smeagolsfree

CBD/SoBro/RutledgeHill/Rolling Mill Hill Projects

Cool, but I was looking forward to an announcement of some sort of development.

Did that really require a mayoral press conference and announcement?

Exactly.  I know some people in the Cumberland River Compact, so I have known about this for a little while, but didn't think that it was such a big deal.  I mean it's cool that The Bridge Building will have a tenant other than Metro Parks and the event management company that handles the even space bookings.  But it must be a slow news day to stop the presses for this announcement.

Guess we will have to wait and see what North Point is going to do with the land they bought in SoBro. WW was able to determine the buyer. This is the same company that did the Home 2 Suites on Broadway. The land is on KVB between 4th and 5th that was owned by Mattews company. I will venture to say we will have at least two more hotels announced in the coming months on KVB. I do not expect masive height on any of them as these developers that own the properties are not known for anything over 12 stories or so. 

http://www.northpointhospitality.com/

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2012/12/20/will_sobro_land_buyer_build_hotel

Some green roof this turned out to be. That's pretty disappointing. I dunno much about them, but I don't like that they skimped on the area and it seems like the turf could be different. I dunno, anyone with more experience to comment?

525085_10151211714587746_1426538698_n.jp

It is not grass, it's a mix of several species of sedums.  I don't know about the individual species, but many sedums change color over the seasons, typically from green to bronze, and almost all of them bloom heavily with white, yellow or pink flowers in Spring or Summer, so we should expect a series of color changes.  I'm not sure if the plants adjusted well--they were planted when it was too hot and they may need to be replanted--but in general the color change should be seen as a feature, not a problem.  I wouldn't take the phrase "green roof" too literally.

• Like 1

sedum flower heads do frequently turn brown in winter. it is perennial, so I wouldn't be too worried. Also, the air exposed part of the plant may whither and fall off over the winter. As this organic matter decomposes it will provide nutrients back into the roof planters. That is, if it doesn't all get blown away during the 50mph gusts we are experiencing tonight ;)

It is not grass, it's a mix of several species of sedums.  I don't know about the individual species, but many sedums change color over the seasons, typically from green to bronze, and almost all of them bloom heavily with white, yellow or pink flowers in Spring or Summer, so we should expect a series of color changes.  I'm not sure if the plants adjusted well--they were planted when it was too hot and they may need to be replanted--but in general the color change should be seen as a feature, not a problem.  I wouldn't take the phrase "green roof" too literally.

Interesting...good to know.  I was a bit concerned when it seemed so patchy earlier in the year, and all of the brown just seemed to verify my fears.

nice picture of the MCC.

regarding the green roof:

as others mentioned it is probably a mixture of sedum, not grass, and the plants will change character with the seasons. it will require little maintenance, hopefully no watering after the first season, and certainly not mowing. that would somewhat defeat the purpose of the green roof. the primary reason to install a green roof is not to provide a lush, beautiful lawn or garden for viewing - though that is certainly possible - but it is to reduce energy needs in the building through increased insulation and decreased heat gain, and also to help manage water runoff.

i was also somewhat surprised at the apparently-reduced area for the green roof, and after a quick search discovered that it is approximately 4 acres. not as large as i thought it was supposed to be, but significant nonetheless i'd say. also, i believe they have future plans for installation of photovoltaics above the ballroom area. does anybody know more details?

green roof of sedum that's not very green: http://www.greengridroofs.com/inspired/galleries/Images/functional/Convent_Hill_Green_Roof.jpg

green grid product that's probably similar to what was used:

http://www.greengridroofs.com/index.htm

• Like 2

The aerial photos recently posted of the the new roundabout and SoBro area got me thinking that Peabody St would be cool if it was converted into a pedestrian friendly shopping area like the (albeit on a smaller scale) 3rd St Promenade in Santa Monica.  I think that could be awesome once the area gets built up and would give convention goers something other than Broadway/Gulch to walk to and would address the lack of downtown retail. Thoughts?

• Like 1

I mentioned something similar about another area of downtown, regarding the 3rd St Promenade. I think this would also work, but would require significant development of 5th Ave for it to be successful.

Anyone know the space between the buildings on 3rd St. Promenade listed above?  70-80' of right of way?

Can anyone outline anything in the US or oversees that is successful with a 15-30' space between the buildings?  I can think of a few places in Spain and Holland.

Anyone know the space between the buildings on 3rd St. Promenade listed above?  70-80' of right of way?

Can anyone outline anything in the US or oversees that is successful with a 15-30' space between the buildings?  I can think of a few places in Spain and Holland.

On a very small scale, Printer's Alley. By my crude Google Maps measuring tool guestimate, that's 17-24 feet wide.

Edited by UTgrad09

Some pretty exciting changes coming for Bridgestone Arena.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2013/1/4/changes_coming_to_bridgestone_arena

The south entrance facing the MCC will be revamped. A partial concrete wall replacement with glass. Retail/dining spaces to be added along Demonbreun and 5th Ave.The Police Precinct will move to KVB and that space will be opened up for private development.

SWEEEEEET!!!!!

• Like 3

Some pretty exciting changes coming for Bridgestone Arena.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2013/1/4/changes_coming_to_bridgestone_arena

The south entrance facing the MCC will be revamped. A partial concrete wall replacement with glass. Retail/dining spaces to be added along Demonbreun and 5th Ave.The Police Precinct will move to KVB and that space will be opened up for private development.

SWEEEEEET!!!!!

I knew of the plans for the Demonbreun side of the arena since last year's Skate of the Union (Predators). I haven't seen anything in terms of visuals, but the exact statement made by the Preds leadership was "the back door will become the front door." While I don't think it will, exactly, I think that now that there is actually stuff on Demonbreun (unlike when the arena opened 16 years ago), there is a need for a more attractive facade there.

What I had not heard was the bit about the central precinct moving(which I thought was a kind of cool location, though they sucked up all the parking on Broad & 6th). That, along with some minor changes to the front side of the arena, could be something to be excited about. With the current convention center and the arena, the active part of the street pretty much ends @ 5th, funneling into the arena entrance. If that and the old convention center get some new tenants, it could bring some new life to what is sort of a dead zone right now (well, part of that has to do with the steady incline that begins right there).