smeagolsfree

CBD/SoBro/RutledgeHill/Rolling Mill Hill Projects

5061 posts in this topic

Hey all.  New to the boards but have been reading for a while.  I work downtown in the Ragland building on 2nd and Korean Vets Blvd and can keep my eyes open on things in the land of SoBro.  I can get some pics out of new Hilton Garden Inn development and everything else going on... especially the guitar shaped buildings made from Legos.  

Welcome! 

1 person likes this

I am new myself, although lurking for a long time. Welcome. I hop back on the road playing music soon, but I check out this site to keep informed.

Edited by Five Points Urbanite
2 people like this

Took a walk by the future Hilton Garden Inn site. They are still core drilling. The south building has asbestos too so I'm not sure if that would delay any demolition.

The site is on a spike in elevation so even a moderate 11 story building will look tall from a distance. Especially with no other tall buildings adjacent.

2 people like this

Does anyone here know (with certainty) how the HGI will be oriented toward the streets around it?

The yellow shows the area the HGI will sit.  The official address will be on 3rd avenue (for vehicle entry most likely).  I am sure the main front will fave KVB.

1 person likes this

Here is an article from the Ledger about SoBro and the pedestrian Bridge.

http://www.nashvilleledger.com/editorial/Article.aspx?id=64274

It's interesting...I always thought the pedestrian bridge would connect with Pine...it would have better access into the middle of the Gulch. But perhaps where they are thinking of putting it, it would help spark growth along the Division side of the Gulch, behind ICON and around Yazoo. I can see how the current pedestrian access (dark low underpass on 8th) would make this a much more appealing bypass.

Speaking of which...that seems like the perfect spot for a bridge mural...something that would welcome you to downtown Nashville.

1 person likes this

It's interesting...I always thought the pedestrian bridge would connect with Pine...it would have better access into the middle of the Gulch. But perhaps where they are thinking of putting it, it would help spark growth along the Division side of the Gulch, behind ICON and around Yazoo. I can see how the current pedestrian access (dark low underpass on 8th) would make this a much more appealing bypass.

Speaking of which...that seems like the perfect spot for a bridge mural...something that would welcome you to downtown Nashville.

It looks to me in the map like it's connecting to Pine behind Pine St Flats, Pine has been extended to connect to Gleaves, or maybe it always did and I just didn't know it, and there's a green strip between the road and the RR ROW.   So the bridge comes across the parking lot between Cummins Station and Cannery Row and it has quite a wide area it can hit and lead you to Pine if you go right and Gleaves if you go left, this is just where I'd imagined it.

They really need to add some lighting to that underpass, it's spooky as heck at night and there's usually a few homeless guys lurking around there, probably harmless but not exactly attractive to pedestrians.

For now, Historic Nashville is more concerned about hotel development on Lower Broadway, in particular the corner of Second Avenue and Broadway that has been an on-again, off-again hotel development site for years.

“The proposals that have come up involve putting a hotel in on what is now surface parking, and wrapping it around some existing, two-story historic buildings,” Jones says.

“Yes, they would be restored, but they’d also have a multistory hotel looming over them. We’re just keeping our fingers on the pulse of the whole area, because there’s a lot of good redevelopment going on but everyone needs to be really careful.”

I think those buildings would look great with a multistory hotel looming over them. What do these people want, a museum? A vibrant city means weaving the old and new together.

Wow, I love the look of the pedestrian bridge!  Very cutting edge design.  It would be great, in my opinion, if there was a sort of pedestrian only street of restaurants, bars and shops that extended from the east end of the pedestrian bridge to the roundabout.

Well, here is a little carrott for you guys. I have known somethnig may be up but this is part of what I know and confirms what I am hearing. Surveyors were on the SoBro site yesterday. I think Tony G is closer to a start here.

WW has a blog post in the Post this morning.

