Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

As I was getting my car worked on, I noticed some fresh dirt on a small plot of land (approx 1/3 of an acre) on the SW corner of 17th and State. It is adjacent to Bell Midtown. Not a big piece of land, but it had been completely covered with fresh dirt. Could be a parking lot for all I know, but I wanted to ask if anyone has heard otherwise (or can find out).

That Bell complex has undergone several renovations / updates recently and will be listed for sale / sold soon IMO.  

Notable news out of the Planning Commission. Towery Development had their SP on 16th Ave S passed tonight despite the recent "moratorium" that was placed on zoning changes. This was an empty lot that sits in the South Music Row Historic Conservation Overlay. Clearly, the moratorium isn't iron clad. At the meeting they seemed to back off the absolute moratorium that seemed to have been placed a few weeks ago. This project itself is fairly small, only accounting for 10,000 sq feet of office space, but that office space is needed and it fills one of the only empty lots along Music Row. 

• Like 3

Notable news out of the Planning Commission. Towery Development had their SP on 16th Ave S passed tonight despite the recent "moratorium" that was placed on zoning changes. This was an empty lot that sits in the South Music Row Historic Conservation Overlay. Clearly, the moratorium isn't iron clad. At the meeting they seemed to back off the absolute moratorium that seemed to have been placed a few weeks ago. This project itself is fairly small, only accounting for 10,000 sq feet of office space, but that office space is needed and it fills one of the only empty lots along Music Row.

That is good. The universal and unilateral moratorium on development was bad precedent. Still is.

I recently learned that the house located at 3137 Long Blvd in West End Park will be torn down for condos.  Anybody have any information on that development?

There are several projects up there. There is nothing historic about historic West End Park any longer.

Without looking for this property, can you tell me where its located?

In a story from the NBJ, it looks as if another group of properties may be headed to the wrecking ball around Chet Atkins and 18th.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/04/landowners-pursue-sale-of-midtown-site-to.html

• Like 1

There are several projects up there. There is nothing historic about historic West End Park any longer.

Without looking for this property, can you tell me where its located?

In a story from the NBJ, it looks as if another group of properties may be headed to the wrecking ball around Chet Atkins and 18th.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/04/landowners-pursue-sale-of-midtown-site-to.html

Yeah, I remember you mentioning a couple of others, but hadn't heard about this one - may have been one of the ones you mentioned that were not public yet.  3137 Long is 3 doors north from where Mason intersects Long.  (They just tore down the building on the corner of Mason and Long.) 

There are plans for a three story on the corner of Mason and Long. I think there is another planned on the street that runs right behind that lot as well.

There are also the projects on the other side of the street across from West End Village.

There is another one planned in the area as well, but I am unsure of the location, but it is on one of the side streets close to 31st.

This again is another area that has changed dramatically over the last ten years.

BTW, theOpus31 project should be starting soon too. That will sit right next to Opus 29, and another project will be starting soon on the corner of 30th and Poston, at least I think that is the intersection.

This project story is behind pay-wall, but the Ten Town-home project will be on the corners of Long, Belwood , and Mason.

Regent Homes is doing the project and the units are expected to go for between the high 300's and low 400's.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2015/5/4/west_end_park_townhome_project_to_start_by_late_june

EeYk76A.png

• Like 2

The other project in that area will be at the corner of Mason and West End Circle. Looks as if 4 older homes will come down. That one as planned would be four stories.

Again, nothing historic left of Historic West  End Park.  They really need to take that sign down.   "Welcome to Historic West End Park"

• Like 3

Or just put a sticker with the word "non" in front of the word "Historic". I really am not impressed by the hodgepodge appearance of architectural styles in that neighborhood.  Major fails in the "good taste" area.

Hodgepodge is right. Not all of them are bad (especially the very few actual historic ones that are left), but no real continuity. Germantown is somewhat hodgepodge, too, but somehow feels a lot more urban.

• Like 1

I don't think there's anything wrong with a hodgepodge collection of architecture. Actually, in many cases, I feel as though having a nice variety of styles actually enhances a neighborhood. In my opinion the main issue with West End Park is that there is no physical cohesion between any two buildings. It doesn't feel like a neighborhood at all. It's as if these buildings just fell out of the sky into random configurations. There is almost no retail or mass transit access to speak of. Sidewalks are generally in fairly shoddy condition and coverage is spotty, and there is just generally nothing memorable about it at all. Average to below average looking residential buildings, many of which don't address the street at all, separated by large, empty, useless patches of grass. Sounds great!

We looked at a condo there, and I am glad we did not buy over there. There are still a lot of run down properties in the area as well. They could  have developed a retail component for the neighborhood so people would not have to fight West End traffic to get a bit of food or coffee.

• Like 1

We looked at a condo there, and I am glad we did not buy over there. There are still a lot of run down properties in the area as well. They could  have developed a retail component for the neighborhood so people would not have to fight West End traffic to get a bit of food or coffee.

Or they could walk.

• Like 3

Anyone know what's going on at 21st and Church/Elliston? Fencing and barricades are up on the entire western half of the block surrounding and 1 and adjacent 2-3 floor building and appears to be prepped for demo.

Western block of 21st and Church?  Isn't that Krispy Kreme?  

It's the southeastern quadrant of the intersection of Church and 21st, at the medical plaza of the "old" hospital and across 21st from our precious pastry purveyor. Unspecified upgrade work as noted here and here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2014/10/6/permit_patrol_6_october_2014

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2015/3/2/saint_thomas_midtown_work_lands_32m_in_permits

NBJ reports that the renovations include a new building and 640-space car hole on Hayes.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2015/05/healthcare-realty-trust-plans-48m-midtown-project.html

Going to be a tight fit for a new building and I assume the parking structure is meant for the lot behind Sitar Indian Restaurant.

• Like 1