smeagolsfree

CBD/SoBro/RutledgeHill/Rolling Mill Hill Projects

3 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Female country superstars might not want their names associated with drunk & disorderly throngs of sweaty bros and bridesmaids?

Valid point, and I realize the earlier comment was maybe in jest, but imagine the draw and immediate buzz generated by downtown's first bar associated with a female singer. A Reba or Carrie Underwood or Shania Twain influence would be an interesting twist to the mix downtown. Seems like now would be as good a time as any for it to happen.

• Like 2

As I reported with fencing up around the site a few weeks ago, the 3 and 4 story octagon-shaped building at  460 James Robertson Parkway is scheduled for demo.  It was once owned by the state government. Was purchased last year by the same group,  The Gettys Group, that is building a new TownePlace Suites next door.  No word yet what plans are for this lot.

More behind TheNashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21034642/octagon-building-set-for-demo

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 3.18.50 PM.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the property in red and bordered in white at the center of the frame:

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 3.20.05 PM.png

• Like 3

On 11/30/2018 at 9:46 AM, donNdonelson2 said:

Female country superstars might not want their names associated with drunk & disorderly throngs of sweaty bros and bridesmaids?

This is true, but at this point in the business world, the country men must be making out quite handsomely for doing nothing but associating their name to a bar. Look at some of the songs Miranda sings, pretty teh women sing about drinking sometimes just as much as men lol. 

On 11/30/2018 at 10:16 AM, wreynol4 said:

My comment was semi-sarcastic just FYI. I don’t want another celebrity owned bar.

If we are being honest with ourselves, it's a foregone conclusion that it'll be another celebrity bar. Or maybe a hotel developer will buy and get the second hotel with a lower broadway address

On 11/30/2018 at 12:54 PM, Jamie Hall said:

Valid point, and I realize the earlier comment was maybe in jest, but imagine the draw and immediate buzz generated by downtown's first bar associated with a female singer. A Reba or Carrie Underwood or Shania Twain influence would be an interesting twist to the mix downtown. Seems like now would be as good a time as any for it to happen.

My point exactly!

15 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

We are scheduling punch list on this project this week. New sidewalk, bioswale, main entry stair and ramp and new north patio were built (or re-built) The top right pane of the glass canopy is being replaced this month as a result of a mis-aimed hammer.

The intent of the glass canopy was to emphasize the new entrance. Rather than the whole project being a modern intervention on the building, the gable was replicated for historic purposes so that the modernity of the project is translated in the canopy. The design called for a certain number of directional lights to light the canopy, but those were VEd out we believe. The main entry stairs have stair lights in them and the north patio is lit from the new side wall.

The building looks really good: accessible, clean, historical, a great combination of new and old.  My regular running route takes me between this building and the Frist Center so I enjoy your week a couple of times every week.  Thank you, and congrats on your accomplishments here!

• Thanks 1

A tad off topic, but how has Pinnacle’s growth been in recent years? And are they a likely target to either be sold or grow tremendously in upcoming years?  And as a by product of that eventually need another tower?

Pinnacle may have been a target in early 2016 as they crossed the $10b in assets mark.  Which is a mark that comes with much more regulatory scrutiny. They’ve charged ahead since then and I don’t view them as a target any time soon.   I’m pulling for CapStar to grow via acquisition but they’ve taken some lumps since going public, both by writing off bad loans in behavioral healthcare and fighting an activist investor.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It would take years I know, but it would be awesome if  Pinnacle could get to be a competitor of BB&T and Regions. It’s highly unlikely I know, but that would be awesome.  Banks are just poster child’s for needing a nice shiny tower to put their name on, and we need more of that here. 

Edited by wreynol4
  • Like 3

Moxy Hotel SoBro (6 stories, 161 rooms, 2 restaurant/bars) update. Windows complete, painting continues.