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2013/2/7/site_work_done_for_proposed_sobro_skyscraper

3 people like this

Thanks Ron.  This would be a nice project to help Tony shake the rep that he is "all hat and no cattle". I think that's unfair, but the Signature proposal was a very high profile one, and when it died, it got a lot of press.  Still wish it were 10-15 floors taller.  I mean if you guys are going to be the "new Austin"... they have that sleek new "tallest" apartment tower and all.  So looking at Nashville's skyline and it's ridiculously flat appearance (as if there were some force in the atmosphere keeping buildings below 500 ft.), I am starting to wonder if there really are either regulatory or cost restrictions on building something over 400 ft.  I mean is it really that much more expensive to go higher, as opposed to say wider?  From the looks of the SoBro proposal, it looks awfully wide.  What if it were more narrow and a bit taler?  Just asking.

Edited by MLBrumby
1 person likes this

Still wish it were the first design, but then it wouldn't really fit Magellan's style...

So how would the building be oriented? Widest (curvy) side facing the river?  That would make some sense as the garage is sort of "tacked on" to the back where the original design blocked the Encore windows? The curvy sides would help the apartments on the west side also have a view of the downtown skyline too. Is that the way it will go?

Edited by MLBrumby

Does anybody no if the SoBro will have any high-end retail at the street level like a Versace?

So how would the building be oriented? Widest (curvy) side facing the river?  That would make some sense as the garage is sort of "tacked on" to the back where the original design blocked the Encore windows? The curvy sides would help the apartments on the west side also have a view of the downtown skyline too. Is that the way it will go?

i think the thought process was to have the units face North and South and everyone could be on their balcony with a view of the river to the East and downtown to the West. Not sure it would fit any other way. It appears the garage would be on the 3rd Ave. side of the property closest to Malloy. 

Still wish it were the first design, but then it wouldn't really fit Magellan's style...

I do like the older design, too (this one is fine...but the older one had a slender appeal to it). I still say someone ought to plop that old design on the parking lot behind the old downtown library @ Polk & Church.

Does anybody no if the SoBro will have any high-end retail at the street level like a Versace?

No, heard Versace was scouting out space in Hickory Hollow.
1 person likes this

Great news about SoBro! Crossing my fingers that this one will get rolling soon.

I'm trying to visualize what sort of impact SoBro would have on our skyline. At 33 floors of residential, it will be about the same height as the Pinnacle, right? Or would it possibly even be a smidgen taller. 

Edited by ariesjow

I would guess just a smidgen shorter, as the Pinnacle has the 5-story crown on top of 28 floors.  Given the higher ceilings per floor of office towers for utilities, telecom and the like, I'd say SoBro possibly might even be 40-50 feet shorter.  So I'd be looking at around 400' (wild@ss guess), given the flat roof of this design.  As such, I would expect it to just elongate the "flatness" of the skyline toward the river. 

Looking at this shot from this angle, I'd say it would obscure about half the Pinnacle.  From this view, it shouldn't add much to the skyline, but extend it to the right (just fill in more that cluster of buildings in SoBro). http://weather.weatherbug.com/weather-safety/online-weather-center/Camera/Camera.aspx?stat=NSHV1&camera=NSHV1

1 person likes this

My best guess is that it's about 395', which either way will make quite an impact on the SoBro skyline. I am still really wanting to see the connecting piece, though, that ties SoBro into the core. I hope whatever Swerdling comes up with makes an impact.

Hmmm, that's too bad as I'm sure it will be used for parking for that Democratic Party HQ building.

No, heard Versace was scouting out space in Hickory Hollow.

Please get your facts straight before posting. Versace is seeking space at "The Global Mall at The Crossings".

:)

Edited by nashvillwill
3 people like this

I noticed yesterday that the former American Legion building, near the corner of Union and Rosa Parks Place, is being demolished.   Too bad, I liked that building.  Wonder if anything is replacing it?  The demo permit is here:  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Codes/docs/permits/kd130207.pdf

No idea if anything is replacing it.

According to Metro's website, it's owned by Horne Development out of Knoxville and is only .25 acres. That means anything with a 10,000 sq ft footprint will be a tight fit (and an odd shape). MLBrumby might be right...it may just end up being parking. Unfortunately that is a pretty dead sector of downtown. If it were at another address, I might have more hope for a small lot being developed.