smeagolsfree

CBD/SoBro/RutledgeHill/Rolling Mill Hill Projects

I'll see if I can get more info.  The one I've heard about would be in the gulch, on one of the lots near 12th and Grundy.

Wasn't the Sheraton a Crowne Plaza for a while?

The hotel that now bears the Sheraton name was built as a Hyatt Regency, next became a Crowne Plaza, then Sheraton...at least, that is the best of my recollection.

In my U.S. travels in the last ten years, Crowne Plaza hotels have NOT been at the top of my list of favorites, but maybe a newly built one would be superior to my last stay at one a few miles north of downtown Austin!

So if you guys have never seen a building bubble, this is one. Room rates will come down a lot over the next few years IMO. I know most will disagree, but this is simple supply and demand.

Could be... but the great unknown is the MCC.  Certainly there will be a ceiling on demand at some point, but no one really knows what/when that will be as the behemoth MCC will generate XX in additional business.  I do think that the trendiness of Nashville as a destination is at a (temporary?) spike at the moment... but I saw something similar in Atlanta before the expansion of the GWCC and then (to a lesser extent) before the GA dome opened.  At the time GA dome opened we didn't have nearly as many prospects for future national events, although discussions had considered the (possibility at the time it was voted on) of the Olympics.  Point being that lots of hotels built up just after these announcements.  The bubble wasn't so big that it wasn't digested within 3-4 years ex-post.

I seriously doubt we would get a tower for a hotel, but I could be wrong. When the proposals came out for the 40 story Marriott and the 42 Peabody, the anchor hotel was to be 1000 rooms, but then was reduced to 800 for the Omni which has 800 rooms on floors 5-21. A I recall, the first 4 floors are meeting rooms, and 22 is the maintenance floor.  The outdoor deck is on 23,  and both are not full floors, but smaller "caps" if you will. In any case, they built 800 rooms in a building 280 feet.

Hotels are utilitarian in nature, and built to exact cost considerations. They want little or no wasted space. Every square foot has to be accounted for because of profitability considerations. Rentable square feet is the key. No wasted square footage.

So I doubt we see a tower here, especially on the 2nd Avenue site. Any height we get in the CBD, Gulch, or Midtown would be office, apartments or condos, and note that WES is not the 400+ foot behemoths they once were in original renderings. Eakin's new tower rendering is 18 stories, and I imagine around 220 feet.

Hensler is only going up 23 floors and 270 feet for his Laurel project, so Nashville getting a 400+ foot tower will in most cases be rare in the future. It's just to expensive.

Agree fully.

WW

On a totally different topic (the new Central Police Precinct building), I was at the neighborhood watch meeting for the East Police Precinct yesterday and I was asking about how the Central Precinct would fit in their new home in that tiny sliver next to the power station south of the convention center.  One of the officers is currently in the Central Precinct but transferring to East.  He said that the Central Precinct space inside the Bridgestone is so small that detectives do not have rooms to interview witnesses/suspects and that there are no restrooms.  So the officers actually have to use their key cards, exit the Central Precinct portion and go into the Arena portion of the building to use the restroom.  So he said that even as small as that lot is at KVB and Sixth, that it will actually give them much more room than they currently have.  He did confirm that some police parking will be inside the MCC, but that a lot of the officers will still have to park on the streets in Sobro similar to what they do now on the street between the Bridgestone and and First Baptist.

My senior prom was in the Crowne Plaza in 2000, now the Sheraton. I had the pleasure of staying at the Sheraton for a wedding 2 years ago while a prom was going on there, it was kinda weird.  Brought back a lot of memories. 

As for the idea of room rates dropping, they have to. there is a lack of supply for a city this size especially with this big of a tourist industry.  teh numbers are skewed by opryland but I mean convenient hotels.I currently live in west TN while looking for a new job in Nashville, and had planned on getting a hotel  downtown for my birthday a few weeks ago and getting a few friends to pitch in and hit the bars, The room rates were crazy, everything downtown and west end was $200 plus with most over $280.  my hotels of choice are usually the sheraton, the holiday inn downtown or the hotel indigo (now aloft) on west end.  they were all nearly $300 for a saturday night with nothing I could find going on that would raise the prices that much.  I had already avoided the actual week of my birthday because that was the SEC basketball tournament and most hotels were completely sold out.  

so, basically what I am saying is Nashville can support and needs several more downtown hotels and I only see it as a positive in bringing rates down, which in turn will bring more people in.  

