smeagolsfree

CBD/SoBro/RutledgeHill/Rolling Mill Hill Projects

Luckily, I already have our club's suit jacket! I look forward to feeling exclusive.

UrbanPlanet Nashville isn't exclusive enough?

• Like 2

The Downtown Cultural District Overlay bill was ultimately disapproved by the Planning Commission last night.  There may be coverage in the newspapers.  NewsChannel5 was there that I know of.  Most of the Planning Commissioners were generally supportive of the idea, but were concerned that this item has not had sufficient vetting and discussion.  There were concerns about limiting non-country-themed retail and office uses on Broadway/2nd/Printer's Alley other than the existing uses that would be grandfathered in for their current locations.  One difficulty with or unintended consequence of grandfathering legally nonconforming uses is that landlords know that a business technically cannot relocate to another parcel and so they jack up the rent.

There was considerable discussion about changing one or more portions of the text, but ultimately the Commissioners (I think rightly) agreed that they can pass a rezoning with conditions but ultimately should not be rewriting zoning language from the bench.  They would have preferred to have the bill come back with revisions based on guidance from the Commissioners and some additional community meetings.

The parliamentary procedure problem was that the item was approved by Council on 1st reading, and so apparently there is a 30-day limit for a decision from the Planning Commission and the next Planning Commission hearing is not until after the bill is up for 2nd Council reading and public hearing on June 3rd.

So the Commissioners recommended disapproval as written, which means that the bill as written will require 27 Council votes to pass the public hearing.  But if the bill's language is approved on 2nd reading but then changed, the item will be referred back to the Planning Commission for another deliberation before the revised bill or a substitute bill is passed by the Council on 3rd reading. 

I learn somethin new at each of these hearings!

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 3

The Downtown Cultural District Overlay bill was ultimately disapproved by the Planning Commission last night.  There may be coverage in the newspapers.  NewsChannel5 was there that I know of.  Most of the Planning Commissioners were generally supportive of the idea, but were concerned that this item has not had sufficient vetting and discussion. 

I can't believe this bill is getting serious consideration and even more surprised that the PC is generally supportive.    I just think's it's bad law and bad precedent to legislate against entire categories of businesses.   This is our downtown commercial district, not a themepark.  

• Like 2

I would be ok with this overlay if the intent were to restrict the tenants to small businesses, but to restrict what types of businesses is not a good idea IMO. Many cities have ordinances limiting the ability of corporate chains to enter the market and I personally like it. In other words;

Drugstore- privately owned ok, walgreens not ok

Grocery- privately owned ok, Walmart not ok

Restaurant- private ok, margaritaville not ok.

But to say there can't be a drug store? What's next? You can't sell beer that's not made by InBev? You can't play music that wasn't recorded in Nashville?

I lived in Berkeley, CA and there was a massive focus on small business. It was wonderful. There was not a single big box store in the city. Sure, the boxes built up to the edges of the city in Albany and Oakland, but 95% (I made that percentage up) of businesses in Berkeley were privately owned. It made for a very tight knit community.

• Like 3

You may attribute too much to the virtues of big box prohibition. (And you had to ignore the demographic dissimilarities between Berkeley and Nashville to do it.) 

• Like 1

^Well, maybe I did.

And I don't necessarily think Nashville should go down that road of corporate prohibition. But I don't think we should enact that overlay as written.

Permit pulled for building @ 800 6TH AVE S for 1 million. I am not sure if the rendering below is the final product, but this is another rehab. I think the company that is going into part of it is Synergy Business Environments. This was announced a few months ago.

ehpqNpi.jpg

I believe that the current proposal is based on legislation in San Francisco. 

Planning Commissioner LeQuire suggested studying legislation in Telluride, CO and Jonesboro, TN (story telling festival) as models.    She raised the valid point that Nashville is about more than cowboy hats and boots.  It may be possible to keep a certain character in terms of small businesses rather than limiting categories of merchandise. 

By the way, the existing language only limits merchandise for stores that have more than 11 identical locations nationwide.  So anybody with less than 10 national locations would have no limitations on their type of merchandise sold.  Once they hit the 11 identical nationwide locations, then the merchandise limitation kicks into effect.

I would be ok with this overlay if the intent were to restrict the tenants to small businesses, but to restrict what types of businesses is not a good idea IMO. Many cities have ordinances limiting the ability of corporate chains to enter the market and I personally like it. In other words;
Drugstore- privately owned ok, walgreens not ok
Grocery- privately owned ok, Walmart not ok
Restaurant- private ok, margaritaville not ok.
But to say there can't be a drug store? What's next? You can't sell beer that's not made by InBev? You can't play music that wasn't recorded in Nashville?

I lived in Berkeley, CA and there was a massive focus on small business. It was wonderful. There was not a single big box store in the city. Sure, the boxes built up to the edges of the city in Albany and Oakland, but 95% (I made that percentage up) of businesses in Berkeley were privately owned. It made for a very tight knit community.

• Like 1

I hope the L&C building becomes an apartment or hotel property.

The Tennessean reporting that the L&C Tower is weighing options that include converting the office building into apartments.

Edited by FrankNash

The Slaughterhouse haunted house is cleaning out their building today on 6th Ave S, anyone heard anything about something possible happening with that building?

The Slaughterhouse haunted house is cleaning out their building today on 6th Ave S, anyone heard anything about something possible happening with that building?

They could just be changing their stuff inside for October. I would rather it be them moving out for some cool though.

They could just be changing their stuff inside for October. I would rather it be them moving out for some cool though.

I doubt there is an update.

That building is not going anywhere. It is a great old building and I do know he is looking into a rehab, but not sure where that stands.

There are two buildings on his property that will not be going anywhere.

• Like 1

As I drive by the Omni Hotel everyday to and from work, I'm wondering who owns the big parking lot directly across the street from the Omni's front doors and are there any plans for a major project there?

As I drive by the Omni Hotel everyday to and from work, I'm wondering who owns the big parking lot directly across the street from the Omni's front doors and are there any plans for a major project there?

I think that is owned by a hotel group out of Green Hills. They also bought the Bridges to Hearing Building that sits right behind it. I am not sure if Bert Matthews still owns part of the property that is next to it.

On a related note, in SoBro, Rocketown is planning an expansion. From the Tennessean.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/06/02/rocketowns-expansion-plans-include-skate-park-shelter/9886051/

Judging from the craziness downtown today it looks like Broadway and the area around Bridgestone/Hall of Fame will be on display tonight on the CMT Music Awards.  They've been rehearsing have some outdoor performances either during the red carpet or main show.  I know last year they had performances outside of Bridgestone and and it made the city look really cool.  Looks like the red carpet starts at 7 (6 central) with the main show starting at 8 (7 central).  Let the Fan Fair invasion begin!

• Like 1

I've got to say, I was thrilled to see all of the pedestrian activity as a result of the CMA fest. There were so many people on foot, it really felt like I was in a different place. I saw at least 50-100 people walking around the Broadway/West End split, who had obviously been downtown. Rarely do you see people making that walk. Auto traffic was a mess around the Arena area, but the foot traffic was impressive.

• Like 3