smeagolsfree

CBD/SoBro/RutledgeHill/Rolling Mill Hill Projects

16 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

The good thing is that this should be getting remedied a bit with the construction of LC Sobro and City Lights ongoing and the start of sixth ave south rumored to be soon. Another good thing is that there is plenty of space for more residences if someone has the money and will to go for it. 

I believe City Lights is the condo development alluded to recently on this board that will be STR permit eligible.   There are Stay Alfreds in most every new residential building in SoBro and The Gulch.   Frothy market indeed.

24 minutes ago, thenorthchannel said:

I believe City Lights is the condo development alluded to recently on this board that will be STR permit eligible.   There are Stay Alfreds in most every new residential building in SoBro and The Gulch.   Frothy market indeed.

Nope, Olmsted. But I get your point. LC Sobro will be rental apartments though, I’m not sure they would be game with STR’s. 

12 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

Nope, Olmsted. But I get your point. LC Sobro will be rental apartments though, I’m not sure they would be game with STR’s. 

See GrantHammond's comments from 8/12 in this thread.     There is a condo development rumored to be STR eligible in SoBro.  I am hearing it is City Lights.    Olmstead sold to Niido, and is not what I am referencing.  

2 minutes ago, thenorthchannel said:

See GrantHammond's comments from 8/12 in this thread.     There is a condo development rumored to be STR eligible in SoBro.  I am hearing it is City Lights.    Olmstead sold to Niido, and is not what I am referencing.  

Aaaaah ok, my apologies! That’s a bummer if they sell out and go STR. 

It’s buyer (renter) beware.    Better get a no STR clause in your lease or you may be in for an unpleasant surprise.      

• Like 1

Third Ave. South Storage (6 stories) update.

Looking east across Lafayette St. at intersection with 4th Ave. South:

3rd Ave South Storage, Aug 11, 2018, 1.jpg

Looking west along Lindsley Ave., 1/2 block east of 3rd Ave. South:

3rd Ave South Storage, Aug 11, 2018, 2.jpg

• Like 3

That's really interesting.  That's a jumping location so a hotel would be perfect there honestly.

• Like 3

Did they ever settle that dispute at One Nashville Place over the WeWork signage that the city said was illegal? 

• Like 2

I don’t remember if it’s been reported on here yet, but the bigger 20 ft LED kiosk at the corner of 5th and Demonbreun is lit up now. Seems a panel is out, though. 

129E71D4-7C5F-4D3A-8879-DC2BC9DFC55E.jpeg

• Like 4

The Nashville Rescue Mission was recently offered $55 million for their 3.5 acre property at the SE corner of Lafayette and 7th Ave. South according to a friend who is in town for a meeting of homeless missions from around the country. A couple of reasons it was turned down: 1) Apparently they have a multi-million dollar expansion plan in the works for the site, and 2) they really don't have any solid leads on where they could relocate within the center of town that would work as well as what they have right now. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, markhollin said:

The Nashville Rescue Mission was recently offered $55 million for their 3.5 acre property at the SE corner of Lafayette and 7th Ave. South according to a friend who is in town for a meeting of homeless missions from around the country. A couple of reasons it was turned down: 1) Apparently they have a multi-million dollar expansion plan in the works for the site, and 2) they really don't have any solid leads on where they could relocate within the center of town that would work as well as what they have right now. 

they're turning down $55 million????? why don't they buy a lot somewhere on the outskirts of downtown for $10 million and build an incredible facility?

• Like 2

I'm baffled, as well. $55M would go a pretty long way to building a facility of similar capacity and services to Room in the Inn.

• Like 1

Their property looks to be 5 acres and there doesn't look to be much for sale in that range near the core.  But yeah, $55 million.....

• Like 3

I do see your point, it may not be a 'real' offer. I do feel they should pursue it to flesh-out exactly what is the reality.

However, I recently walked their property after a concert at Third Man and 80% of it is parking lot....parking lot. How many homeless are driving up and checking in for the night? Meaning, I do not think they will need to find 3.5 acres to relocate. The area down hermitage seems promising to me to begin a search...not many people to complain.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

To get 3.5 acres in a location where the homeless could still get to them AND build new facilities would be expensive.  The $55M figure is hearsay, somewhat, but could put some ideas in the minds of their board members about their choices, including the possibility of moving.  Give them some time to noodle on it and talk with civic leaders about the long-term solution to serving our homeless.

However, the bigger issue is NIMBYism.  No matter where they want to go, there would be an uproar of "I want to do all I can for the homeless but shouldn't this facility be somewhere else?"  Imagine what could happen to your property value is the Rescue Mission built a huge facility next door!

If this were an auto repair shop, a meat and three, or any type of business, I join you in saying, "Take the money!"  But the Rescue Mission can't just pack up and move a mile or two down the street.  They must be near the community they serve while not being / becoming a pain to their neighbors.

This is an ministry that has a very good track record and is doing work that few others want to do.  They deserve our prayers and support while they figure out if there is a better solution.

Well stated Mr. Bond. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2018 at 7:45 AM, nashwatcher said:

they're turning down $55 million????? why don't they buy a lot somewhere on the outskirts of downtown for $10 million and build an incredible facility?

Facility like this cannot and should not be on the outskirts - even of the downtown area. This is a problem that needs to be focused on to be resolved, and one of best ways to to do that would be to have a heart of downtown/core location. I’ve walked through the parking lot myself when going to the art store behind the mission and as nashville_bound mentions, it’s a ton of empty parking lot. My guess is the current mission will continue operation and a large portion of the parking lot will be the expansion (ala fairground building improvements). 

On 8/31/2018 at 3:24 PM, nashwatcher said:

They could move near the homeless services facility Tony is building. Makes sense...

This could be a possibility, but again not an ideal location. Let’s be honest, some of the homeless population is not gonna venture far from where they panhandle, and will only use a shelter if it’s convienent to their location. This is another reason to keep the facility more centrally located so that the majority of the population will be inclined to use a facility such as this one. 

Now, 55million is a ton of money, but depending on the plans of expansion, they may be better off staying put. But I do agree in the fact that I hope they would flesh out any deal that is presented to them. 

• Like 3