On a totally different topic (the new Central Police Precinct building), I was at the neighborhood watch meeting for the East Police Precinct yesterday and I was asking about how the Central Precinct would fit in their new home in that tiny sliver next to the power station south of the convention center.  One of the officers is currently in the Central Precinct but transferring to East.  He said that the Central Precinct space inside the Bridgestone is so small that detectives do not have rooms to interview witnesses/suspects and that there are no restrooms.  So the officers actually have to use their key cards, exit the Central Precinct portion and go into the Arena portion of the building to use the restroom.  So he said that even as small as that lot is at KVB and Sixth, that it will actually give them much more room than they currently have.  He did confirm that some police parking will be inside the MCC, but that a lot of the officers will still have to park on the streets in Sobro similar to what they do now on the street between the Bridgestone and and First Baptist.

Interesting news, BW1.

Thanks for sharing.

WW

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Is anyone else wondering when the Hilton Garden Inn will get started on 3rd and Almond? They completed demolition a month ago! Anyone else impatient like me?

Secondly,has anyone heard who received the TIF money Curt indicated would be awarded this week? Tony? Swerdling? 

Edited by 5th & Main Urbanite

Thanks for sharing those!  It looks great.  I love the little post lamps along the street.  Unique little highlights like that are the types of things that make a neighborhood memorable.

It's far from beautiful, but I can think of many, many more buildings in Nashville (from any given angle) that I would label "hideous" before that. If that is hideous, what adjective do you use to describe the base of the James K Polk building? Or the Parkway Towers?

• Like 1

I wouldn't say that the Omni is hideous, just generic, which cannot be said for the Convention Center.

On the topic of the Ben West library, has anyone seen that campus on Foster Ave that is considered for the land swap?  That site is close to where I work, so I took a spin over there recently.  It is stunning.  I am not sure how many of those buildings Metro is getting, but if it is the whole site, then that is a steal for the tiny lot that houses the Ben West library.  Does someone know specifically which buildings are discussed in the land swap?  The building that actually houses Nashville School of the Arts is OK, but a lot of the other buildings are terrific brick buildings, many with historic details, on a pretty nice grassy campus that seems to cover several acres. 

Edited by bwithers1

Ben West Library - I'm surprised there's been so little discussion/interest in adaptive re-use of the building.  It seems few people see any value in it.  It actually has some impressive qualities, including the huge windows, and the upstairs exterior balcony around the perimeter.  I could see a restaurant going in part of the space, easily.  Or a gallery, or a performance space.  I'd be curious to see what would happen if the building were placed on the market with the condition it be reutilized.  

• Like 3

It looks more like a Maryland Farms or Cool Springs office building than it does a hotel. Sad that it's the "anchor" hotel for MCC.

I wouldn't say that the Omni is hideous, just generic, which cannot be said for the Convention Center.

On the topic of the Ben West library, has anyone seen that campus on Foster Ave that is considered for the land swap?  That site is close to where I work, so I took a spin over there recently.  It is stunning.  I am not sure how many of those buildings Metro is getting, but if it is the whole site, then that is a steal for the tiny lot that houses the Ben West library.  Does someone know specifically which buildings are discussed in the land swap?  The building that actually houses Nashville School of the Arts is OK, but a lot of the other buildings are terrific brick buildings, many with historic details, on a pretty nice grassy campus that seems to cover several acres.

I agree...which is why I can understand the deal from Metro's perspective. I'm not sure exactly what is involved, but it's both the land for NSA and the old Tennessee Preparatory School...so it is a good bit of land.

I do think it's a shame that the state only wants the library so they can have it as a surface parking lot...but for practical purposes, Metro comes out way, way ahead in this deal.

The library will certainly be an urban casualty...but let's face it, it's not like it will be an obstacle for development in that corner of downtown. There's nothing really going on up that way anyways.

It looks more like a Maryland Farms or Cool Springs office building than it does a hotel. Sad that it's the "anchor" hotel for MCC.

Aside from being probably 5x as tall as anything in Maryland Farms and twice as tall as anything in Cool Springs and being built right up to the street, sure.

Still an architectural snoozer IMHO.

It's a hotel built on a budget without any real competition...why would it be anything but a snoozer? It is better than a parking lot though.  I won't complain over the overuse of precast concrete. 

Still an architectural snoozer IMHO.

I'm fine with that opinion. I'm not fine with Cool Springs, or most especially Maryland Farms comparisons.

I'm fine with that opinion. I'm not fine with Cool Springs, or most especially Maryland Farms comparisons.

What a fine conversationalist you are!

Edited by G...yNot?