Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

The full Nashville Post article has a diagram of the site at the bottom of the page:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2015/5/26/midtown_mixed_use_project_would_include_22_story_tower_with_grocery

It appears that there are 8 retail/restaurant slots on street level in the area that currently has 15 or 16 from the roundabout down to Rhythm condos.  The Irish Pub will remain, which would bring it to 9.  There would also be a lobby for the residential/office tower, and another lobby for the hotel, along with a driveway leading cars back to entrance for garage in the back.  I wouldn't be surprised if there might also be retail/restaurants on a second and/or third floors (seeing that Demonbreun slopes downward by 25-30 feet from the Circle eastward to Rhythm).

Of course, the grocery store/pharmacy will also add quite a bit of retail footage along 16th Avenue.  Overall, it appears to be about the same amount of retail/restaurant footage as exists now, just maybe not as many slots.

I would hope the city will do away with on-street parking along Demonbreun in order to allow for additional lanes moving in each direction and to encourage folks to utilize the parking garage.  Traffic is going to be a cluster*** anyway, but that would at least help some.

Not buying it; another big splash announcement that'll fizzle.  And the grocery?  Everybody promises a grocery [Hello Aertson/Buckingham!] but so far, no cigar.  Wake me when they start construction.

These guys own the property, are doing projects across the city, obviously have access to capital.

The start date may be years away but this project feels like it as a pretty high likelihood of happening.

Edited by samsonh
  • Like 2

My publisher's office is above Off Broadway Shoes and we all have free parking in the lot where this building will be located.  Elmington came in and refurbished the upstairs offices and now have their own office up there next to my publisher's office.  My publisher just upped his rental contract until 2020...so I'm expecting that nothing will happen with those offices until at least 2020...which probably means nothing will happen with the shops along Demonbreun for the next 5 years either.  

If anything...I'd bet they build the tower with grocery and then see how that goes.  This parking lot is at the corner of 16th and McGavock, right next to Off Broadway (north of OB).

Not buying it; another big splash announcement that'll fizzle. And the grocery? Everybody promises a grocery [Hello Aertson/Buckingham!] but so far, no cigar. Wake me when they start construction.

Have there been many big splash announcements that have fizzled lately? The only one I can think of is WES. The majority of projects that have been announced have come to fruition.

I think a grocery announcement is imminent somewhere in the core. Last week it broke that the Colonial Bakery developers were unable to land a grocer because they are looking downtown and in Midtown. That bodes well for a grocer in this project, north gulch, Aertson, or all three.

• Like 1

captainwjm, on 26 May 2015 - 2:54 PM, said:snapback.png

Not buying it; another big splash announcement that'll fizzle. And the grocery? Everybody promises a grocery [Hello Aertson/Buckingham!] but so far, no cigar. Wake me when they start construction.

Have there been many big splash announcements that have fizzled lately? The only one I can think of is WES. The majority of projects that have been announced have come to fruition.

I think a grocery announcement is imminent somewhere in the core. Last week it broke that the Colonial Bakery developers were unable to land a grocer because they are looking downtown and in Midtown. That bodes well for a grocer in this project, north gulch, Aertson, or all three.

There may not have been many fully fizzled and hollow announcements, but I agree that with such a magnitude of the proposal, historically there have been many delays of groundbreaking or commenced steady progress, at least a few of which have been protracted indefinitely or significantly reduce in scale.  Whether or not such a large proposal begins to be undertaken and comes to fruition, it can be rather difficult to avoid some major change of plans during a seven-to-ten year lapse.

My hopes wouldn't be totally dashed in doubt for such a huge development, but I think it's always safer to watch for the intermediate signs of earnest, before we get our optimism too high too fast.

-==-

• Like 1

I would hope the city will do away with on-street parking along Demonbreun in order to allow for additional lanes moving in each direction and to encourage folks to utilize the parking garage.  Traffic is going to be a cluster*** anyway, but that would at least help some.

I would hope they would keep the on-street parking to provide a buffer to encourage foot traffic.  There are far too many places in this city where pedestrians are expected to walk inches away from moving vehicles.  I want narrow, easy to cross streets, and if traffic is a problem, build transit.  You can't create a walkable city by encouraging people to drive around in cars.

• Like 4

I know most of us would like to keep the atmosphere on Demonbreun Hill similar to what it is now.  Very vibrant.  But...one thing I keep forgetting about is the retail that will go in across the street.  Does anyone know what type of retail will go in there?  More bars?  Restaurants?

