push by several Music Row property owners to exclude retail and especially full service restaurants from any development.  They were opposed to any retail and/or restaurant use because it would interfere with their parking.  From what I gathered, these owners wanted to be able to drive in from Belle Meade or Brentwood or wherever, park without any hassle, and then leave without any hassle.  They didn't care what it looked like at night or on the weekends because they wouldn't be in the neighborhood.  However, their voice does count for something and their opinion had to be taken into consideration. 

In order to appease all sides, we settled on 1750 sq feet and forbid a full service restaurant from locating there (which I would have loved).  The 1750 sq feet will be large enough for a coffee shop/deli/limited service restaurant or a small service industry use (barber shop, massage therapy, Music Row tour company, etc).  The reality with all of this is that the Planning Commission, at that time, had essentially nothing to do with any of this.  This was a discussion between the neighborhood association, Forestar, adjacent landowners and Council Lady Gilmore.  Since then, I think they understand that we want Music Row to be a pedestrian friendly area that encourages walkable amenities which is why they required the retail and/or office component in the 16th Ave Apts.

I see. It is positive that you guys were able to work out a compromise without the planning commission. The neighborhood association's reasons for asking for a deferral on the 16th apartments seem a bit flimsy to me, that project would have benefited the area much more than this one imo(especially because I don't really consider the Forestar project to be in the Edgehill neighborhood). I understand that it was really others in the city who caused the moratorium(short sighted imo),

This a good transcript of summarily outlining the way the process can be driven to consortium with several parties on board.  It also demonstrates the dimensional dynamics on-hand in working toward a resolution.

IMHO, this should be regarded as a case history, at least in part.

-==-

JJs is on the corner of Broadway and Lyle. Article was sloppy in its description. This move, if it occurs, makes sense for the project as the current footprint is too small for what was proposed. My guess is that the original plan assumed aqusition of the JJs location all along.

Edited by captainwjm

Here's the latest picture of the Crescent project on the Music Row side of Divison St taken earlier today. This will likely start to rise out of the ground by summer. 

D5FEE77C-6B80-42AB-BFAA-090E7CFED49A_zps

Does anyone have a render of this?  I am interested to know what the ground floor / streetscape looks like on this one.  Is there a retail component?  Right now it's a pretty desolate stretch of Division St, especially with the back side of 1505 Demonbreun being nothing but garage entrances, dumpsters, and brick walls.  Would be great to see some storefronts or other components to activate the street.  

Does anyone have a render of this?  I am interested to know what the ground floor / streetscape looks like on this one.  Is there a retail component?  Right now it's a pretty desolate stretch of Division St, especially with the back side of 1505 Demonbreun being nothing but garage entrances, dumpsters, and brick walls.  Would be great to see some storefronts or other components to activate the street.  

I believe this is it:

slide-1_zps8bd4374a.jpg