Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

Good find! Interesting choice to have the hotel front Hayes Street and not 21st, I didn't realize that was the intended orientation of the hotel.

What's the parking situation going to be? I can't quite tell from that plan that they have any entrances for an underground garage.

Probably be easier ingress and egress from Hayes St.

Hey guys, keep your eyes on the Post for some news I sent to WW.

I may not be at home if  and when it goes live, so I want to make sure you guys get it posted on here.

You will know it when you see it.

It's about a new tallest, isn't it?!!!  I knew it would happen!!!  :yahoo:

• Like 2

It's about a new tallest, isn't it?!!!  I knew it would happen!!!  :yahoo:

On West End? I'm not holding my breath...  :whistling:

Maybe it's another Cook Out location. Or a better design for that silly suburban bank nearby.

• Like 1

There is something off with the view of the story, but the renderings speak for themselves.

The first is the building that would go next to Off Broadway Shoes and the second is the full site plan.

I am assuming they do not own the parking lot that would remain a parking lot behind the strip?

Wow.  That's quite the vision!  I don't think I'd mind if they tore down the little bar/restaurant strip so long as they follow through with the blueprints and replace it with more retail/bars with patios out front. 

I was going to say, because that strip is very active and has a great street presence, even if some of the clientele is annoying but it serves its purpose and does well.

I don't mean to be negative, but there is very little chance that this will be done and keep the street as active as it is. We've seen how these developments are built. Sure, there will be street front commercial space. But it will probably be one or two. There will be the buildings concierge entrance and the "gathering space", but I doubt there will be a 1/3 as much street frontage as there is existing. I could be wrong, and look forward to seeing the elevations, but I'm not very hopeful.

This falls into the category of "let's destroy something that is functioning perfectly well, replace it with something shiny and ignore all the surface parking nearby".

Edited by nashvillwill
  • Like 1

It's interesting how we act like some "peoples" being led to a "promised land", and in a wilderness of construction, vacant lots, and bus fumes, we then start imagining, only to get let down and turn to complaining, because we want steak instead of potted meat (or better worse yet, Spam meat).  I'm guilty as charged...

-==-

This and many of the projects we are starting to see look interesting.  But I have a big question how do they fit into the area.  How much can nashville take. a developer gets rights to a property - there is demand - so lets put a big building on it.  where is the overall plan.  with all these interesting proposals if we build say build 25 mid to high rises in mid town what do we have in the end.  Where is the study or master plan of the area.  I like most of these projects but not in the context of the neighborhood or their neighbors.

• Like 3

I don't mean to be negative, but there is very little chance that this will be done and keep the street as active as it is. We've seen how these developments are built. Sure, there will be street front commercial space. But it will probably be one or two. There will be the buildings concierge entrance and the "gathering space", but I doubt there will be a 1/3 as much street frontage as there is existing. I could be wrong, and look forward to seeing the elevations, but I'm not very hopeful.

This falls into the category of "let's destroy something that is functioning perfectly well, replace it with something shiny and ignore all the surface parking nearby".

I didn't sum up the square footage, but with the inclusion of the grocery store, it looks like a significant amount of retail space will be added.  That said, I think you're right that there will be less activity/activation on Demonbreun as a result of both the loss of retail on the 'strip' and the transition of some of that retail from destination nightlife to neighborhood amenities.  

In the short term, however, it sounds like they're heeding your advice and dealing with the surface lot first before tearing down what's already working to replace it with the shiny new stuff.  Unless I'm reading the article wrong (which is very possible) I think they're just tearing down the house from which the pedal tavern operates and probably the section of the strip that includes the hair salon and the Indian restaurant so they can build the parking deck that will provide the necessary parking capacity in order to then build the grocery/office/residential tower on the lot next to Off Broadway Shoes.  

An article about this project a few months ago mentioned that there were tenants with 10 years still on their lease, which I assume is Tin Roof since they recently renovated/expanded with the Green Room and (I think) Two Bits, so I think the part of the project that affects the bulk of the retail strip is a long way off.  

• Like 1

I didn't sum up the square footage, but with the inclusion of the grocery store, it looks like a significant amount of retail space will be added.  That said, I think you're right that there will be less activity/activation on Demonbreun as a result of both the loss of retail on the 'strip' and the transition of some of that retail from destination nightlife to neighborhood amenities.  

In the short term, however, it sounds like they're heeding your advice and dealing with the surface lot first before tearing down what's already working to replace it with the shiny new stuff.  Unless I'm reading the article wrong (which is very possible) I think they're just tearing down the house from which the pedal tavern operates and probably the section of the strip that includes the hair salon and the Indian restaurant so they can build the parking deck that will provide the necessary parking capacity in order to then build the grocery/office/residential tower on the lot next to Off Broadway Shoes.  

An article about this project a few months ago mentioned that there were tenants with 10 years still on their lease, which I assume is Tin Roof since they recently renovated/expanded with the Green Room and (I think) Two Bits, so I think the part of the project that affects the bulk of the retail strip is a long way off.

You are correct on all counts. The parking garage is the first piece of the puzzle.

Speculation on my part is they will incorporate more retail and probably redo the retail space on Demonbreun. It also looks as if they may build on top of Off Broadway Shoes.

I think a ten year buildout is probable.

• Like 1