Looking SW from intersection of Broadway and 2nd Ave:

Moxy Hotel SoBro, Nov 22, 2018, 1.jpg

Looking SW from 2nd Ave. South, 1/2 block south of Broadway:

Moxy Hotel SoBro, Nov 22, 2018, 2.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Moxy Hotel SoBro (6 stories, 161 rooms, 2 restaurant/bars) update. Windows complete, painting continues.

Looking SW from intersection of Broadway and 2nd Ave:

Moxy Hotel SoBro, Nov 22, 2018, 1.jpg

Looking SW from 2nd Ave. South, 1/2 block south of Broadway:

Moxy Hotel SoBro, Nov 22, 2018, 2.jpg

We were on site doing a site tour with high school students a couple weeks ago (sorry didn't have time to take pics) and two big elements that were being worked on 1) NES were continuing work on 3rd ave to get the new vault in place. The vault will go down and into the basement of the building. 2) the construction elevator will be moving outside to where you see the orange lift behind bootleggers so they can get the new central elevators installed. Target is April opening.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Its just me, but I never found much to be grand about that Sheraton. Pretty much the same old ugly lobby and a paint job on the outside. Not sure what the rooms look like , but I was never impressed with that hofel no matter what name it had on it. 

I stayed in the Sheraton Grand one night in May of 2017 and my room was very nice-it’s a BIG upgrade from the looks of the hotel before the renovation. The big drawback to the rooms is the small footprints of the bathrooms.

• Like 4

First Baptist Church has applied for a stormwater grading permit for the NE portion of their property, which is eventually slated for redevelopment along Broadway.  FBC Executive Pastor Thomas Crow said the church is simply preparing the site in case it can finalize moving forward on the redevelopment. No construction looms, he stressed.  “We’re trying to prepare the portion of our property that faces Broadway and Sixth for the possibility of future work,” Crow said. “Nothing major is imminent.”

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21036367/commission-to-hear-rezoning-for-hermitage-project

• Like 2

Sorry about the blurry pic (and I forgot to ask for a digital camera for Christmas), but wanted to show the bright white LED lighting on the side of the Marriott 3 brand hotel.   It starts on floor 2, goes to the top of floor 6 and then hangs a right.  Perhaps someone could get a better pic when they're in the area.

25161907_Marriott3Brands.thumb.jpg.7a2534f52ab7dc05cf57eb4b6d876641.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

After reading this investigative report by the NBJ on the people behind several of these country star bars downtown...it makes you wonder how long they'll actually be in business.  Sounds like some questionable characters.  Pasted a just a few lines of copy from the really long article below.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/12/13/booming-bars-big-stars-and-a-tangled-past-the.html

The Ohio-based company that’s spent millions of dollars on downtown real estate, teamed with some of the biggest stars in country music and established itself as a dominant force in the heart of Nashville’s surging tourist district is closely tied to Joel and Jon Field, twin brothers with felony convictions, prison sentences and scores of lawsuits, judgments and liens on their records.

The combination of those superstar licensing deals and nearly $40 million spent buying a cluster of buildings in downtown Nashville has catapulted T.C. Restaurant Group to the upper echelon of Nashville’s hospitality groups. The company is now the leading player in the bumper crop of celebrity-branded bars, is actively courting investors on its website and is eyeing continued growth here and elsewhere. 

A review of hundreds of pages of court filings and media reports in multiple states reveals a pattern in the way Joe and Jon Field have done business. That includes:

• Multiple civil lawsuits and disputes with contractors, landlords and vendors over unpaid bills, missing rent and misuse of funds. In Davidson County, at least six contractors won judgments against Field-related entities between 2005 and 2013;
  • Jon Field’s 2006 guilty plea for embezzling $1.3 million intended for contractors, a case that led to him being banned from traveling to Colorado, without permission, for 12 years; 
  • Both brothers’ guilty pleas on federal tax-related felonies in Ohio in 2014, leading to prison sentences for both; and
  • Repeated allegations in lawsuits and IRS criminal proceedings of one or both brothers concealing their ownership of various businesses and assets, which both admitted to in the 2014 tax cases. Similar allegations re-emerged in Nashville last year in a now-settled lawsuit.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1