Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

Would still like to walk to an independent coffee shop with a neighborhood vibe rather than the generic fare on West End.

Likely that OneC1ty will eventually have one or more coffee joints.   Walkable, bikeable from West End Park and probably an easier car trip vs. West End Ave.   

The owners of 1202 16th Ave S pulled a demolition permit on May 5th.  This is one of the lots in question for apartment development that was the impetus for the "moratorium" placed on Music Row.  I don't know if they are just getting rid of the property to make redevelopment easier or if they have new plans for that lot.

They're probably about to do something stupid that will anger the community and make development harder for everyone in the future.

IMO the city is putting itself in a position of financial liability with this moratorium. I think it would be a relatively easy case for a property owner to prove that the city's actions have financially harmed property owners for really no reason.

That sounds like drunken threats by landowners (and FYI there were those emails bouncing around...I have read some).  The city is under no obligation to grant a zoning change. That's the point of zoning. The owners can develop any land they own according to the zoning laws that are currently in place. There is no financial harm because the owners of the land in question never had the right to develop the land as they wanted in the first place.  That's the reason most developers don't purchase a piece of property until the zoning change is in place, they simply hold an option on that land (see Tabernacle Church and Bristol Development for a recent example).  If they could successfully sue based on that reasoning then I'm going to file suit because I really want a 20 story tower on my R6 zoned lot, and there is evidently a moratorium against allowing 20 story buildings to be built in residential neighborhoods. See how ludicrous that argument is?

Furthermore, evidently the word "moratorium" was never used by the Planning Commission. It was coined a "moratorium" by the media the next day.  Also, if there is a reasonable plan that doesn't drastically change use then the Planning Commission has proven that they will continue to pass those zoning changes.  Just 3 weeks ago they approved Towery Development's plan for an SP on 16th Ave S. So much for a "moratorium."

"Moratorium on redevelopment" seems to be the more proper term. That lot on 16th S was just a lot, correct? There was nothing on the land I believe.

You are correct that the city does not have to grant zoning changes, however if they grant them to some developers and not to others, this seems capricious and wrong morally imo. The planning commission seems to have a different idea of what Music Row is than what reality says it is. They want it to be a bunch of quaint music related businesses and auxiliary businesses. These businesses are fleeing the area or going out of business due to new realities of music business.

So we can stall redevelopment and watch as Music Row falls further into disrepair, or deal with the changing reality and move forward with the best plan available. I know what I choose.

IMO the city is putting itself in a position of financial liability with this moratorium. I think it would be a relatively easy case for a property owner to prove that the city's actions have financially harmed property owners for really no reason.

Lol. No.

• Like 1

Lol. No.

Cities get sued all the time because of issues just like this. A simple Google search will pull up many cases. Even if the city wins a lawsuit they have to pay to defend the lawsuit.

A simple Lol, no tells me you don't really understand the issue.

Gasp!  Where is the stone wall?!?!?!

Behind the construction fencing, no worse for the wear.

Though some wayward motorist took out another section in front of the WWI monument.

There's also a lot of new stone work as part of the improvements around the spring.      For a corner of the park that was rarely used, it's going to be a very nice area when finished.     

• Like 1

Behind the construction fencing, no worse for the wear.

Though some wayward motorist took out another section in front of the WWI monument.

So... while driving in this morning, I checked on the stone wall. Turns out I lied, it is gone. (I swear it was just there last week...)

The Centennial Park Master Plan specifically references having a short wall of "a high quality" and "complement[ing] the architecture and landscape of the park" around the street-fronting boundaries of the park. So they may have found it needed to be rebuilt, or moved back to accommodate streetscape or sidewalk improvements.

So... while driving in this morning, I checked on the stone wall. Turns out I lied, it is gone. (I swear it was just there last week...)

The Centennial Park Master Plan specifically references having a short wall of "a high quality" and "complement[ing] the architecture and landscape of the park" around the street-fronting boundaries of the park. So they may have found it needed to be rebuilt, or moved back to accommodate streetscape or sidewalk improvements.

I truly hope that whoever stole it can return it with not questions asked.  :ermm:  (seriously, though...)That particular classic style of wall masonry is just much too woven into the West End - Centennial Park fabric for some single administrator's arbitrary whim to just get rid of it.  There should be a public outcry about that, at least to be told that the wall will be returned.  Maybe it will be restored with some structural reinforcements, to address an issue that none of us yet knows about.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 4

Someone more informed can tell you.  I can tell you that it was Webb Pierce's pool; it had been attached to what had once been the Spence Manor Motel, where I stayed one night back in '79-'80 for a wild party.  See this.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050601/COLUMNIST0102/105030007/-1/SPECIAL0908

http://www.creativehousinggroup.com/files/spencermanor_logo-1.pdf

Now it's so-called "historic" and made into fancy condos.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1