smeagolsfree

CBD/SoBro/RutledgeHill/Rolling Mill Hill Projects

Sounds like a politician simply meddling in an area where s/he does not understand the basics of zoning, much less construction.  First, it sounds like the "limit" that exists by statute was really no problem in getting the variance. If anything, it presented a bargaining chip for (what presumably) is a better design.  

• Like 1

here ya go. my own height restrictions. 

18869637692_ec37e28d80_z.jpgdowntownheight by willfry, on Flickr

Your perfect-dream map left out something crucial, even though it's not in the CBD.  You should scribe some RED on the East-bank block of 701 S 6th St.  It's located straight down under the "n" in the hyperlink "downtownheight" and horizontally in line with the "11-19" in the legend key.  That might provide a needed "easement" to liberal height constraints.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

Metro is looking to possibly bring in Live Nation or some other entertainment agency to book more concerts into Municipal Auditorium.  I have seen dozens of rock shows, hundreds of hockey games, and numerous circuses, corporate events, political rallies, wrestling matches, etc. there over the past three decades.  Granted, the acoustics aren't the best, but with some proper hanging baffles and strategic curtaining the echo factor could be brought under control.  The building has TONS of history with shows by Elvis, The Stones, Led Zeppelin, Beach Boys, James Brown, Michael Jackson, Elton John, and Ray Charles to name a few.  It was home to Charlie Daniel's hugely popular "Volunteer Jam" for decades. Every arena rock act you can name from the early 70s thru mid-90s played there--many on multiple occasions. (Check out the side-bar slide show to this article to see many cool pics of construction and acts that have played there over the past 50+ years)

That kind of history, along with the Musicians Hall of Fame on the ground level could be utilized to make this more of a destination facility again---much the same way the Ryman has become. And, as the article points out, the new Ascend Riverfront Amphitheater is showing that the touring world definitely thinks there is a place in this market for a 7-8,000 seat space.  There are about 6 months out of the year that an outdoor stage won't work, and The Muni could keep those tours flowing through here in the colder seasons.  

There are way too many of the classic arenas of the 50s/60s/70s being torn down.  This building has good bones, and good history that could easily be better parlayed into more frequent usage.

All of this could also help bring more people to the north side of CBD/Bicentennial Mall district in the evenings, the way the new ballpark will be doing in summers from now on.  I'm all for this...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/industries/music/2015/06/16/new-life-municipal-auditorium/28823729/

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 3

If you have a few minutes, I encourage you all to check out the Tennessean feature on the Municipal Auditorium, including the slide show about early discussions by city leaders (it was being mentioned as a need as early as the 1940s) through construction and on to present day.  There was a city-wide fundraising kickoff and show with essay contests.  Ground was broken in late 1958 and construction continued to 1962.  The massive girders supporting the dome were really an architectural feat for the time.  Also, you will see the barren Capitol (Redevelopment) district, cleared and replaced with JRP and lots of parkway landscaping.  By the time the auditorium opened, there were several buildings rising along JRP. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/industries/music/2015/06/16/new-life-municipal-auditorium/28823729/

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 4

Thanks for posting that. I kinda knew something like that was coming due to the scale of work they've been doing, but it's good to finally hear it. IMO, they should have done this day 1, but better late than never.

• Like 1

Very cool! Can you guys please post pics when it's done? Interesting that the lights can be dimmed. I wonder if that feature is on the At&t tower?

Also, I wonder how long before this is done to the pedestrian bridge? During the 4th of July they cover some of the lights with red and blue film to make it look red, white, and blue. LED lights would work better.

You mean the amphitheater?  Or is something new going up near Municipal Auditorium or War Memorial?

BTW:  Google street views have been updated in most of the CBD and midtown through April '15.  Lots of the stuff currently under construction is shown.

The bends of the mighty Cumberland River.  Very cool.

This is my make-out.  It acutally reminds me of large chunk of old-fashioned "ribbon candy".

Riverfront_art__Ascend_Amphi_zpsliu5lm83

The most prominent shape of the figure, at the stage of erection shown, appears to be the contour encompassing East Nashville.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

So since we are talking about artwork. What happened to Stix? It will be 2 years in Sept since they announced it?

So since we are talking about artwork. What happened to Stix? It will be 2 years in Sept since they announced it?

Pretty sure it's going up this summer sometime.

• Like 1