I know most of us would like to keep the atmosphere on Demonbreun Hill similar to what it is now.  Very vibrant.  But...one thing I keep forgetting about is the retail that will go in across the street.  Does anyone know what type of retail will go in there?  More bars?  Restaurants?

It was reported at some point that the retail space at the roundabout in Element was being set-up for a restaurant, but I don't remember seeing anything yet about who/what it will be.  There's only one other relatively small retail space planned for that building, and there is no retail in the other new apt. building next door, so there's not going to be that much extra activation on that side of Demonbreun.  There will, however, be additional entertainment/retail options in both the Virgin and Crescent down the street that will help foot traffic in the area, too. 

• Like 2

Metro Planning staff are undertaking a study of the Music Row area as part of the soft moratorium that was imposed earlier this year on zoning changes. I hope that they are also considering multi-modal transit.  Right now there are now bus routes that run down Demonbreun or the northern half of Music Row. The southern half of Music Row has infrequent service from the #2 and #25. This is likely a corridor that can support a new line, maybe even an extension of the Music City Circuit to include a Midtown/Music Row route.  

This proposed project will be a massive development and will be home to 3000-4000 residents, employees and hotel guests every day once it is fully built out.  That is in addition to Element, 1515 Demonbreun, the Virgin Hotel, Crescent, Rhythm, Cadence, Forestar, the new SESAC HQ building, Lennar's M Residences, Artisan on 18th, and Skyhouse which are all within 3 blocks of this planned development. Even without the Elmington Capital project that is an incredible change in density for one small neighborhood in a very short period of time. There has to be an investment into transit infrastructure for this to be sustainable.

They at least should have augmented rather than reroute Nº2, from the Muses Roundabout via Division up and down Music Row, to its current route via 12th and Edgehill, thereby literally cutting Music Row service distance in half, back around 2010/2011 or so.  Again it was former MTA leadership (of at least 2 names unmentioned), along with a mayoral nod, who gave the spin rationale to reroute that bus to offset a food desert syndrome along the 12th Ave corridor, by providing that district a direct path to Green Hills.  That's always been hogwash (B-$), since riders living in the 12th Ave district rarely if ever actually use Nº 2 except to pass between downtown and Edgehill.  Instead, riders often have discovered that they boarded the Nº2 mistakenly believing that it would take them along entire 12th Ave, and usually will de-board and waste their fare.

12th Ave dwellers usually travel to the Melrose Kroger or to the Wal-mart on Powell, and almost never go to Green Hills for that purpose.  The MTA Nº17, recently rerouted from Demonbreun to run along 11th Ave throughout the length of the gulch, as well as along it's original primary path of 12th Ave. So., always has been far more frequent and operational during evening hours, than Nº2, which should have never been messed with to start.  Nº17 alone well serves the 12th Ave district, IMO.  Since the start of modern times, the Nº2 has been the ba$tard stepchild of the entire southern hemisphere of the MTA coverage, for many years being combined with Nº7 Hillsboro in the early evening hours, and for a few years now, it no longer has been running on weekends, a decision which has totally severed a direct connection between downtown and Belmont and greater Music Row, except where Nº25 crosses Music Row at Edgehill.  In my dreams, they should return streetcars to Belmont and Music Row.

Again, yet another snow job.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

Maybe some of those bars can move to the retail space at the gulch crossing. I hate to see those places go.

There are going to be PLENTY of options all over Midtown, Gulch, North Gulch, Capitol View, SoBro, etc. for places to relocate inside newer developments or redeveloped sites.  So, hopefully some of these will find a way to resurface elsewhere.  But as we know, restaurants only have about a 10% success rate after the first few years, and often even the more successful ones only have about a 7-12 year shelf life.  Tough, tough business.  But with Nashville's burgeoning tourist and convention trade, a lot of the inner core/hot neighborhood establishments could do quite well for a time.  

Oh, I think we all remember when there were no restaurants or bars on that strip and it was just souvineer shops.

There will be something on the strip, but it may not be the ones that are there now. Everything changes, and we just get use to the changes as they happen. It will probably be as good if not better than it is now.

• Like 2

It's actually on 19th, about a block off of Division.  This entire area will probably soon be all condos / apartments.  I would imagine Tony has his eye on some adjacent land to go along with this to eventually build something here.