smeagolsfree

CBD/SoBro/RutledgeHill/Rolling Mill Hill Projects

7055 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, smeagolsfree said:

We said it on here first. They Should Have Done It To Begin With.

According to the NBJ article, the $20 million for renovations is coming from a surplus fund that currently has a balance of $50 million. Hopefully, the remaining $30M will be used to fix this oversight.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

We said it on here first. They Should Have Done It To Begin With.

Yeah...they should have known better than to build a HUGE, several-blocks box without any retail / restaurant spaces built in.  Seems they would have learned from the old CC that this is needed.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Glad to see this being added.

Edited by TNinVB

6 hours ago, titanhog said:

Now...if they'll eventually take a similar approach with the KVB side and add retail / restaurants / etc in the future, this building will truly be a homerun and finally have the street activation that area needs.

Damn...said pretty much the same thing in the thread Mark bumped. Great minds.

1 person likes this

Going back and upgrading seems to make sense, rather than let a location get that stigma of the restaurant that always closes. That's super hard to break. 

I would think doing big upgrades every 3 years would be less disruption to big conventions so they know what all will be available at any given time. Also allow them to do bigger more extensive upgrades with newer technology. 

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

I think that the designers (hopefully) always had in mind these options to develop the other street facades of the new convention center. Much better than the old convention center design where redeveloping the Broadway and 5th avenue sides were next to impossible due to the lack of forethought.

Edited by Nash_12South
1 person likes this

I wonder how soon that parking deck where this picture above being taken is demolished for development.  Everytime I park there it is a huge cluster as it is so old and outdated, getting in and out is a huge headache.  

4 hours ago, wreynol4 said:

I wonder how soon that parking deck where this picture above being taken is demolished for development.  Everytime I park there it is a huge cluster as it is so old and outdated, getting in and out is a huge headache.  

I drive a Ford F-150. I consider that garage "practice"! Hahaha

1 person likes this

Harry O's (5 stories, restaurant, club at former Trail West building site), moving along with foundational work.

Looking south from Broadway at corner of 3rd Ave. South:

Harry O's, Dec 25, 2016.JPG

2 people like this

20 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

I hope never, that historic building is the oldest parking structure in Nashville, and in terms of how it addresses the street and the appearance of its facade I'd say it's the best parking structure I've ever seen anywhere.  (Although I could do without the yellow panels on the corner storefront.  Still, though I've never been in there, that little corner store looks like exactly the kind of bodega-like shop we need more of downtown.  I'd be a lot more excited about a little sidewalk bodega at this point than another $100 a plate chef-driven restaurant.)

If you don't like it there are plenty of other places to park.  I wonder if it could be converted to other uses?  But hopefully it will be preserved.

I absolutely agree.  She is protected by the current overlay and will hopefully be preserved.

2 people like this

"Cities can take the lead by rewriting zoning and building codes to require garage developers to meet the minimal adaptability requirements."

Can't even imagine the ruckus that would cause if Nashville tried to do that. Change, CHANGE, WHHHHYYYYYYY! 

Maybe I'm just being cynical.