Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

It truly feels like there are a lot of people in Nashville specifically who see old buildings like this almost as a nuisance that they're just waiting for an opportunity and/or excuse to get rid of, kind of how most of us see parking lots.  I don't understand this sentiment at all, and the argument that they should come down because 'they're old' and 'need repairs' is even more perplexing to me.  If that were a reason to demolish a building then most of the buildings in most cities in the world that don't exist in the sunbelt of the United States would have come down long ago.  Imagine what Paris (just one random example of countless others) would look like if every time they discovered an old building with sketchy plumbing, they just demolished it instead of simply fix the plumbing. 

That being said, I do understand the argument from a resident like samsonh who would benefit from increased amenities and residents, and I will say that whether or not a building is 'nice' enough to deserve preservation is a completely subjective one.  The Boscos building, in my opinion, absolutely deserves preservation, but the two that it shares the block with...I'm not sure I'd shed much of a tear if they came down and were replaced with something more dynamic. 

Exactly BNA, it is not that I view these buildings as ugly. I do not. But I do know that I want better mass transit in this city, and to get that we need increased density. I also want neighborhood stores/restaurants/amenities. Right now I am not sure either the Bosco's or Sam's pieces of that block are really feasible economically, I am far from an expert though.

Once the Region's building comes down and mixed use takes it's place, the neighborhood will have seen a lot of change and will be far better off than it was 5 years ago. It will have positive momentum and may regain it's reputation as a destination that it seems to have lost lately. Add to that the empty lot across from Cabana that hopefully will be developed in the next 3-5 years, and you are really gaining some density.

Wow!!!  that's gorgeous!  I genuinely hope that happens...what an advancement for the neighborhood that would be!

Also, on a random note...I love that dragon mural in Hillsboro Village.  Nashville needs much more of that type of thing to add some pizazz and character to our neighborhoods!

• Like 3

(Hillsboro Village) can …"regain it's reputation as a destination that it seems to have lost lately."  I've lived in this neighborhood for 25 years, and it is currently as popular/busy as it has EVER been. 

It's definitely lost some buzz to other neighborhoods, and that's only natural. And I agree it recently has gotten busier, mainly due to the new acklen  development oddly enough!

this is an interesting argument, if only because shows how perceptions are shaped. Sunset closed because numbers were down drastically over the past few years. Zumi was forced to rebrand. Boscos closed and is being closely followed by SAMs and the village concept(due to lack of business). Boca Loca closed(although everything closes in that location). Jacksons is fairly empty after 830 pm. Cabana is busy on weekends until 10. The two busy spots are jenis and double dogs. 

But "busier than ever"!

Hillsboro Village... "No one goes there anymore. It's too crowded."  Y. Berra

...Well it must most certainly draw in the locals, which includes a sizable patronage from the younger sectors of Belmont-Hillsboro, and Vandy-Hillsboro areas (and some oldies as well [and some of you know whom I'm pointing to).  Not saying that H-V is the polar magnet that it once had been, even 10 years ago, because of the numerous sprouts elsewhere on the near southside and the Gulch, but I still see flocking trails of footprints leading there from as far out as the I-440 southwesterly loop.  Granted, though, there no longer seems as much diversity of attraction in H-V, as they once had been, or perhaps so it only appears that way, as Melrose, West End, Mid-town, 12 South, and the Gulch have evolved into much more expansive action centers. (and to a limited extent, We-Ho)

Except for the "vestigial" venues at Capers Ave.(e.g. Sportsman's Grill and H-Cue's Poolroom, PizzaPerfect,...), most of the H-V framework spans only the two blocks from Blakemore to Acklen, although it does contain of bit of "girth" a block or two either side of 21st Ave.  But the Village has lost its "singularity" among 20- and 30-somethings from back in 1965. when I first started to frequent it.
-==-

Edgehill Village lands a Warby Parker standalone retail store.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2015/08/warby-parker-to-open-stand-alone-nashville.html

This is the third announcement there of major new tenants. It follows the announcement of a new bar from the owners of No. 308 as well as the location of the Nashville Live Nation offices.

• Like 4

Edgehill Village lands a Warby Parker standalone retail store.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2015/08/warby-parker-to-open-stand-alone-nashville.html

This is the third announcement there of major new tenants. It follows the announcement of a new bar from the owners of No. 308 as well as the location of the Nashville Live Nation offices.

just need the 308 people to actually start doing something....

They are aging, but I don't think they should be torn down. I think the surface lot could be redeveloped, but having a single, whole-block building there would cause the area to lose its identity and charm.

Nashville needs more neighborhoods like Hillsboro Village, and there are many other blocks that should be redeveloped before this lively stretch of 21st. I'd be quite heartbroken if it was torn down.

Sam's and Bosco's buildings to go on the market.          http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2015/08/hillsboro-village-home-of-sams-sports-grill-set-to.html

I went to double dogs last night, it was nice, great service and it was packed,

the garage in the back was free for 2.5 hours, which was awesome.  

EXCEPT, I was about 20 minutes late, and got a ticket......for..............$31    no joke.  and the time printed on the ticket was 30 minutes in the future!

I went to double dogs last night, it was nice, great service and it was packed,

the garage in the back was free for 2.5 hours, which was awesome.  

EXCEPT, I was about 20 minutes late, and got a ticket......for..............$31    no joke.  and the time printed on the ticket was 30 minutes in the future!

so these things never happen to me. Explain what happened when you talked to the manager about the situation 

• Like 1

Was it a premier parking lot? I apologize in advance if I'm not 100% accurate here since I'm going solely on memory, but a few years ago I had parked in a premier lot next to Joes crab shack one night. I was barely a minute or two over the expiration time and literally walking to my car as the meter guy was placing a ticket on my car. I was like what the Hell man? But he just kinda shrugged and ran off. It was for some ridiculous amount, too, like $40 or so (in addition to what I had already paid). Anyway, I called the number on the ticket and made a big stink about it and the guy on the phone whittled it down to something more reasonable like $15. So it's not outside their power to do so if you get on their case, it's not like they're real metro police tickets. 

• Like 2

Was it a premier parking lot? I apologize in advance if I'm not 100% accurate here since I'm going solely on memory, but a few years ago I had parked in a premier lot next to Joes crab shack one night. I was barely a minute or two over the expiration time and literally walking to my car as the meter guy was placing a ticket on my car. I was like what the Hell man? But he just kinda shrugged and ran off. It was for some ridiculous amount, too, like $40 or so (in addition to what I had already paid). Anyway, I called the number on the ticket and made a big stink about it and the guy on the phone whittled it down to something more reasonable like $15. So it's not outside their power to do so if you get on their case, it's not like they're real metro police tickets.

If they're not real Metro PD tickets, then what happens if you just don't pay them?